RC poster

E-Maxx 3908 and 775?

I have a 3908 e-maxx that was suppose to have the mamba in it and I decided to run the Summit 775 motor because of the torque. After modifying the motor plate and a little grinding on the tranny, I now have the question of what gearing I should run. The stock 68t spur wont reach the pinion unless they make a large one. I'm also running Big Joe series 40 tires. Any help on the gearing for decent speed and torque without overheating?

RC Champion
    Big motors like that typically need a 22T Pinion or larger to reach the spur gear. Make sure you get one that is 32 pitch. I'm not sure what the motor shaft size is, I think it may be a 5mm shaft.

Bigger question that comes to mind is what ESC are you going to use with that brushed motor? Brushless ESC's don't or can't run a brushed motor. I've read that some brands of ESC can be put into a "Brushed" mode but I'm not sure about the Castle ESC's

RC Champion
    Try the 70t nitro rustler pinion with an 18t spur. I had that with my summit tires and 775 motor. This will give you some clearance issues, you'll have to dremel...

If its too slow, try 21/68 but that may be too much with those tires.
    70/18

68/21
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 12-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    Big motors like that typically need a 22T Pinion or larger to reach the spur gear. Make sure you get one that is 32 pitch. I'm not sure what the motor shaft size is, I think it may be a 5mm shaft.

Bigger question that comes to mind is what ESC are you going to use with that brushed motor? Brushless ESC's don't or can't run a brushed motor. I've read that some brands of ESC can be put into a "Brushed" mode but I'm not sure about the Castle ESC's
    The EVX2 is more than ready for the task.

Castle's guide has directions as to how to operate a brushed motor with their brushless ESC's... more brushless ESC's can run brushed motors than most realize.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I was running a 20T pinion on a 68T spur with my 775 motor. After some work in the transmission case I was able to make it work. Not the fastest, but lots of torque.
    Not enough space here

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The EVX2 is more than ready for the task.

Castle's guide has directions as to how to operate a brushed motor with their brushless ESC's... more brushless ESC's can run brushed motors than most realize.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf
    Good info Jimmie. I purchased a Hobbywing BL ESC shortly after I switched to LiPo's mainly for the built in LVC and cooling fan. I also had thought about going with a BL motor at some point. At the time I didn't realize that model of ESC would not run a brushed motor (DeWalt 14.4). So now I have a new BL ESC waiting for me to put it in my 1/10 SCT.

RC poster
    Thanks for all the info. I am running the EVX-2 in it. I will try starting with a 20t pinion and go from there. Again, thanks everyone.