RC Enthusiast

How long does the stock motor last?

Howlng do most of you get out of the stock motor?
    My friends lasted less then a month mine is still going after 2 months but he said it sounds like his did before it quite.
    I run mine maybe 1 or twice a week and have not let the motor get over 160 degers f.
    I have three 3000mah stock batteries and never run it longer than an hour at a time.
    All stock gears as well.

Is this normal for the stock motor?

What should I look at to replace it that is going to last? Do have to replace the esc if you get a different
    Motor. Don't even have any idea on a budget so just let me know what will hold up the best.

RC Enthusiast
    I got a vxl rusty and slash 4x4 and have not had any problems racing at home and a little at leisure hours raceway

RC Champion
    Checking temps frequently I got 6 trouble free months before I upgraded. Don't be stupid check temps and stock motors will last quite a while.

RC Qualifier
    Castle has the orginal sidewinders on sale and you can get a cheap brushless motor on flebay I would do that before putting any more money in brushed motors just upgrade later to some good stuff but that should get you by for a while or at least longer than a brushed setup will also get you better run times depending on you of course.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    I bought my Rustler VXL on Christmas in 2007. Since then, I've rotated systems between this, another Rustler and my Slash 4x4. I've lost track of which motor is from 2007 (I have 3 VXL motors), but I know it's still running strong, 5 years later!
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Enthusiast
    What temp do u want to keep your brushless motor under?
    And if I get a cheap on on flebay does it hav to be the same kind to work with the stock esc.

RC Champion
    It depends, some last forever others last a couple of weeks. My first vxl motor lasted a month. Traxxas said it was defective and sent me another one an it has lasted for a year and half now.

RC Racer
    vxl should last forever. i would think the esc should give you problems before anything else.
    Slash 4x4
    MERV

RC Qualifier
    My slash 4x4 stock motor broke after 5 weeks the rotor made boom !
    but got 2nd vxl motor and it is running for 4 and a half month

RC Qualifier
    its pretty much like anything. if you take care of it and not abuse it, it should last a long time. there are cases of defective ones though but thats why you have a year warranty with traxxas

RC Champion
    Its all about how hard and how often you run it. If you keep it on 2s and geared conservatively at stock they will last quite a while. Its when you go to pushing it to see how fast you can go and running it hard where they fail. I grew tired of stock gearing and 2s and pushed it with 3s and a ger up and watched temps, stayed right between 160-170. In less than a month I was looking in the B&S boards for a replacement for both motor and ESC. Motor Fragged and the ensuing shower of sparks took out the esc. Ive seen a few others do the same thing. So when I got new parts the velienon went in the 2wd to be run on 2s and a new breed now inhabits my 4x4.