RC poster

battery options - trying to sort out lipo thing and also gearing

so Im expecting my merv next week, obviously stock isnt good enough

So, I want to get lipos (ordering my charder shortly).

Few questions....

If I get 2s lipo(s) - will I be faster than the stock 30mph? I know ill get more punch, and runtime will depend on MiH. Also whats the reality of the "C" rating...do i want 25c, 30c, etc....

If I go to 3s I know ill get more speed, but more than 2 standard packs?

In an ideal world, Id like NOT have to keep changing the gearing, worry about overheating, and be able to switch between a 3s pack for speed, and 2 2s packs for longer but slower run times. I dont need 50mph but I dont want to be around 30s either. Off the line FLIPPING is not mandatory, just good punch in fact maybe more control upon WOT is better anyway. I would also be open to changing tires but for now thinking ill run stock.

Whats a good balance overall is what im looking for......suggestions?

Also seeing other packs from sky and others.....any pointers?

I searched but am not finding exactly what im looking for.

THX!
    Elite
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 11-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I suggest waiting until you get it before deciding what speeds are good for you. I am around the 30mph mark with 2S and it is plenty fast for me... it has a lot to do with terrain. Keep in mind that speed is relative.... with these little RC's 30 looks like it is simply SCREAMING.

2S has less voltage than a stock NiMh. Voltage is a direct correlation to speed; therefore, you will have a slower top end with LiPo. But, due to the discharge rates of a LiPo pack vs a NiMh, you will get to these speeds faster.

3S will be faster than running 2S, but again voltage is a direct correlation....

I am running 23/50 gearing on tires that are a bit taller than stock without any heat issues.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    All good info. So in order offering top speed, 2s. 3s. 2 stock packs essentially doubling voltage. I agree, but just want to plan ahead and trying to get one more pack off the bat so I can have 2 to choose from/charge when using the other. I also am thinking about Life packs, there is a 9.9v - kinda in the middle although dont see to many ppl running them. The charger I am getting seems to do it all so I figured its just another option. Maybe from what it sounds like Ill gear it for more top speed with a 2s lipo for now, and thatll also lessen the off the line power but ill still get good punch. 3s lipo will be for speed passes but I think that could get old after a while. Is there a chart anywhere with what gearing changes do on stock merv's or with 2s lipos for example? I shoulda ordered some new gears to have options....better start my wish list

Jimmie thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    punch in your info here and compare speeds http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html
    always enter 7.4 volts for 2 cell with the calculator

you don't want to run in series only parallel for extended run time
    Last edited by 50togo; 11-29-2012 at 08:24 PM.

RC poster
    50! thats a sweet calc, thank you for the link! I am starting to remember what all those ratios are again lol after 5ys plus outta rc. Used to race gas truck (revo) forever ago and im slowly inching in. Electric has come such a long way in a few years its a whole new ball game. Now, need some recommendations on batteries, something moderate and thatll fit this little thing what do you use, any suggestions? Hobby king some people tell me, there are so many darn brands/packs out there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I
    2S has less voltage than a stock NiMh.
    That might be true, but you get a bigger voltage drop on NiMH`s and that makes the 2S a bit faster...at least it was in my case`.

RC poster
    MTC makes sense. Lipo will seemingly have consistent power. Gotcha.