RC Qualifier

Using 3rd thumb channel as shifter is that possible?

Since I have a T-Maxx 3.3 and do not have the Reverse gears nor now really see a reason to get them and install them I have this 3rd channel and a thumb Switch not being used. is there a way to set up the 3.3 tranny so I can use the Thumb Lever to shift from 1st to second and vice-versa?
    Is that what the Opti-drive unit is for?
    has anyone doen that and what are the Pro's cons of it? I was thinking it would come in handy some times if I could keep it in 1st or be able to shift when I wanted although it may be something that makes driving too complicated trying to remember when to shift up or down especially if the truck is far enough away or in enough traffic you cannot hear the engine well enough.
    I am really curious as I have noticed some times my tranny seems to shift sooner then other times even though I do not adjust the shift point, One time it almost seemed like it was not going to shift then it did then on the way back past me it seemed to shift about 3/4 of the way it did previously, and that was all in about 10 seconds so it was not due to heat/cold or any changes in the settings.
    T-Maxx 3.3 :)

With the design of the auto shifting transmission you could not make it manual shift without major modifications.
    It would be easier to modify the old EMaxx manual shift tranny to fit the tmaxx chassis than to modify any of the stock tmaxx transmissions to manual.
    Opti drive only controls the shift from forward to reverse & vise/versa.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

No need really,,, you can adjust when your tranny shifts to 2nd now..
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    Oh I thought Opti-Drive was something you could use to do both, so Opti drive takes teh place of the Reverse Servo? Or is it just a safety Lockout so you don't go into reverse while at WOT?
    Ya Nitronaught I tried that and Moved teh screw about 1/32-1/16 clockwise ( states that makes shift later on decal) and now it wont go into second. so I backed it back off to where I started but it started raining a Monsoon so I will have to test it tomorrow to see if it will go into second and not sooner then I want it to.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the Info and Replys, I will have this all Figured out and be a Pro at the T-Maxx soon especially with all the excellent help and Knowledge I have received from this forum.

Optidrive is a safety feature that replaced a set of clutches preventing the accidental engagement of reverse when the sensors detected movement in the tranny. IT also acted as a low voltage failsafe...

Honestly... In time you will find you won't need reverse, as your driving skills get better... ME, I'd go FOC and stay that way... Reverse and optidrive add a lot more complications and weight.... HEnce why I feel Traxxas dropped reverse in the 4907 and 4908 models offering it as an upgrade....
    FOC is lighter, stronger, and increases effieciency... Get's to top rpms way quicker without all that stuff in it...

But,,, that's just me....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...