Thread: 40 series tires

RC Competitor

40 series tires

Im looking for a new and larger tire combo for my summit, is 40 series always a bigger tire than the stock ones? Ive got a tekin 2250 rx8 combo and the truck shakes like crazy at full speed, seems like its because the rims don't tighten against the axles very well. everything else seems tight. Lets get some recommendations for big summit tires!!! Pics are always great.

RC Qualifier
    40 series is not always larger than stock. Many people seem to like the ProLine Trenchers.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    The stock tires are about as large as you should go but they are not made for high speed.
    40 series will be roughly the same size. I love my original trenchers (not trencher x). Search and youll find more pics than you know what do to with.

RC Competitor
    Im looking at the rock crawlers, they are taller but looks like they are more stable at high speeds

RC Enthusiast
    I am looking at getting the RC4WD Roc Loc tires

RC poster
    any suggestions for a good beadlock wheel, not the fake beadlocks like stock, but the kind you dont have to glue the tires on. I know they are available for smaller (read as scalers) trucks but all i can find is glue rims for summit

RC Qualifier
    Check out the Axial Oversized Bead-lock rims.

Rim suggestion!
    Last edited by snowslider; 04-10-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    This is a signature.

Roc Loks and brushless are going to cause some extra wear on the driveline
    They are huge and heavy lots of rotating mass

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    ah a chance to show my late summit! lol i sure do miss it.

these are the infamous trenchers mounted on axial 8-spoke beadlocks..
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I run Trencher X's... bought them pre-mounted. They are about 1/4 inch shorter than stock but much wider and seem to do excellent in almost all circumstances. Crawling on smooth rocks they aren't as good as stock, but almost everywhere else they are just as good.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    This is a topic that i have been researching for about a month now. I had in mind the mud slingers, rock crushers, and the roc locs. I have eliminated the rock crushers cuz I have hear lots of bad thing about crawling on milti surfaces and having no traction. Also that they are stiff tire and dont grip well.

So it narrowed it down and I know if i got the mud slingers then i would cut the small lug off for more traction. But..... I've also heard it don't have much side hill traction. I've also been told that they are killer in the mud and there more of a off road tire not a rock crawling tire.

As for the roc locs I haven't hered much cons except that they are tall and tend to he hard on the drivetrain. But if you think about it so are the rest of the 40 series tires. There all within a inch of each other. The roc locs have the all around looks for rock crawling. Traction wise.

I have not personally ran any of these tires yet. I actually want to find a rc shop that has all three and feel and compair the tread compound. I was set on the mud slingers but I still can't make up my mind.

I hope this helps you

RC Competitor
    I'm getting the Axial beadlocks with the rc4wd Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I will see if they are any good.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by summitcrawler View Post
    ah a chance to show my late summit! lol i sure do miss it.

these are the infamous trenchers mounted on axial 8-spoke beadlocks..
    Im using that pic for my wallpaper. I like the all around look of it. Must be the blue you went with too.

It really does matter what you will be doing the most....I have run the crushers they are ok for trail use, but for climbing steeper stuff they are really tall cog is way up there.one of the guys I run with ( blitz summit) WAS running the locs he went back to the moabs for where we run (see the almost roll of doom thread...)the bigger tires give good ground clearance but side hilling
    With the crushers or locs is limited at best heres the difference in crushers vs original trenchers
    l

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I think Im gonna go with the Rock crusher and these rims:Cyclone 40 Series Beadlock Wheels for Traxxas Summit. Im looking for speed and some mild crawling and I love the look of a tall massive tire but thats just me

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Check out the Axial Oversized Bead-lock rims.

Rim suggestion!
    I am having a hard time finding in stock 17mm hub rims from a non-shady looking establishment. I know the bead locks themselves are sold separately but I am seeing a lot of "Discontinued" for the rims themselves. Some of the big box online shops have chrome and black, but I am looking for black chrome and a set of matching green bead locks.

I really like the design of this wheel and would like green lockers to go with my green theme on my truck! Does anybody know if you can get stock Canyon AT's without rims and would they fit this wheel?

Keep in mind at speed with tall tires turning will become a art form. traction roll ,in the wet on smooth surfaces they don't hook up real well.for speed they would not be the tire I would choose.
    They look cool for sure,I thought they would perform much better than they do.
    I switched to trenchers they are working much better all around for me and what I'm doing with the truck.i do lots of climbing and rock work. Those rims are 3 lbs each so you will be pretty much doubling the weight of the truck Before tires. Getting 20pounds of truck moving fast is hard on the motor and drivetrain
    I'm not saying don't get them just want you to be aware of some of the factors
    Involved

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Rok lox are great at stock speeds. They get a bit flappy at 30mph. They crawl well for the summit.
    Axial narrow beadlocks for the most part have been discontinued, unless it has been recently replaced with a newer model.
    For daily running, trenchers win. If im trail running, rok loxs.

RC Competitor
    Guess you cant edit your original quote to remove stupidity?

OK...I have found everything but the bead lockers in green. So I am still questing for those. However my question about the Canyon AT still exists. Will it fit the Axial Rims (AX8046)? I am not sure how much stretching you can do without sacrificing longevity of the tire? To me stretching a tire puts unnecessary stress on it. Might also make it more prone to ripping/tearing over sharp objects.

I am thinking I am OK diameter wise as its only 4.5mm different. However the width between the rims is much different at 10.5mm leading to more stretching. Would I be better off getting a ProLine Tire for the Axial Rims?

Axial Rims (AX8046)
    Width: 3.2" (81mm)
    Diameter: 4" (101mm)

Geode Rims:
    Width: 70.5mm (2.8")
    Diameter: 96.5mm (3.8")

Canyon AT tire:
    Inner Diameter: 95mm (3.7")
    Width: 101mm (4")

Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    If you are talking about the stock summit canyon tires fitting the axial bead locks then no they won't fit. The axial beadlock is a true 40 series rim (4.0) the canyon tires are 3.8 with that special traxxas lip around the rim. So you would have to do some cutting and stretching to make them fit. But proline now sells some nice rims that will fit traxxas 3.8 size tires.

I have stretched some 3.8 size tires onto a pro line 40 series rims but they kinda folded out due to the size difference. I then cut the tires lip down approximately 2mm (could not cut beyond the lip) and it fit but still " folds" outside the rim.
    Last edited by noir 522; 04-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the feedback ksb51rl and noir 522. I will just go with some trenchers or something of that nature that is more designed for the beadlocks.

ksb51rl, the ones in stock are not my taste, however that link did get me the correct name for the ones I would prefer to put on being Axial Racing Holey Roller Beadlock Ring. Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Ok...what makes a 40 series tire a 40 series? Is it the mounting type? I am assuming that the bolded type below is part of it?

I see:

Pro-Line Trencher 40 Series 3.8" All Terrain Monster Truck Tire
    * Height: 6.89" (175mm)
    * Width: 3.43" (87mm)
    * Horizontal H shaped tread for ridiculous amounts of and side-to-side stability
    * Over sized and nearly ” tall tread are second-to-none in durability and longevity
    * For use with 3.8" (40 Series) Monster Truck Wheels

* Pro-Line Trencher X 3.8" All Terrain Monster Truck Tire
    * Height: 6.50" (165mm)
    * Width: 4.15" (105mm)
    * The ultimate basher tire!
    * Fits Traxxas style bead wheels
    * Horizontal H shaped tread for ridiculous amounts of and side-to-side stability
    * Oversized and nearly ” tall tread are second-to-none in durability and longevity
    * For use with 3.8" Traxxas Style Bead Monster Truck Wheels

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerhouse View Post
    I'm getting the Axial beadlocks with the rc4wd Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I will see if they are any good.
    Please post pics of these if you get them. If I didn't already have a couple of sets of tires for my summit I would get these too, then again someday I might just have to get them. I think I have a tire fetish.

RC Competitor
    I talked to rc4wd an they said that 3.99 lbs is the total weight not one rim, so I ordered them with the roc crushers!! Should b here in a few days, Im only 20 miles from them.

RC Qualifier
    Jamann is still right. Even at 1 lb a rim that's a lot of rotating mass. They will stress the everything in the drivetrain including the motor and esc. Plan on gearing down even with the Tekin system. My mudslinger/axial beadlock combo is quite heavy and effects performance for sure. Honestly the only benefit I see is a crawling situation,low speed and lower center of gravity. Not trying to be negative but just talking from experience.

RC Racer
    noir clear out your inbox. its full
    Caution, this message contains words.

RC Enthusiast
    just picked upa set of the mudslingers, never even mounted them and already chopped them up. set of oversized narrow axial rocksters on the way for them. oh ya ordered a set of mickey thompson baja claws today too since i run them on my 1:1.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RC Champion
    In box clear. Pm me again

Newb2 how soft are they compared to the stock summit tires. Do a "Charmin" toilet paper test for me. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the softest and the summits canyon tires rating a 7, where would you rank your tires? I am trying to find a 40 series tire/foam combination that is as flexible as the stock tire.
    Last edited by noir 522; 04-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    going to have to rate it at 5.5-6. not as soft as stockers but cut like they are now they should perform fairly close. cut they have big enough gaps to help with rocks.

RC poster
    I have a set of the 40 mud slingers for sale and i run them on 3 of my other summits with the tekin there awesome

RC poster
    The 40 series and brushless is untouchable. Dont let no one tell u different

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by summitking View Post
    I have a set of the 40 mud slingers for sale and i run them on 3 of my other summits with the tekin there awesome
    i second this setup
    summit w/ self waterproofed Tekin RX8/T8 2000kv

RC Competitor

These tires are amazing! I also have the tfencher x's and they do a really good job too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    thank you warnerhouse!

trenchers are boss!
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by summitking View Post
    The 40 series and brushless is untouchable. Dont let no one tell u different
    So this is my set up too. Mud slingers and tekin rx8 1900kv. Just got 6s lipo power and I'm scared to go full speed. Don't want the tires to blow apart. Any experience?