Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Cool, thanks. Can you post a pic of your sons summit with the wheels showing.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Jusr wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything beacuse Ive been watching to see the Kershaw chassis but havent seen it? I wanted to se before I pulled the trigger but got impatient and ordered one up in black this morning with the center done kit and otther little odds and ends while I was at it. I picked up a used Gorillamax G3R chassis the other day that needs a little refurb work but I have a feeling the Kershaw will come out better. Im not liking the fact the an EREVO tranny will not fit the Gmax, only old style emaxx trannys without machining an adaptor. The best part of both is Im not tied down the the battery comparment size of the ERBE stock chassis.

RC Racer
    Here you go Zepher.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Yes Justin I believe you will like the Kershaw chassis because it has a lot of room for The largest batteries. All I am waiting on is my 8mm bore cups and a short front dog bone from Kershaw. And this thing will be built in a matter of hours.
    If its not breaken then your not racing.

RC Qualifier
    here's my erevo with the kershaw chassis http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/...odd1090/erevo/

RC Champion
    Ah thats right you went to the Losi diffs. Think Im sticking to beefed up standard diffs with aluminum cups for now. Probably go for the outer diff case and aluminum bulkheads eventually. It would be nice is either traaxxas or one of the aftermarket companies would produce a bulkhead/diff combo similar to the losi diffs. A bit suprised they havent yet, probably because all the aftermarket companies are mostly just copying existing designs and running them through a CNC and counting the $$. Next time I get a chance to go by the steel fabricator I have an inside connection to Im going to take a bunch of diff ring and pinion gears to put through his two furnaces, one for hardening and the other for annealing.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 02-01-2013 at 08:12 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The other weakness is the spider gears

RC Qualifier
    i didnt do the 1/8 th diffs in this one.i went stock and now i almost only run on 4's.soooooooooooooo much more fun and much easier to drive and plus i have built 1 grandson a erevo brushed and the other 1 is getting one built for his b-day that will also be brushed and those will run 2 2s too evx2 and i am very surprised myself one of the companies hasnt stepped up and did the diffs and bulks either.if they are counting money now they would need a bill counter if they did it.please let me know how the hardening works.i think on my next build i will use strc outer cases and aluminum cups.i'll post pics of the one i did the 1/8th diffs in

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    The other weakness is the spider gears
    i have yet to blow up the spiders yet.everytime its been the ring gear thats gone out on me

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If a company like flm can make hybrid bulkheads to fit an 1/8 scale diff in an e maxx one for a revo would be doable

RC Qualifier
    yes it should be i thought i had read a post a while back that they were coming out with them.but i sent them an email like4 or 5 months ago and still have never heard anything back from them.but on another note heres the pic of the one i did the 1/8th diff swap in http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/...0/1st%20Erevo/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How do you like the roll cage?

RC Champion
    Believe it or not the best diff cups I have found for the ERBE is........drum roll.........FLM cups for the slash 4x4!
    All of the others are built on the brushed specs and you cant get the carrier cross suport in without grinding it down. The FLM cups for the slash 4x4 are a perfect fit. I found this out when I put ERBE gear set in my slash 4x4 diffs. Everything is a direct match except the output shafts for the ERBE are machined different on the ends for the larger outdrives. Other than that the shaft diameter, gears etc are all the same. They can be tricky to find but I found them HERE. They only come in silver now. First few I got were red but not like it matters as you cant see them. I got all the parts and built 8 diffs with everything but hardened ring and pinion gears. I put a .01 shim at the ends of the carrier pins to keep the spider gears from direct contact with the housing as I have seen some post about issuses with the spider gears rubbing into the aluminum on some cups so I nipped it before it happened. Tore one down after a month of use and no wear. I chunked the packaging on the shims so cant remember who amde them and for what purpose, I just went to my LHS with the cross carrier pin in hand and matched them up. I do know it was a hinge pin shim kit.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 02-02-2013 at 10:18 AM.

RC Champion
    post 844 and this was the first double post!

Well might as well use it!

The Kershaw chassis appear to be stocked up. I know he said they are 2 week delays from order to ship and he gets more time to make them in the off season but I ordered everything up and have a USPS priority tracking number already! Like less than an hour after the order was placed!
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 02-02-2013 at 10:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    How do you like the roll cage?
    i love it easy to take off if i need to do anything.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Believe it or not the best diff cups I have found for the ERBE is........drum roll.........FLM cups for the slash 4x4!
    All of the others are built on the brushed specs and you cant get the carrier cross suport in without grinding it down. The FLM cups for the slash 4x4 are a perfect fit. I found this out when I put ERBE gear set in my slash 4x4 diffs. Everything is a direct match except the output shafts for the ERBE are machined different on the ends for the larger outdrives. Other than that the shaft diameter, gears etc are all the same. They can be tricky to find but I found them HERE. They only come in silver now. First few I got were red but not like it matters as you cant see them. I got all the parts and built 8 diffs with everything but hardened ring and pinion gears. I put a .01 shim at the ends of the carrier pins to keep the spider gears from direct contact with the housing as I have seen some post about issuses with the spider gears rubbing into the aluminum on some cups so I nipped it before it happened. Tore one down after a month of use and no wear. I chunked the packaging on the shims so cant remember who amde them and for what purpose, I just went to my LHS with the cross carrier pin in hand and matched them up. I do know it was a hinge pin shim kit.
    hey thanks for the info on the diff cups thats def a big help

RC Champion
    Got my Kershaw Chassis in yesterday. Wasnt impressed with the packing and the fresh out of the box scratches on the black finish on the bottom tray. Ive got the Servo, tranny, center dogbone, front and rear ends over but had to run out and get some hardware. I extremely not impressed with the hardware the came with it for attaching the bottom tray. Cheap junk that already had some corrosion on a few of the screws. I understand that its hard to find 3mm flathead screws 50mm long but a trip to home depot was easy enough to get 6-32x2 stainless. Not to impressed with the way the servo mounts either so ill be looking for alternate hardware for that as well but whats in the bag will work for now. I like the chassis but not thoroughly impressed with the hardware. Have to get a list together and order up all stainless for it, and no NOT RC screwz garbage.

RC Racer
    I decided to get the aluminum finish so I could polish it. I knew it was going to get scratches. Sorry to hear the black finish did not meet the expectations. Have you contacted Kershaw? As for the hardware I am going to try it and see how it fairs. Aluminum and stainless steel may not mix very well. I may wait abit longer before I convert it over. I will be testing some hybrid bulkheads for the losi mod for medas360 and I want to use the stock chassis for the testing because I need to be hard on them to see if they break.

RC Champion
    I just emailed Dan a bit ago. After all that the screws arent long enough. Im guessing the supports were not milled correctly and Im tempted to grind the bottom of them down. When everything is assembled they poke about 2 threads through the top which isnt enough to get the nuts started let alone far enough for the nylon to grab.

I dont see an issue with stainless and aluminum. It will fair better than cheap corroded steel that this hardware is made out of. The rest appears to be hardened but still steel that will rust all the same.

During the assembly process I found one side of my front bulkhead snapped in half at the rear of the hole where the outdrive sticks out. I just replaced them and put one run on them and didnt hit anything and didnt even run it hard. Guess its my turn in the aw crap barrel!

As for the bottom getting scratched I intend on putting a protector on it. Too much shiny aluminum doesnt do it for me.

Some times you just can't win.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Some times you just can't win.....
    LOL, Everyone has to have their turn in the aw crap barrel. I just dont like it when its my turn!
    No response from Dan yet and not having any luck finding screws that will work as is that are stocked anywhere. 3x55mm would be ideal but they just dont exist. #6-32x2 is too short and #6x32x2 1/2 will have to be cut down as they are too long but no one stocks those and there isnt such a critter as #6-32x2 1/4. Im gonna eyeball it some more to see if grinding 1/4 inch off the supports is a viable solution or if I can use shorter hardware from the top and bottom and still have the structural integrity.

RC Champion
    Well got the screw problem sorted out. Used a belt sander and trimmed just enough off the bottom tabs of the supports where I could get the screws to start, less than 1/8". Tightening them compressed the supports to where when it started to give a bit of resistance the screws were at the top of the nuts. Im guessing this was just a bad run on the supports. Now to figuring out how to mount my Tekin RX8 in a place that was made for a Mamba Monster. Best thing is Im not limited to a very slim selection of batteres that fit the stock chassis and dont have to buy anymore just for that when I already had a stock pile of 2s and 3s hardcase batteries for my slash 4x4. The side supports for the batteries are very snug, it actually takes a little effort to get them in, not excessive though. Thats a good thing!

Obligatory crappy phone pic.

RC Champion
    Hah! Snappy RC now makes the teking RX8 mount so I dont have to fab anything!

RC Qualifier
    that looks awesome man.yeah i didn't care much for the hardware in the kit either.well really just the screws that hold the bottom plate on.did you look at hexcrews.com for the screws you wanted?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    that looks awesome man.yeah i didn't care much for the hardware in the kit either.well really just the screws that hold the bottom plate on.did you look at hexcrews.com for the screws you wanted?
    The rest of the kit was OK, not my first choice but OK. The bottom plate hardware included in the kit is horrendous! I emailed Dan and still no reply.
    Didnt know about the site but just had a look and saved it.
    They didnt have what is needed for the bottom plate. Needs M3x50mm to match what came with the kit.
    I got what I needed from Home Depot for now. Just used 6-32x2 stainless. They are just a little bigger in diameter but that wasnt a bad thing as they are threaded all the way through. The bottom plate is held on by the threading into the supports then just jacked it into position and put the nuts on. I would have liked to had just a little longer so I could use a flat washer on the top. I ordered up some 6-32x2 1/2 and will cut them to fit precisely so I can use a nice fat stainless flat washer on the top.

i can't wait to hear how the kershaw chassis does on a good bashing. i'm hesitant because of the lcg battery placement. Please make sure you guys do a good review. I'm really curious to see if this is a viable option over the plastic one on a heavy bash session.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Nice one mate...looking good .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    i can't wait to hear how the kershaw chassis does on a good bashing. i'm hesitant because of the lcg battery placement. Please make sure you guys do a good review. I'm really curious to see if this is a viable option over the plastic one on a heavy bash session.
    From what i can see of the construction it seems very viable. The only issue with LCG is ground clearance if you are bashing in rough terrain but thats a given on any build with this type of chassis. The weak spots on the plastic are known and why most add the braces as the thin plastic tangs in the front and rear are begging to break, I broke one before I did the brace mod in the rear and it took out my rear bulkhead with it. I pryed a bit on the top plae without over doing it before I assembled it and it didnt want to give. Two things that made me go this route. One the battery restraint in the stock chassis and of course the LCG. I dont run slow on rough terrain, usually the opposite and if it can be jumped it gets jumped so Im not worrying bottoming out in that fashion. Ground clearnance really hasnt changed that much if at all. I just measured this one with the 40 series road rage tires and compared it against my other with 40 series big joes. This one the ride height at the bottom of the Chassis sits 2 1/2 inches where the stocker with big joes is 3 inches and Im no so sure that isnt just because of the tires. Both have Axial 40 series beadlocks. If you compare the two in chassis thinkness top to bottom this one is about 1/2" more. I can fit 3s Gens Ace 5000mAh 40C batteries in there with room to spare. They are 39.8mm high, nearly 10mm too tall to fit in the stock chassis. When I get the motor mounted up and finished with the preliminary build on this one Ill put comparable side tires on both to show any ground clearance differences, which I dont think will be a lot it any. Im tossing around the idea of trying out an XO-1 big block and MMM extreme for the halibut which will also result in MIPs at least. Still not ready to take the LST2 diff plunge. Im sitting on 8 spare complete diff assemblies with aluminum cups and all. Been considering the aluminum bulkheads but shutter every time I see the price tag at nearly $200 for the front and rear set. Illl just keep a good supply of bulkheads and diffs on hand as Ive been picking them up from the chop shops for next to nothing. They are contantly up for auction and I just low bid them and every now and then won one or two at very low prices. I think I have enough for now of the diffs and also have 2 full new bulkhead sets I got the same way. I got the RD logics tranny on ebay for cheap too. Already had the metal idler. I just replaced the bearings with ceramic and its good to go, havent run it yet. On this one Im going with aluminum uppers on the A Arms but stock lowers which I also have a good supply of...ebay again.

RC Qualifier
    i found on mine that the chassis stiffened it up ALOT!!!!! i had to loosen my springs to soften it up about half way.i havent really had a chance since then to get it out for a go again but i think it will work fine now.

RC Racer
    Well I have a tracking number for my custom dog bone and 8 mm bore cups from Kershaw.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-14-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Off-topic

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    i found on mine that the chassis stiffened it up ALOT!!!!! i had to loosen my springs to soften it up about half way.i havent really had a chance since then to get it out for a go again but i think it will work fine now.
    Thanks for the tip. I havent finished just yet. Waiting for a few parts, mostly the snappy RC RX8 mount, the rest can be done at any time as its just further upgrades but kinda need to mount the ESC and Im not going to be running it anytime soon. They found Nemo and he is dumping snow all over the northeast as I type this. Thinking we are going to get lucky with less than 6" though. Poor people in Boston are looking at a potential 3'!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    Here's a review if you're interested. Been there done that.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=erbe

Look at posts

It's a good chassis for speed runs but don't ever jump it more than 2 feet high.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Champion
    Nice review but thats the old one. Were up to V3 now. Quite a bit different in a lot of ways. Thicker aluminum, different top plate, different bottom plate, different support, different hardware, different mounting to front and rear bulkheads, RX box mount, different angles..I could go on. I think the battery straps are the same but thats about it. The vid shows a guy beating the crap out of it and the vid is the V2.1

RC Qualifier
    i'm ready to get the erevo 5t conversion.i dont know why but i want something huge to drive around.if i dont get that i'm also looking at a thunder tiger mt4 that thing looks pretty Bad anyone else have 1 or know anything about them?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-14-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Language

RC Enthusiast
    I have both the erevo snd MT4 G3. I love them both. I will say that IMO the MT4 feels a little smoother to me. The ERBE is faster than Mt4 g3 also. So I guess I like them about the same.

RC Qualifier
    thank you for your input still cant decide if i want the erevo 5t conversion or the mt4 g3

8" stretch......What are you going to use for a body. I was going to build a 1/5 E Maxx but not having a body....

RC Champion
    I was teetering when I bought the standard chassis. What made up my mind was the cost of 1/5 bodies.
    1/8, 1/10 bodies ~$35
    1/5 bodies $150 and up.
    I just decided that when Im ready to get 1/5 scale Im gonna do it right with a Baja.

1/5 body fit, unless you extend the A Arms for the extra width & or rims with big off set, it will look a bit odd......
    Last edited by 87 GN; 02-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.

RC Competitor
    Anyone get an email back from dan about the hardware in the kit? Just asking because I have emailed twice since last monday asking about update on my center custom dogbone kitwith no response.

clp71220 I see you got shipping notice about your custom axles the 8th. When did you order them?

That v3 chassis looks pretty tempting, justinthyme your truck looks great.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
    Anyone get an email back from dan about the hardware in the kit? Just asking because I have emailed twice since last monday asking about update on my center custom dogbone kitwith no response.

clp71220 I see you got shipping notice about your custom axles the 8th. When did you order them?

That v3 chassis looks pretty tempting, justinthyme your truck looks great.
    Thanks Killa, its not done yet!
    He did reply to me about the hardware that connects the bottom plate to the top and the issues I was having. His reply about the issues was that this was the first he had heard of it and asked quesions that I had already answered when I sent the email. As for the hardware that I dont care for the response was that if he gets reports that its breaking he will look at finding something beefier.

Well Im not one to wait, I see a potential problem I nip it in the budd. Cheap hardware is going to rust faster than iron in the great salt lake. It already had corrosion present on a few pieces when I got it. Not that big of a deal, I replaced it with good quality stainless for a few bucks. Probably end up going through all of it and doing the same just because Im that picky.

Ive heard a few say they have tracking info on their custom dog bones. I asked him about a motor mount for putting a 1717 in the ERBE and he told me he was out of them and it was going to be another 2 months before he sent another order to his machinist.