Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    Thanks Craig. Between you and Mistercrash's builds, I deceded to dive off into this. My wife hates you guys now. LOL.

I just got the same esc and motor from Kershaw, myself. i call the esc, Bigfoot. it's massive in comparison to the monster mamba.

i don't know about yours, but with my esc and motor, the bullet connectors were a little loose fitting together. that can cause BIG problems. they need to be very snug fitting. I simply took a pair of needle nose pliers and gently spread the male side of the bullet so the prongs seperate a little more. i can't wait to see this build go together.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Racer
    I had not plugged it in so I will pay close attention to this. Yes this ESC is huge. And looks awesome. Yes it is coming together, only thing I am undecided on is a bearing kit from Boca. I want the orange seal kit that cost $411.00 for all the bearings. I will proably do that later. Parts are still coming in. I expect it will be another week or so for all the parts to be here. So I figure I will start this after Christmas. Between work and cub scouts and all the running for my 3 kids time is limited. Ok getting antsy and ready to start. I hope I can do the entire assembly in one or two days. I figure I need to locktight everything without a locknut.

blue loctite.......

MORE pic...............
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Quote Originally Posted by clp71220 View Post
    I had not plugged it in so I will pay close attention to this. Yes this ESC is huge. And looks awesome. Yes it is coming together, only thing I am undecided on is a bearing kit from Boca. I want the orange seal kit that cost $411.00 for all the bearings. I will proably do that later. Parts are still coming in. I expect it will be another week or so for all the parts to be here. So I figure I will start this after Christmas. Between work and cub scouts and all the running for my 3 kids time is limited. Ok getting antsy and ready to start. I hope I can do the entire assembly in one or two days. I figure I need to locktight everything without a locknut.
    imo, i would pass on the bearings. i've been doing this for 27 years an i've never seen a bearing brand make a noticeable difference overall.

RC Racer
    Thanks. Point taken I won't bother with the boca bearings.

RC Racer
    Here are a few more pictures of some parts I have in so far.

Won two of these on ebay so far and plan to upgrade them to the TiNi hardend gears.

Last edited by clp71220; 12-12-2012 at 08:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Yeah I'd pass on the bearings...
    ERBE, MERV BB

RC Qualifier
    looks awesome so far.i also am getting the same chassis so i will be watching close since i have already done the diff swap.i have not striped any gears yet but for some reason broke the diff housing.the case seems to be made out of pot metal hope i dont brake anymore.as soon as santa comes i'll be doing the same build.thanks for the pics

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    I've been running revos since they first came out, brushed and brushless and i've never broken a knuckle. I do some pretty gnarly parking lot jumping and bashing....lots of skatepark stuff and bmx track stuff too.
    We've broken two knuckles, two front a-arms, and a rear a-arm in the past two months.
    Arm and knuckle broke hitting trash can at speed, arm broke hitting a post at maybe 5mph, knuckle cracked hitting a small rock on the beach at maybe 25mph.

Everything is rpm now and I hit a telephone support cable at full speed (45mph) with the drivers side front wheel.
    Car tumbled about 20 feet. Only damage was a broken push rod.

Let us know how that kd brushless system works out. I am considering it for my erbe build
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Go for the yellow seals great bearings and a bit more affordable!I have them in my merv with a neu 1112 1/y running 4s going for 75+ mph speed runs and I just put them in my erbe
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-13-2012 at 11:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Great looking build so far!
    Great bearings won't make a basher noticeably faster or smoother, but they will last longer. Esp ceramic bearings around the diff.

Do you know any idea what brand the Kershaw lipos are? I can't imagine he's doing more than re branding a sky or similar lipo.

RC Racer
    I can not say for sure what brand of batterys they are. But you can ask him. He is quick to respond to questions. they are more affordable than some of the others out there. I am sure they come from china as I have used china made batterys in my airplanes for years with no problems.

RC Racer
    Ordered my TiNi Gears today. Received the Bulkheads to day so I will be working on fitting the lst2's into those tonight.

RC Racer
    I must have an illness. I just purchased another 1/10 e-revo from eBay.

RC Racer

yeah, man...i know. i've got it too....
    i bought a brand new roller off of ebay last week .

RC Champion
    It's contagious. We started with a Tmaxx 3 months ago and it just snowballed into 3 jatos, 3 tmaxx's, an emaxx, stampede, mini revo, and 7 Revos. Waiting on my chassis for my e-revo build.
    We also bought a few thousand dollars worth of parts for the Revos at a huge discount.
    My personal collection of the above list is 3 Revos and the stampede + the e-revo.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    Oh man. :0

Nice....ooohhhh, the addiction .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Well a bit of usefull information. When using the Kershaw Designs dog bone kit with the losi lst2 differentials you need to let Dan Kershaw know you will be using the lst2 so he can provide a shorter front shaft and a 8 mm bore to 6 mm cups for the dogbones.

Well a bit of usefull information. When using the Kershaw Designs dog bone kit with the losi lst2 differentials you need to let Dan Kershaw know you will be using the lst2 so he can provide a shorter front shaft and a 8 mm bore to 6 mm cups for the dogbones.
    Interesting...show us a pic once installed.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Will do Craig. I had more parts come in today. Took a picture of everything so far.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the info on the dog bones i just ordered a set for mine said it would be about two weeks to get them to me.he's really quick to reply to emails it amazing.i have sent emails to other companies like 6 months ago and i am still waiting for a reply

Can't hide that from the Wife............^.............teeheeheee...

RC Racer
    Nope sure cant 87GN that's why i bought her one too. figured she would not complain too much if she has one too.
    I ordered my HPP Germany parts today. They have a sale on hubs right now. And they have the V2 motor brace back in stock for now.

RC Racer

Differential mods for lst2

One thing I have seen on this forum was the lack of before and after pictures for the bulkhead mods. So I made some in comparison.

The following are pictures of comparison. side by side before and after pictures. This is the Front left Bulkhead orientation would be standing at the rear of the car and the car facing forward.

Front Right. Top is stock bottom is Modded.

This would be the rear Right. I had already modded the additional side to this one before I realized I had not taken a picture.

This is the rear left.

Front Bulkheads both Modded. side by side.

Rear Bulkhead both Modded. side by side.

An attempt at reinforcing the now weak areas from the material removal. I am trying locktite plastic epoxy rated at 3200psi in strength. Be generous with the application. I may fill the cups with Black silicone to help better conform the LST2 to the cup. I will first wrap the lst2 in a cling wrap then press it into the cups and allow it to cure.OR I will just use hot glue like some of the others have done. Ill report back on which I use and how it does.

Some use sanding drums and I use this sculpting bit. The first Bulkheads took me about 1 hour to do by taking a little off until I found the fit, The second set took me 5 minutes using this bit be careful this bit has a lot of bite.
    Last edited by clp71220; 12-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.

are the diff housing turned down.....??

RC Racer
    This is something I have read about in the forums. When a pin comes loose and the damage it can do. I am an electrician by trade so I love electrical tape. So I made some strips and used them stretched very tightly around the pinned areas on the drive shafts. 3M electrical tape has a multiplying factor for number of wraps and how much force it exerts to the object it is applied to. You can cut your finger off if you wrap it to so many times. Don't try it at home fellas and don't use it on the dogs tail.

RC Racer
    no 87GN they are top facing up. Look closely and you can see the imprint that says TOP. You may need your glasses to see it.

OOooooo now the pic load.........lol... still can't see one..... post 63 looks like they have been worked down....
    Anyways on another forum they put the housing in a lathe & turned down, some of the OD so there would be less to take off the bulk head......

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    OOooooo now the pic load.........lol... still can't see one..... post 63 looks like they have been worked down....
    Anyways on another forum they put the housing in a lathe & turned down, some of the OD so there would be less to take off the bulk head......
    Curious as to how you turn down something in a lathe that isnt completely round?

Liking the idea of building back up the bulk of the bulkheads from the outside. Truth be known the material used is probably stronger than the plastic of the bulkheads.

Im a bit suprised at Traxxas for not beefing this up seeing how there have been reports of issues since the truck was released. The cost would be negligible compared to the sticker price of the truck as it is now.

RC Racer
    Yes I filed down the front differential as an experiment. But realized it was not nessary. Now I know this differential is taller than the stock so I filed down the top a few mm.maybe 2mm and test fitting it to the chassis soon. As I have my parts at my other home. My wife and kids live in another town and I still have my house and maintain my job there over 90 miles away. Lots of traveling involved there.

RC Champion
    Im going to have a go with aluminum cups and outer housings and see if I can get those to work. Just need to right ones.
    Im checking out different LST2 diff mods to gather ideas, mostly on the bulkhead issue. Then Ill be ahead of the game if I decided to go that route. If nothing else Ive got a good stockpile of brand new diffs, outer housing, bearings and all, for next to nothing. Chop shops have them non stop and I just kept putting in low max offers and won one or two here and there. Think its funny though to know that I paid less than $5 each and see one up now with the bid at $31.

Did the same with bulkheads. Have two complete sets, paid 99 cents plus shipping for them.

RC Racer
    Sent you a pm Justin. 87gn I wish i had a lathe. I almost bought a mini lathe for making parts for pinewood derby cars last year.

RC Racer
    Well i could not stand it anymore. I played santa clause last night so the kids could get there Summits. And we could run them today. And I installed my Leopard Esc and Kershaw motor last night. Nice strong powerful runs. Then I blew out a tire. LoL off to the hobby shop. Here's a picture of me and my youngest two that got there summits. I am still waiting on parts to begin my build.

SWEET.........^
    I like the tape idea I just ordered some orange..........
    Still looking for the thread on lathing the housing. thought I knew where it was, on another forum.......

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's great! I pretty much did that too with a new revo and e maxx! I keep saying this (new rims and tires) are part of Christmas presents!

RC Racer
    Replacing the blown tire. I hope this is not going to be a regular accurance. The truck was very stable on top end but the tires may be my weak link.

Blown tire next to new tire.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Keep an eye on them every once in a while. I had two tires that the glue started coming loose. But I just ran a few 50+ mph runs!