RC Champion

Lipo: Hard vs Soft

Is there any reason to not get a soft pack lipo? Obviously they're a bit less expensive.
    / 16

RC Racer
    theyre better for hard bashing, soft packs are more easily punctured/deformed. would you rather fall on concrete bare handed or with work gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    Is there any reason to not get a soft pack lipo? Obviously they're a bit less expensive.
    running offroad, or just jumping and or crashing can take a great toll on soft lipos. i've seen some of mine get damaged by getting hit by other trucks...i've had a couple of mine get damaged by jumping too high and the lipos will then get dented by slightly shifting in the lipo tray...the hardcase lipos are ALOT more durable, and trust me when i say it...it's worth the extra money.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Champion
    Thanks guys. I'll start doing some price checking. When I was first in the hobby, most all of my packs were soft. The two 2S packs I have now are both hard. Looking at 3S again now, which is what prompted the question.
    / 16

3S hard-case LiPos are "hard" to come by, but a little bird told me that a certain well-regarded battery supplier is coming out with a 3S/40C/4100mAh pack in a standard-sized (i.e. 2S-sized) hard case, priced at just under $40. The initials of the company are SPC, lol.
    The Traxxas "rigid" packs seem to give a good deal of protection too, but I realize that some tracks require a hard case.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Did that bird have a calendar handy?

4100mAh is just enough time for me to break stuff on 3S.
    / 16

4100mAh is just enough time for me to break stuff on 3S.
    Depends on how fast the slow boat is sailing.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about the combination of 3S and my driving skills.

RC Racer
    I have both soft and hard case lipos. All of my 2s packs are hard case and my 3s pack is a soft case. And the 3s pack is one of my newest packs but it looks like its the oldest. The shrink wrap really gets chewed up easily during off road use and can rip. Mine has started so i had to wrap electrical tape around it.

All of my 2s packs look great and i never have to worry about them. A lot of people dont want to use them because they say its hard to see if the cells are puffed, but trust me, its quite easy to see if the cells are puffed. If they are puffed bad enough it will deform the case or even crack it open.

I wont ever buy a soft case unless it is the only option, and my 3s was.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    3S hard-case LiPos are "hard" to come by, but a little bird told me that a certain well-regarded battery supplier is coming out with a 3S/40C/4100mAh pack in a standard-sized (i.e. 2S-sized) hard case, priced at just under $40. The initials of the company are SPC, lol.
    The Traxxas "rigid" packs seem to give a good deal of protection too, but I realize that some tracks require a hard case.
    Wow. Looks like I know what battery I'm getting next.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    I run sky lipos and their soft packs have metal insterts on top and bottom under the shrink wrap so they hold their shape really nicely. My sister left a pack plugged in with the esc on in the nephews p2de and ruined a pack so i cut off the wrap to see the metal, its some decently thick stuff. And yes, i did make her buy a new battery.

RC Champion
    Hard packs are the way to go no matter how you slice it.
    If you ever plan on racing hard packs are REQUIRED!

I have had no issues finding 3s hard packs, I get mine from hobbypartz.com running 3s 5000mAh 40c.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post

I have had no issues finding 3s hard packs, I get mine from hobbypartz.com running 3s 5000mAh 40c.
    that's what i was using too, but the only drawback I found with those are they are too tall to go in my e-revo.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Champion
    Yes they are too tall, I have the same problem. With only 30mm clearance its difficult to find any 3s packs to fit the ERBE, hardcase or not. My problem is I dont want anything less than 5000mAh and 40C.

If you talk to the gentleman at SPC he'll tell you that their 3s 50c 5400 mah lipo is designed to fit into a ERBE. They are soft case. I have one hard case and three soft case lipos. My soft are 3s and the hard is a 4s. My first lipos were soft and have done me well for three years now. I don't jump off houses or anything crazy.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Seems the slow boat takes about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    that's what i was using too, but the only drawback I found with those are they are too tall to go in my e-revo.
    My same problem. I try buy packs I can fit in almost all my vehicles.

RC Qualifier

Hard packs are only required if your track strictly follows ROAR rules. Lots of tracks do not require hard case lipos, especially at the club level.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Champion
    Just made the order!
    / 16

RC Champion
    I am just a basher and run 3S soft case. I have had no problems. I have had crashes that killed major parts (front bulk head both a-arms shock tower and axles, 45 mph plus into curb) and the soft pack is perfect.

Just made the order!
    So it looks like the slow boat caught a favorable current since the 3S/40C/4100s seem to be in stock already.
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=79

RC Champion
    Man...I forgot how much power comes with 3S! Ran it about five minutes and it was great! Wheelies without a problem even with a somewhat loose slipper. VERY pleased!
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Seems the slow boat takes about a month.

My same problem. I try buy packs I can fit in almost all my vehicles.

im with you on thaat one i have a idea where i can fit 1/10 lipos in my 1/16 but ever bodie hates the idea its crazy yea but it works