RC Competitor

What's a used Rustler worth?

A friend of mine is looking to sell his Rustler in the spring after his racing season is over and I'm thinking about buying it. But we're both wondering what it's worth. This is what he says the whole package includes:

"Rustler vxl, 2 extra brushed motors the upgraded controller, onyx 230 charger team checkpoint balancer, 3000mah 3s lipo, 4 venom 3600 6cell, set of four neon yellow 1/8th size wheels and tires, 2bodys, some extra oem rear wheels, dynamite tool kit, extra arms, shocktowers, handful of spurs and pinions, i can get a custom bumper back if wanted(plexiglass) has the aluminum big bore shocks on it from a slash and the stock shocks , wheelie bar, I'm sure I'm forgetting more that's just off the top of my head."

What do you guys think all that is worth, and what is a fair price to pay for it. He says the motors are just 27 turns and didn't say what brand they were.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-03-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Banned Product

RC Champion
    that depends on how old is it and how old the batteries area and was it a XL5 first . does it hv bearing around . that being said , I would say $250-275 . Depending on how old everything is .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    That's a 3s lipo. I think it's a factory vxl, he just swapped out for a brushed because the track he runs on is so small. He was thinking about 450 for the whole set, which I didn't think was too bad. I'm not really interested in his charger/balancer or his 6 cells, so we could probably count all that out.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-03-2012 at 04:08 PM.

RC Champion
    But how old is the rusty . I had one for sale for 225 it was the XL5 converted over to the VXL , That's everything , the new VXL rusty has on it and i mean everything . That was just the rusty nothing else .
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    $400 is way to much. $250-$300 max.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Qualifier
    The lipos add some value but its still in the 250 300 max range. Are you going to be getting the original brushless system with it ?

RC Competitor
    The original brushless, the brushed motors, some bodies, the tires, basically everything he has. He's getting out of RC entirely. I didn't think that 400 was too bad for everything. For a just used Rustler VXL, I think that about 150-175 would be about tops, but this one comes with a boat load of extras and upgrades and has been taken care of.

RC Racer
    I would tell him to look at this forum and decide on a price around $280-320 and tell him if you try selling it somewhere else for 400 it wont sell

******* 3000mah 3s lipo
    Clearly the O/P'er made what I believe is an honest mistake and posted about a product that is banned on this forum. Being a new member here that is understandable. However several others who have been here long enough to know better have attempted to bypass the language filter or quote blocked material. Come on guys let's abide by the spirit of the rule and please just DO NOT talk about products that are banned on this forum.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Clearly the O/P'er made what I believe is an honest mistake and posted about a product that is banned on this forum. Being a new member here that is understandable. However several others who have been here long enough to know better have attempted to bypass the language filter or quote blocked material. Come on guys let's abide by the spirit of the rule and please just DO NOT talk about products that are banned on this forum.
    I was unaware of the mistake I made, I apologize.

RC Competitor
    I'm not sure of the age of the truck, but he's not selling until spring, so there's some time to hash out all of the details.

RC Qualifier
    What part of what he said is "banned"? Just curious..

The brand name of the lipo is banned.

I never put much value in used batteries, if its included good but it doesn't raise the value of the truck IMO. There really isn't a whole lot of "extras" that are really valuable tool kit is like $20 new shipped, misc parts again unless they are new in package not a lot of value. extra wheels and tires maybe add $10-20 to the package deal. Regardless I am not seeing $400 worth of used RC in that deal. Wheelie bar was included with the vxl IIRC, or at one point it was so again not a whole lot of value, used motors...again not valuable unless they are really high end, re-buildable ones.

I go with the previous estimates of $300 max. These days a rustler is hard pressed to fetch more than $150 on this forum anyway, ebay is hit or miss with prices I have seen some go for close to $300 and others barely break $100.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    How is he suppose to know what's banned and what's not. Is anything here not banned outside of Traxxas?

How is he suppose to know what's banned and what's not. Is anything here not banned outside of Traxxas?
    When your post has banned content it will be asterisked out like this...********.. you should edit the banned part out. You also get a friendly reminder for the first offense, from a moderator.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Racer
    I know that Lipos are expensive to buy, but once they are used IMO the value drops significantly. Just saying that I have never been happy with a used battery. As for the rusty I think some pics would help the members give you an accurate #. But I will say $450 is a bit crazy! Put $250 in his hand and see what he says. as a seller It is hard to get what you think your RC is worth...knowing what you have put into it...but it is hard to find someone to pay what "its worth"
    Tomorrow can wait till tomorrow.