RC Racer

Cool Modding your Summit to accept LiPo batteries

So I decided to make the jump to LiPo's in my Summit. I went with the SPC 8200mAh packs. These are a thicker pack and fit perfectly within the width of the battery bay. You do, however, have to modify a few things to make them fit nice and clean. I decided to drop a thread out here with pics and things I recommend doing before you tear off into the sunset!!! So let's begin.

The first thing you have to do is remove both right and left rear battery vents and trim them up. I am going to run the wires through the vent opening. I am using Traxxas connectors, so I have to remove more than if you are using a different style that is smaller. This can be done very easily with an Exacto knife or razor blade. The pics here show the main webbing removed but the corners still need to be smoothed off. You do not want any sharp edges that could potentially cut into the wiring of the battery.

Right vent with two webs removed.

Left vent with one web removed and one trimmed about half. You could cut the entire second web out if you like.

Now that you have those done, you can reinstall them back onto the chassis.

Next, we remove the battery filler (used for thinner batteries). This piece will tilt down and pop right out.

RC Racer

Cool Adjusting the battery stoppers

Next, we need to adjust the battery stoppers. The locations I have set are specifically for the SPC 8200 pack. Just adjust yours accordingly to keep the batteries from moving around while driving.

Front-left location before and after battery install

Front-right location before and after battery install

Before we get to actually installing the batteries, there is one more critical area you need to check. I noticed when I was test fitting the left battery that something was scraping the top of it during installation and removal. Here is the culprit. The outer screw for the ESC sticks down into the battery bay a little. Just remove the screw, file it down a bit, and reinstall

Also, take your battery packs and wrap some electrical tape around the bottom near the pack itself. Just a little added protection from and of the plastic!
    Last edited by Piranha-z; 12-01-2012 at 12:09 AM.

RC Racer

Battery install

OK, on to the fun part, installing the actual battery. There is a method to this and once I did it a couple times, it's a breeze.

On the left side, you need to fish the wires through and then bring the battery in at a slight angle as shown.

Once you have the bulk of the wires through the opening and the rear of the battery in place, just swint the front around.

Left side installed. Nice and clean

Pretty much the same process as the left, but the wires are more towards the inside of the truck now.

Last edited by Piranha-z; 12-01-2012 at 12:08 AM.

RC Racer

Cool Finished results!!!

Here is the completed project!

Here's a pic of the balance wires tucked behind the LVA wall I made just to make it easier to work on.

Hopefully this can help anyone out that might be looking at making the jump to LiPo batteries!

A special thanks to ksb51rl and Jakey for the tips they gave me before I started this project!
    Last edited by Piranha-z; 12-01-2012 at 12:08 AM.

I like it, not bad

Might have to use this on mine
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Nice, so will I have to mess with the batt trays for the spc 8000 50c to fit?

I thought everyone has been using the 8200s without any modding ??
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    Very informative and nicely detailed.
    I'm just waiting for the truck now, got those same exact pack the other day.
    Pics are amazing

Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post

You dont HAVE to mod for the 8200's to fit. this just stops the wires from being bent over the way they get bent to come out the door holes.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post

Not sure about the 8000. If it is the same thickness, I would really recommend checking that ESC screw that I showed and make sure it doesn't stick down far enough to hit the battery.

As far as what everyone else is doing, I don't know. But I wanted it to be as clean as possible and I really like how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    Very informative and nicely detailed.
    I'm just waiting for the truck now, got those same exact pack the other day.
    Pics are amazing
    They fit soooo nice in there too. With the battery stoppers in the correct locations, they won't be moving at all

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    You dont HAVE to mod for the 8200's to fit. this just stops the wires from being bent over the way they get bent to come out the door holes.
    To be honest, I don't know how people fit all the wires through the battery door opening without damaging them. I would have had to bend the wires over and I didn't wanna do that. Plus, the battery door slot is just big enough for the two battery wires, and then trying to fish the balance wires through there........................ugh. That's why I went this route.
    Last edited by Piranha-z; 12-01-2012 at 12:29 AM.

^ i have always trimmed away to make the hole bigger at the back of the doors. Seems to work. BUT i have 5400 mah hard case and the wires can come out the top or bend down real easy. So i dont see any issues with the wires bending too much or at hard angles.

RC Qualifier
    Very, very nice guide! I did the same to mine when I got my LiPos. However, now I have removed the back vents all together. Since I don't bash, the bats are still safe.
    This is a signature.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Very, very nice guide! I did the same to mine when I got my LiPos. However, now I have removed the back vents all together. Since I don't bash, the bats are still safe.
    I thought about that too. If it wasn't for the part of the vent that extends out and acts as a latch for the battery cover, I would have just removed it all together as it's on the outlet side of the battery compartment anyway.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I was a bit afraid when I removed them, but I've been driving without the vents for over half a year, and It's been great!
    This is a signature.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Yeah, I was a bit afraid when I removed them, but I've been driving without the vents for over half a year, and It's been great!
    I would be more concerned removing the front vents.

One thing I will need to figure out is how to make this work with my Dusty Cover. It hasn't showed up yet, but might have to do some custom sewing and make an opening for the balance wires. That's the only disadvantage I can see from having the LVA's mounted on the rear wall. Can't worry about that until the cover gets here though

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Great information Piranha-z
    You've covered the details for a clean install, regardless of the exact size battery I choose to go with
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods