Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With my badlands the foams were much bigger than the tire and it all squeezed in there

RC Racer
    Yeah call it a mistake. I guess I messed these foams up. I can see why you do not cut them because when it compresses the sides walls have no support. So I ordered the Pro-Line 1/10 Truck Closed Cell Foam inserts. It says it is firmer than stock and that sounds like something I would be interested in. I read where others have used these with the 40 series tires. So I will report back on this when I get them.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Tire-Inserts-2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ha. I was going to say order some closed cell foams! I have a pair in my merv nice and firm!

RC Racer
    I recently ordered a set of Pro Line trenchers and Road Rage tyres. the foam insets were both the same width. I think the proline ones are just a one size foam. The foams fitted the trenchers fine, but would have been to tight for road rage's thererfore for those. I trimmed them a little so that the foam was not too packed in the tyre, which seems to have worked for me. I only trimmed to road rae ones so that the width of the foam was the same as the overall width of the tyre in question.

Trenchers = foam similar width to overall tyre width.

Road Rage = needed about 1cm trimmed.

RC Racer
    I appreciate all the input guys. Yes Yip I trimmed 1" off the sides and made them the same width as the tire. Once i put the foam in they seemed like the foam was not reaching out to the side walls. It's alright. I will try these closed cell foams. They look nice and I believe they will perform beter on pavement. Keep up the post guys. Im really enjoying the communication on our projects.

RC Champion
    Clp, is it cold where you are? It was around 45* a few days ago when I drove my erevo with the road rage tires and the car was hard to drive with 4s. Kept sliding or spinning out under throttle.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    It was 36 deg f here this morning. These road rage tires will be used for racing in the spring. I understand temperatures effects on high traction tires from running my c4 and c5 vettes. Those Z rated Michelin pilot sport tires will not grip until they are hot.

RC Champion
    When trimming the foams dont trim the to match the tread. All you need to trim is the area the gets near the bead. Flip them inside out then cut around at a 45deg angle about 1/2 inch deep and you are golden. Personally I prefer the closed cell foams which dont need trimming.

RC Racer
    justin I'll give your foam trimming technique a try. The closed cells I ordered don't need trimming. I got a few more sets of tire and foams in the mail. And I got my HPP stuff in also. Still waiting on custom dog bone.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why do you need a custom dog bone?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by clp71220 View Post
    justin I'll give your foam trimming technique a try. The closed cells I ordered don't need trimming. I got a few more sets of tire and foams in the mail. And I got my HPP stuff in also. Still waiting on custom dog bone.
    This vid shows trimming the foams although he does it the hard way, its easier to flip them inside out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g52QA2tTPNI

RC Racer

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Why do you need a custom dog bone?
    Well the front drive shaft is to long. These are the Kershaw Designs dog bone kit. Money Pit has the same problem. When you swap to the lst2 you will need a shorter front bone because the differential pinion is a bit longer.

RC Racer
    Well I'm going to try and do the lst2 differentials tonight.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's a lot of fun! Do you have a selection of shims?
    Craig never mentioned that he had problems with the front cvd

RC Racer
    Yes I have the shims. But I may not need the new ones as the diffs have the shims in them already. Craig used the traxxas cvd and the losi mod to hook it up. Post#27 on his build.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I did the same as craig
    My diffs needed a few of the 10mm shims and a few pinion shims

RC Racer
    As luck would have it I discovered that one of my lst2's was missing all four shims on the spider gears. I had not really payed much attention to this detail last time I had it apart.It was covered in black Grease so I missed it. So I ordered a few sets of the b3538's from ebay. The other differential went together with no problems and all the parts where accounted for. I purchased both of these Differentials used from ebay and obviously I scored one from a dishonest seller. His name kidbiker_a from San Francisco, California Dont buy stuff from this guy on the ebay.

Last edited by clp71220; 01-06-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clp71220 View Post
    Well the front drive shaft is to long. These are the Kershaw Designs dog bone kit. Money Pit has the same problem. When you swap to the lst2 you will need a shorter front bone because the differential pinion is a bit longer.
    Did you guys do a different mod altogether??

EDIT: just read post #175 .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-06-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Yeap Im using a different center drive system. Kershaw Designs Center Dog Bone kit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are you running 50k up front?

RC Racer
    Yes I will be running the 50K differential lube in the front. But it is the one that needs the spider gear shims. It still feels fairly smooth without the shims. but I am not taking a chance on not having them. I have ordered the gear set that includes the shims needed. Part# b3538

Last edited by clp71220; 01-06-2013 at 11:01 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good thing I read yours. I didn't remember seeing those and I pulled mine apart and they didn't have them either!another 21.00 with priority

Same here better safe then sorry. Too bad they don't sell them separately!
    I will have to reshim the pinion with the spider gears closer
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-06-2013 at 11:34 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Craig has another tip. A3501 shims for behind the larger gear on the cutdown shafts for the axles I just ordered those too

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Racer
    Yes I see that. I wonder why some of them have them and some dont. Another order to place. Good info guys. Maybe we can get this right with everyone watching like this.

Well if you guys differentials did not have the spider gear shims either then I have to take back my comment on post #177 where I said dont buy stuff from kidbiker_a on ebay. It is obvious now that they may have come from the manufacture like this. hmmm very interesting indeed.
    Last edited by clp71220; 01-07-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Here you go mate...this is from post post #161...post #162 for the parts list

When installing in the diff, this is what I did.

I fitted the pin which I took from LOSI LOSB3540 Differential Outdrive Set...(I only needed the pin for the traxxas drive axle); I then put 1 x 6mm shim and the o-ring.

Good luck with it mate...not sure why they didn't come with those shims that are missing for the spider gears...for me I built my diffs from scratch.

My diffs are still going strong...no reported issues.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Thanks Craig for the the pictures. I am unsure why mine and the others did not have the spider gear shims either. I thought some kid had took mine apart and forgot to put them back in. But three people with the same issue sounds more like a factory issue. I am very glad that I caught this now. And so glad the other guys realized this was an issue for them also. There is no telling what would have happened had we not installed the shims. It may not have been an issue. Because the differentials feel almost identical. But the one without the shims is slightly harder to turn.

As you can see from post #181 above that the exploded view shows the shims but not the ones on the cv outputs...it also shows the square diff cup not the heavy duty one like I used.

In post #184 above you see the heavy duty diff cup like I used showing the shims A3501 on the CV outputs...I captured this info in post #28 on my thread.

Like you say, fortunately this was caught before too late.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    I have ordered all the shims. And we will pick this back up when they arrive. I am sure glad that I have you guys helping out with this information. I only wish I had this kind of help back when I was learing how to run and tune the nitro Duratrax Warheads I have. It would have been nice and much easier to learn. I still have trouble keeping these two trucks running for more than 10 minutes. I am always having to fix something. Here is a pic of one of my other money pits, as I have many. LOL

RC Racer
    Well bad news on the closed cell 1/10 tire foam inserts. They are to small for the 40's proline says there is nothing else to fit them at the moment. So i guess ill order some more regular foam. But ill first look else where. I am sure i saw something some where that might work.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's a bummer. Hate when that happens

RC Racer
    I found a 40 series foam from OFNA that may fit the ticket. Ill report back on these when they arrive. Shop around because there are better prices out there. Like at amainhobbies.com

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXNNK9&P=8

If its not breaken then your not racing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I will let you know how the aluminum bulkhead goes. Had to do it!
    I built a soap box as a kid! I think good bearings are the key!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Double post

RC Champion
    The only 40 series tires I used were Panther Pythons. For those tires the best inserts were the Trinity two stage 40 series inserts but they don't make them anymore. Racers Edge still makes two stage 40 series foams. But that was used for offroad tires, I have no idea how it would make the truck handle with onroad tires.
    These inserts were very large and were actually stuffed inside the tires making them do a nice crown that made the truck handle so well on dirt. Maybe that crown is not a good thing for onroad tires.
    Last edited by mistercrash; 01-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer
    I did a test fit. It seems that the OFNA series 40 inserts may be OK. I did one wrap of Gorilla tape on these tires. May need to do two wraps. What do you guys think.

This is one of the pinewood derby cars my son and I have built. We have won first place in our pack race and the district race 2 years in a row now. The district race usually has anywhere between 50 to 70 cars racing.

Last edited by clp71220; 01-11-2013 at 10:27 PM.

min of two wraps of tapes.....jm2c
    I do three wraps...& balance

edit look at the 3 inch Monkey tape & cut the width down
    for really good fit........
    Last edited by 87 GN; 01-12-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: not done
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On my badlands I did two and those are much wider

RC Racer
    Mounted some 40 series Trenchers on some proline wheels today made 3 wraps of Gorilla tape on each of them. And I discovered that my son had destroyed the front end of his Summit stuff like the front bulkheads both sides and missing skid plate and bent push rods. But I am still building pinewood derby cars at the moment. I'll get back on this soon as I can.

RC Racer
    Shimmed up the LST2 differentials. Still waiting on my dog bone and 8mm bore cups from Kershaw. Not in any hurry as Kershaw is a great guy to do buisness with. And I have 3 pinewood derby car orders from ebay. So buisness is picking up on that.