RC Racer

Little help with lipo choice.

Firstly I know there have been a lot of lipo threads recently. I have look through most of them. However, I think I still need a little help.

Currently running two 2S 6500 mah 25-50c Lipo's. had my ERBE for a couple of months now at getting used to the batteries. Thinking about getting another set.

Looking for a little more power and speed.

Think 6S is a little too much for me as the misses won't let me put the kids on ebay to fund the car upgrades.

5S how do users find a 5S set up, sorted me batteries with same mah and c rating. How does the standard ERBE hold up with 5S power? Or will it cost a bit to upgrade cos it begins to break bits.

My next question if I go 5S, which of these batteries would you go for,

2S + 3S 5000 mah 60-90c

Or

2S + 3S 6100 mah 30-50c

Any advice greatfully received

I would think the 5000 would be a little cheaper.

both batts are 5000 mAh & 60-90c, just one is a 2s & one is 3s.......correct...?
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    87, yep both would 5000 at 60c one 2s one 3s.

Actually the 6100 30c versions are cheaper, not really that concerned about price of the batts. Just which ones deliver the better fun :-)

RC Qualifier
    I run 5s and love it. i have several sets of batteries two sets of 5000mah 40c & two sets of 5800mah 35c.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OnebadTMAXX3.3 View Post
    I run 5s and love it. i have several sets of batteries two sets of 5000mah 40c & two sets of 5800mah 35c.
    Have you found running 5s has a high need for replacement parts?

RC Champion
    After haveing some of my older batteries not performing up to par ... I purchased some new Traxxas 2s @ 5300 mah 25c. A little pricey... But didn't have to solder on connectors.

All I can say is . After charging them up I ran my ERBE for 19 minutes before I stripped the spur gear... (happened after landing off a jump, I think the clutch is a little too tight) and the two batteries were still 42% charged.

Going to LHS today to get some replacement gears.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

As far as parts, breakage, it more comes down to driving style....
    throttle control.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Spc is a good place to find quality batteries http://spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=13

RC Competitor
    ^+1. SPC are awesome for the price... TOM will take care of you... His customer service is great any question at anytime, he's more then happy to help...

RC Racer
    Cheers guys, thanks for comments, would love to go to spc, but being from the uk I want to be able to go back easily if faulty..

I'm currently using overlander batteries, which seem really good...

Think I might try the 5S route, and kerb the throttle finger a little.

RC Champion
    Quote from 87 GN..As far as parts, breakage, it more comes down to driving style....
    throttle control.....

This is true but this is just the first time I have stripped a spur gear in my REVO...I was trying some forward flips and after hitting the break to perform the flip, as the truck came around I hit full throttle just a bit to soon and the rest is history
    Last edited by orca44; 11-30-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-man View Post
    Have you found running 5s has a high need for replacement parts?
    i haven't broke an axle (summit axles) or diff (aluminum cups). I tried 6s once and it was alot to handle. 5s seems like a nice mix of speed without the harshness on parts. i also run ceramic bearings all around.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OnebadTMAXX3.3 View Post
    i haven't broke an axle (summit axles) or diff (aluminum cups). I tried 6s once and it was alot to handle. 5s seems like a nice mix of speed without the harshness on parts. i also run ceramic bearings all around.
    Lovely thanks, think I might give 5s a go.

RC Qualifier
    I think 5s is great. Its plenty of power (its rare to find the space to go full throttle) and I haven't broken any drive shafts/diffs (yet lol). With Phaltline street tires you can do donuts all day long on any pavement (I like burnouts ). You can even do burnouts with badlands - my point is, they are plenty powerful.

I'd personally recommend Thunder Power - they really produce one of the best quality batteries out there.

Here's a little background info on them from TJinTech: https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu.../tp-experience

I'm running the Thunder Power G6 5000mAh 45/90c 2s +3s (both batteries have same ratings). And Hughes500Bob (member here) made me a series wiring rig so I can charge both batteries at the same time in series.

RC Racer
    Thanks deanwrx,

Got set of proline road rages which are pretty good. Looks like I'm def gonna go for a 5S set up. Think I'm going to try the 5000 60C / 90 C ones.

Thanks to all for their input

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My favorite on my merv is thunder power stronger than my other batteries but on the larger trucks I run spc

RC poster
    I didnt know u could use 1 2s & 1 3s. Do u just make sure the mah and c ratings are the same?? For this application of mixing batts is it necceesary to charge them in series or is charging them separate ok?
    Emaxx, Rusty, TEN SCTE, MBX-6, Durango DEX210

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can run different cell batteries that are the same strength . Mine are spc 5400 50c 2 cell and 3 cell
    But no you have to charge 2 cells separately and 3 cell separately

RC Champion
    Just a added note to the above...

It is also best that the batteries are from the same manufacture since actual specs/standards vary from manufacture to manufacture.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Just a added note to the above...

It is also best that the batteries are from the same manufacture since actual specs/standards vary from manufacture to manufacture.
    They should also be bought at the same time. The battery's stats will slowly degrade from regular usage.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    I've always wondered what the difference is between these so-called "90c" batteries touted by different brands, and Hyperion G3 45C batteries? After all, Hyperion is one of the most respected brands among RC helicopter pilots, and trust me, those guys know a thing or two about quality batteries.

So why are Hyperion's best LIPOs only 45C, whereas every other brand trumpets sick numbers up to 150C (Maxamps)? Are we talking about the difference between sutained and burst current?
    Last edited by ignis; 12-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.

RC poster
    im probably gonna get some SPC lipos...i know they are soft case, have u ever ran in wet conditions, how did ur SPC's handle lil moisture. im thinking of plastic dipping the wire end of batt or just using a shroud, whats ppls luck with shrouds...do they keep water out??
    Emaxx, Rusty, TEN SCTE, MBX-6, Durango DEX210

ignis
    PM coming with link to answer the Q&A of MA rating.........jam.....