Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

E-Revo and Revo-E spur and pinion gear pitch...

are they the same? I guess a better question is what is the mod pitch of the Revo and E-Revo? Why do i see two types of pitch gear on ebay for the Revos, 1.0M and 0.8M pitch? Is there an advantage of one over the other? if i choose one or the other do i need to choose a corresponding pinion? can someone explain this to me?

RC Qualifier
    Mod .8 is 32p. Mod 1 is a little coarser. They will not mesh properly. Mod 1 may handle more power better but mod .8 seems to to pretty decent in an e revo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i prefer mod1 over mod.8 less to worry about stripping and easier to mesh too.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    ha ha...u guys are awesome...but...umm...u still didn't answer my initial question...the stock...is it Mod 0.8 or Mod 1?...although u did answer part of the questions....so mod 1 will handle more power...excellent...will go with mod 1...now the next question is...and it's probably a no brainer...but...since i'm stupid...i'll ask anyways...will i need a mod 1 pinion to go along with the spur gear...or either will work?

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    ha ha...u guys are awesome...but...umm...u still didn't answer my initial question...the stock...is it Mod 0.8 or Mod 1?...although u did answer part of the questions....so mod 1 will handle more power...excellent...will go with mod 1...now the next question is...and it's probably a no brainer...but...since i'm stupid...i'll ask anyways...will i need a mod 1 pinion to go along with the spur gear...or either will work?
    n-Revos use Mod 1. E-Revos use Mod 0.8 which for our purposes is equivalent to 32P.
    Both spur and pinion need to be the same pitch.
    If you have more power than a properly-meshed Mod 0.8 gearset can handle, the spur and pinion will not be the first parts you will need to upgrade.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    n-Revos use Mod 1. E-Revos use Mod 0.8 which for our purposes is equivalent to 32P.
    Both spur and pinion need to be the same pitch.
    If you have more power than a properly-meshed Mod 0.8 gearset can handle, the spur and pinion will not be the first parts you will need to upgrade.
    thanks for explaining that for me...i greatly appreciate your help...

again...thanks guys...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    yes, if you choose you use mod1, they both have to be the same pitch or otherwise they'll never work.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Your Xo-1 is mod1 also. IvVaum

RC Qualifier
    another stupid question...will the X0-1 spur gear fit the revo?...i see a lot of empty spaces...but..i do see the three holes for mounting the spur...

RC Qualifier
    yet another stupid question...is it better to go with the plastic/delrin spur gear...or with the metal spur gear?...pros and cons?

RC poster
    yet another stupid question...is it better to go with the plastic/delrin spur gear...or with the metal spur gear?...pros and cons?
    everyone i know runs a metal pinion on a plastic spur, metal to metal wears out both components but metal to plastic has little wear to no wear on the pinion and is cheaper to replace..
    also if you are worried about stripping gears and whatnot dw about it when they are correctly meshed it would take a but load of power to strip them (like i mean A BUTTLOAD)

metal to metal= noisy operation and wears out both components so there usually more expensive to fix

No question is silly, however a unresearched one is silly... eg (not searching and reading up before posting is silly... researching it and then not understanding makes it a good question)
    Last edited by zwebx; 12-12-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: left out info

RC Qualifier
    thanks guys...but...for some reason...the largest mod1 spur gear that i can find on ebay is 40T...what is up with that?...

so the question becomes...what's the largest mod1 spur gear out there???

why is there more 0.8P spur gears than 1.0P ???

RC Qualifier
    yet another dumber question...how do i increase the speed?...larger pinion small spur gear? or small pinion larger spur gear? or larger pinion larger spur? or finally...small pinion small spur?...yeap that about covers all the different combo...

RC poster
    yet another dumber question...how do i increase the speed?...larger pinion small spur gear? or small pinion larger spur gear? or larger pinion larger spur? or finally...small pinion small spur?...yeap that about covers all the different combo...
    you can increase speed if you only want to do speed runs because if you increase highest top speed you will cook either your engine or esc nether the less...
    Look at your mountain bike as a reference to gearing... larger pinion= longer gearing (a larger increase than just a smaller spur) smaller spur= longer gearing (but lesser of a increase than a larger pinion)
    ^that rule is also reversible if you decrease the size (aka tooth count) on a pinion you will decrease gearing by a larger factor than changing the spur (reason for that is pinion is to the factor of the spur then you got your difs also in your factor as because they are down the line but you will not have to worry about that)

Pretty much work out how much cells is powering your vehicle and use a reccomended ratio and watch your temps

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zwebx View Post
    you can increase speed if you only want to do speed runs because if you increase highest top speed you will cook either your engine or esc nether the less...
    Look at your mountain bike as a reference to gearing... larger pinion= longer gearing (a larger increase than just a smaller spur) smaller spur= longer gearing (but lesser of a increase than a larger pinion)
    ^that rule is also reversible if you decrease the size (aka tooth count) on a pinion you will decrease gearing by a larger factor than changing the spur (reason for that is pinion is to the factor of the spur then you got your difs also in your factor as because they are down the line but you will not have to worry about that)

Pretty much work out how much cells is powering your vehicle and use a reccomended ratio and watch your temps
    oh yeah...ur right...i've never thought of it that way...but now that u mention it...i totally get it now...thanks...

so what is the recommended ratio?...i was on this site that 87GN linked...and was playing with the speed calculator...and withe X0-1 pinion of 34T and the revo mod1 spur of 36T (that's almost a 1:1 ratio)...it was saying theoretical speeds of 165mph with the 2200kv motor...and 200.91mph with the t8 2650kv motor...of course...it's gonna overheat like crazy...but for speed runs...a 5min overheat should be ok...right?...

RC poster
    oh yeah...ur right...i've never thought of it that way...but now that u mention it...i totally get it now...thanks...

so what is the recommended ratio?...i was on this site that 87GN linked...and was playing with the speed calculator...and withe X0-1 pinion of 34T and the revo mod1 spur of 36T (that's almost a 1:1 ratio)...it was saying theoretical speeds of 165mph with the 2200kv motor...and 200.91mph with the t8 2650kv motor...of course...it's gonna overheat like crazy...but for speed runs...a 5min overheat should be ok...right?...
    dont forget, the longer the gear ratio more likley the longer its going to take there and also it may be too long and then you may not be able to top out your motor (factor in road drag and plus the drag from the downforce and whatnot) needles to say try it and see what happens :P they can heat up really quick and you would probably be able to do like one pass :P

smaller spur faster
    larger pinon faster
    keep the plastic spur
    jm2c
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stay plastic -cheap to replace and you can grab a few different sizes and if something goes bad its a weak link

IDB the 1717 motor has a 6mm shaft..........
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4915616

I believe it it could over rev the motor.......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??