RC Qualifier

what size batteries ?

Getting a erevo brushless with the mamba setup and I am clueless about lipos fill me in on what is what like the 2s and 3s the the 50c means vs a 40c etc.... and what brands are good for the money spc, onyx, Traxxas etc...thanks for your help
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    C rating is the discharge rate - the higher the better

Mah is the run time - the higher the longer you can drive for before you have to change batteries

2S and 3S refers to the number of cells in the battery. A two cell battery (2S) will have less power than a three cell (3S).

2S provides 7.4V compared to 11.1V for 3S. Given that the E-Revo runs on 2 batteries you will effectively be running on 4S or 6S.

If you are new to lipos and the ERBE then I highly highly recommend going with 4S (buy 2 x 2S lipos). You WILL break things using 6S.

As for brands - go the SPC lipos! You can fit the 2S 9000mah lipos in the battery trays but the next size down (8200mah I think) are also a good option - if in stock!

Don't buy Traxxas lipos - good batteries just overpriced!

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Qualifier
    Nice explanation Erbesumm simple just what I was hoping...thanks again appreciate it

RC Qualifier
    Also Timber, make sure the batteries are the same when your running 2. When I got my Erevo, I bought (2) 2s and (2) 3s and find Im running 6s most of the time. But as ErbeSumm suggests start on the 4s and get used to the truck. CVD's would be a good idea on 6s also. I have not borken a single part on 6s (but Ive got CVD's and RPM everything)
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    Alright thanks firemanJBI thanks for the tips, all I could find in stock was spc 6500mah 2s 65C, will these work for now and what kinda of run time will that get me? just curious before I order them....thanks again for the help

RC Qualifier
    Well I never really run my pac dead. But with (2) these

http://www.venom-group.com/50C-3S-50...category=19506

I can get an hour for sure.

And these are what I run for 4s (2 of them)

http://www.venom-group.com/20C-2S-50...category=19506

RC Qualifier
    you get an hour run time on the 3s or the 2s ones? is that in parallel or series? Thanks again FiremanJBI

RC Champion
    Your run time with any given battery will vary depending on how much WOT you use, tires, gearing and the terrain you drive on. The more wide open the more current draw, which will lessen the/your run time.

I have been using the SPC 6500 mah @ 65c for about 5 months now and my run times are at a good 35 minutes on a off road track using Badlands.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    you get an hour run time on the 3s or the 2s ones? is that in parallel or series? Thanks again FiremanJBI
    Yeah with the (2) 3s listed running mamba monster (series (6s)) with 18/54 gearing I can get a hour. This is mostly pavement with light grass running on stock wheels.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    I keep asking peeps to call it 4s or 6s. OTOH 2s 180000 would run all night and be as fun as watching paint dry.

What's better a long runtime or a short charge time? Depends on your charger. You'll need an 8amp 2s charger to zap up in about an 90min for those 8000mah+ packs.

RC Enthusiast
    I Use Duratrax Onyx 8000 Mah 35C. Gives Me About 55 Min Of Run Time, And Plenty Of Power. Plus Their Customer Service Is Good Like Traxxas. One Of Mine Started To Not Last As Long, So I Called Them Up And They Replaced Them BOTH And I Had Them In 2 Days. No Charge To Me. I Have Always Used O N Y X Batteries And They Are Good Price's And Good Batteries.