Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

strangest thing happened at 3am today!!!

Well i was sound asleep at 3am till the wind outside picked up and starting whistling through the front door and woke me up so i was laying there and then all of a sudden i heard the door bell ring at 3AM yes 3AM this morning i was like what that cant be and my wife got up and said "what was that" said it was the door bell its 3am so we got up and waked over to the door looked out the pep hole and there was a guy standing there in a black hood waiting he rang the door bell 2 times before we got to the door.
    Heck no we didnt open the door either he left to the back of the apartments. There has been some car break ins before here so we called the police and can you believe it they didnt even patrol here the cop passed by just on the outer parking lot and left didnt even come in to check around at all. No body is to be out after 10pm even adults hanging out here against housing rules and smoking now as of monday .

Has anybody have this happen to them? total stranger ok didnt know who it was.

I think i am going to set up a camera in my car dash and rear window at night and in my front window in my apartment i dont have my screen door anymore (wont let me install yet) so i cant put one there but i would. maybe out the bathroom window haha to point down at the door. i'll catch who is breaking in the cars and came to my door if they come again.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Had it happen a few times. Very scary indeed, all I had to do was go back to sleep and not worry. Triple lock doors at my house. Paranoid like that since I was a kid
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Racer
    I had someone ring my bell at 4:16am last week, no one at the front door. Went to the rear of the house, no one. Went back to bed, tired the next day because I hate being woke up.
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    A .410 under my bed makes me feel better. Happened to my wife while I was away a few years ago. Guy starts banging and pushing on the door at like 2am. Dog goes nuts and my wife goes downstairs but the guy was gone. Turns out he went a few doors down, found our neighbours front door unlocked and held the owner at knife point till the cops came and he gave up. Single shot, wife knows how to load it... I feel better.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    We live in a pretty good area, but we have had people do things like you guys mentioned. In fact we have had someone break in, but thanks to our Rottweiler the robber was gone in a hurry

RC Qualifier
    That's why I live in the booneys now instead of my old apartment
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    A .410 under my bed makes me feel better. Happened to my wife while I was away a few years ago. Guy starts banging and pushing on the door at like 2am. Dog goes nuts and my wife goes downstairs but the guy was gone. Turns out he went a few doors down, found our neighbours front door unlocked and held the owner at knife point till the cops came and he gave up. Single shot, wife knows how to load it... I feel better.
    yup thats what i did after only though i had my peace keeper as i father in law says in my dresser draw. I think its the new upgraded solar panels, everything new here even most of our furniture as well because we bought it new and dont use it much. Crazy people around here there going to be putting up a fence around not sure when though. We cant have firearms here but we do anyways they wont protect us and i have my hunting knives by my bed. My aim is spot on over 800FT wether throwing a knife/shooting practiced when i was young and seemed to stick. My cusin thought me how to throw curve balls at 100mph spot on him playing in the minor leagues.
    I do need to get me shot gun. Dog will come when we buy our house maybe an american bull dog or pit bull lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Had it happen a few times. Very scary indeed, all I had to do was go back to sleep and not worry. Triple lock doors at my house. Paranoid like that since I was a kid
    we used to have a security door which then we would have 2 dead bolts now they have this cheapy door dead bolt only.
    The house we buy may be in the boonies with about 3-5 acres and the nearest house is like 200-300 yards from the property line of the house we buy and a population of about 1000 i think it has give or take a few.

On topic: dont really need a knife or gun to handle someone but at the same time i dont want to hurt my self either like breaking my hand on them or something and have that hassle if you know what i mean its easier

RC Champion
    When my wife and I first moved into our old apartment, we forgot to lock the door one evening. I was sitting in the chair in the living room using my laptop, and my wife just happened to be walking past the front door when it flung open and a guy walked in with another guy behind him. My wife screamed, I jumped up throwing my laptop on the couch and started towards them yelling something I can't type here. They took off running and I chased them a ways. I think they were drunk and forgot to go up the extra flight of stairs to the apartment above us. I'm a very big guy, 6'6", so I hope I put a good scare into them lol.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Competitor
    If the doorbell rings at midnight and no one is there when you open it, then it's probably teenagers plying 'ding dong ditch' me being a teenager I used to do this until I grew up. A lot of teens do it. It's a popular game.
    Traxxas E-Revo Brushless 1/8
    2x2s 40c LiPos 24/54

RC poster
    Me and my girl have been dateing for 2 years about a month into our realationship I took my berretta m9 and my 12 gauge to the range she unloaded over 600 rounds before I was satisfied lol always have one in the chamber in the drawer at least until little ones come,peopke are just too crazy nowadays.

RC Champion
    it's hard for us english to understand why people go knocking on doors at silly o'clock in the morning when the owner could have a gun nearby. Someones gonna get dead. Around here we don't see much of that. we just see vandalism.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I am 6'5", 350lbs and can handle myself, but I am not bulletproof. If you are in your house, and have to protect yourself, it is always better to have a weapon you know how to use, and store safely.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    This happened to me at 3:30 in the morning. I live about 10 miles front the closest town In a rural area. ( I live on a farm) one night at 3:30am two guys walk to our door and look around. They ring the door bell and the dog goes nuts barking they take off running for their car but as there running my mom sees one of them holding a bottle with a cloth on top, pretty scary. Found out later its legal to shoot a intruder as long as he/her is in your house, they have to be through your doorstep, now this rule is in Canada so I don't know about other country's.

When I worked overnights we would get those calls all the time. Most of the time it was a drunk person looking for someone's house. Soon after the squads would request a room at the inn and head to Detox to drop them off.
    The Super Derecho

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    As Pavmentsurfer noted and others, there's a lot to be said for having a good dog around. While a large dog is nice, smaller dogs will do just fine as most are nothing more than walking and breathing alarm systems. I guarantee it is absolutely impossible to sneak up on our two Jack Russell Terriers. There can be times when I want to choke them due to barking at a chipmunk, rabbit or such, but nothing and I mean nothing approaches our house that we do not know about it.

It can be scary world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    As Pavmentsurfer noted and others, there's a lot to be said for having a good dog around. While a large dog is nice, smaller dogs will do just fine as most are nothing more than walking and breathing alarm systems. I guarantee it is absolutely impossible to sneak up on our two Jack Russell Terriers. There can be times when I want to choke them due to barking at a chipmunk, rabbit or such, but nothing and I mean nothing approaches our house that we do not know about it.

It can be scary world we live in.
    ooh yeah i know about how much dogs can bark, my mother in law during the summer when we watch her house when she leaves to Germany to visit her mom we watch 2 dogs use to be 3 but 1 died of cancer but man she has a half boarder collie/mix and a half dingo/coyote/sheperd both females and the collie barks at the horses, squirells, rabbits, birds, holes in the ground, air lastly LOL she barks at everything cars too the owner of the property too even us when we get there.

You know something really funny we have some friends that have a chow dog that howls and sings all the time and i mean all the time!!!!! in the middle of the night even they hate it and i'm thinking we will hate it too when we watch the animals and house this spring.
    I dont doubt about a dog or 2 being the best warning and protection.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    it's hard for us english to understand why people go knocking on doors at silly o'clock in the morning when the owner could have a gun nearby. Someones gonna get dead. Around here we don't see much of that. we just see vandalism.
    I'm English...
    Traxxas E-Revo Brushless 1/8
    2x2s 40c LiPos 24/54

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by B3NNZ View Post
    If the doorbell rings at midnight and no one is there when you open it, then it's probably teenagers plying 'ding dong ditch' me being a teenager I used to do this until I grew up. A lot of teens do it. It's a popular game.
    A few months back here in the bay area they had a rash of breakins, one person would ring the bell and two or more others would wait for the OK and run around back to break in if no one answers. This is why I ran to the back, this happened to one of my co-workers twice. They trashed his Ferrari the second time.
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Well I've had it sorta happen to me but it was so stupid.....
    So one day I was walking by my truck like I do all the time but then I quickly realized the rear sliding window was wide open and it scared the crap out of me!!!!!!! I was so worried because my grafe door was open at 5am and no one was up and the light was on... Nothing was gone but anyway I hopped in my ATV and went to everyone around
    telling every house owner around me... I was scared for a week until I found out my sister and her friend had gotten into it and left the window open.., I was so mad but what ever I guess lol
    Not a fun feeling

Dogs are only good alarms if they aren't constantly whining and barking, because lets be honest if they do eventually, you just ignore them. My dog is a lab mix and will whine and snore (a lot) but she isn't much of a barker unless something happens she doesn't appreciate. One time I had her in the back room because a repairman was coming to check our heat out. He set his tools down and got up the ladder and I hear growling, mind you I have only heard my dog growl once up to then in 6 years we had her. I opened the door and she was standing there staring at the bottom of the door, made me a little proud of her.

Fortunately we live a few blocks from the police station, we have had a late night when we had just gotten back from getting groceries at wal-mart, this lady knocked on our door and when I answered it she starts telling this story about renting a room from our neighbor and that she was just looking for some money for gas if we could help. My wife gave her $10. Knowing our neighbor (80yrs old with frequent visits from shady women at all hours of the night) yuck! Never seen her again, thank goodness. Both of our neighbors on either side of us have been broken into, but not our house and not a family that lives two houses down that has a whole family of dogs.
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

I've had it happen as well. When I open the door and they see a .357 in my hand and I ask them what they want this late of the night, they re-think their motives (if they are up to no good). You don't mess with a guy in his underwear holding a .357

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Dogs are only good alarms if they aren't constantly whining and barking, because lets be honest if they do eventually, you just ignore them. My dog is a lab mix and will whine and snore (a lot) but she isn't much of a barker unless something happens she doesn't appreciate.
    As I posted above, our JRT's bark at chipmunks, rabbits and such, but it is more of a "heh, let's play" type of bark. When a person is on the property or near the house, the barking becomes VERY angry, loud and primeval mean. It is impossible to not notice this angry alarm barking. When they see a stranger they become very angry and there is no mistaking the intent.

True story - About two years ago both JRT's began barking in alarm. First they were behind the couch near the front picture window then they ran to the back of the house while still barking. Then without warning the male JRT ran quickly towards the front picture window growling and barking. In one sudden lunge he jumped to the top coffee table, just touched the couch top and leaped face first into the picture window. He bounced off the double pane glass and without ever missing a beat let out a rage of angry growls and barks. I finally saw what he was barking at; a surveyor was working on the property next door. To this day we do not know why the JRT did not smash the window.

I would much rather have a quiet unless necessary dog any day of the week. Yappers constantly find things "threatening" to yap at. Sorry but I have to disagree with you.

If this:

Suddenly gets up and starts barking noone within 500 ft of our house will mistake it for anything but what it is. And that is if she is inside, a big dog bark means a heck of a lot more than a yapper, especially in my neighborhood where the yapping is a plenty.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm, our JRT's bark when strangers are around. If that is considered a "yapper" by some, OK. To each their own, right? But I do know when someone unwelcome is on the property and that addresses the very issue the OP had when he made this thread.

You really wouldn’t want to enter my house unexpected at night. You wouldn’t want to stray into his back yard either.

Woe to any person who would put a hand on, or threaten my wife.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i hope you guys mailbox are up in the curb cause i ain't shoving your mail in the door flap hahahahaha
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    Never happened. We have a Fox Terrier named Chloe who would distroy any invaders. She's primary. Secondary's are 2 little guys named Smith and Wesson.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

never had anything like that.

the worst thing that happened was there were these guys that set fire a car in the atv trail aty the end of the road.
    oh and 2 years ago somebody stole a car from my neighbor
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Our neighbors had their house broken into and some things stolen from them a few years back. That's the only breaking in I know of in our area, lived here 16 years. We live out in the country.
    Our dog is a Lab/mutt mixed. He barks at anyone even us if we've just pulled into the driveway or walk into the back door or a neighbor taking walk or bike ride. He will even roam the neighbor hood because it's HIS territory and if your not welcome, he'll let you know about it.
    We have to keep him inside when we hear the pack of coyotes howling every once in a while because he will go chasing them i kid you not.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    sounds scary i would not ope nthe Door at 3 am.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    i hope you guys mailbox are up in the curb cause i ain't shoving your mail in the door flap hahahahaha
    haha thats a good one my aunty doesnt deliever the mail if there isnt a box at the curb anymore after being attacked my 3 pitbulls that were not locked up being told they needed to lock up all dogs and mail carriers needed to have access to the box's.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowThunder View Post
    sounds scary i would not ope nthe Door at 3 am.
    I wont open the door either.

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    You really wouldn’t want to enter my house unexpected at night. You wouldn’t want to stray into his back yard either.

Woe to any person who would put a hand on, or threaten my wife.
    Very nice dog you have there no one will come in the yard thats for sure.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i know this one house were they have 3 greatdane, those dog are massively big, if it stand on 2 legs its about 7 feet tall and they bark scary too.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

ooh yeah i know how that is i used to walk to the store and there was a great dane that always use to chase me to and from the store until my dog started going with me then he stopped(my dog was sheperd/wild wolf had it from a puppy) they got into a fit a couple times and that ended that till our friends pitbulls would get out and that had to be handled too never did though stubburn pitbulls lol.
    Just be careful buddy of those dogs

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    They say a dog is the best form of defence for a home. But Ive seen lots of signs "beware of dog" with no dog so im not sure thats a deterrent anymore. They also so the sound of a Remington 870 action being cycled is the most recognizable gun sound in the world.

I know which I prefer to have if I need it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

If you aren't home...what would it matter. I don't have a beware of dog sign since my dog stays inside 99% of the time, only people that don't know she is their will find out the hard way.

RC Champion
    I'm blessed to live 4 miles out of town, but no one can find my house. And there's only one entry/exit which deters most I'm sure. Sure you can drive through the woods... for about 10 yards before you drop off an incline lol.
    Also have a pitbull, and yes a remmington 870 20 gauge pump by my bed haha.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    The closest police[R.C.M.P.] station is a half hour drive from us so we are fairly self reliant around here.

I have an aluminum Baseball Bat, absolutely No sense of humor and a wicked case of insomnia. Add to that a Great Pyrenese,Lab cross that only barks when someone comes skulking about, so our neighborhood has been virtually crime free for almost ten years now.

The funny part is that I weigh like a hundred and seventy pounds soaking wet! And the dog doesn't have a mean bone in his body,lol. But no one has bothered to test us yet.

The mutt may be a total push over but don't under estimate the old guy with the Bat, my father ran a skid row bar for thirty years and he taught me how to do the maximum amount of damage in the shortest possible time.

Two of the lessons that I learned in our old high crime neighborhood in the city,
    It really takes the fight out of a crook when you knock his kneecaps into the cheap seats!! Plus I always make sure to take a couple of good swings at their vehicle too,so its easier for the cops to find them later,lol.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Never happened to me but thank god I live in Texas. All you have to do is be on my property after dark and look like you are stealing something and I can legally shoot you dead.