RC poster

Just bought Spartan and new to Electrics. Couple questions???

I have the stock batteries in there now and need more run time. I do not want to go out and spend another 250-300 bucks on Lipo batteries. I do want a little more run time and speed but dont need 60MPH. WHat are some good upgrades to the boat that I can get a little more speed with some Lipos and stock running gear(motor, esc)

RC poster
    If I get 2 3S lipos does that mean I am running 6S. 3+3 or do I have to get a 6S lipo to be running 6S?

RC Champion
    Volts is directly related to speed. Its a variable voltage motor. if 1 volt = 3mph then assume 10 volts = 30mph and so on. numbers are a referance and not auctual

Stock nimh batteries are probably 8.4 in series so 16.8volts, these are not the best as the voltage/speed drops quickly along with the charge.

Lipo's hold the voltage longer till low voltage cut off is reached, this means the speed stays close to the same till lvc is reached.

Ususlly quality 2s batteries will outperform stock nimh.

MAH or milliamp hour is a referance as to capicity or abillity to hold a charge, so more MAH=more run time, buy as large as you can afford 5000mah min

1s = 3.7v , 3s = 11.1v and yes 2 3s batteries in series are 6s or 22.2v, going to 6s will probably expose the overheat issues with these and add stress.

I'd recommend to start with 2x2s 5000-6500mah, look at an AC6 charger usually $60
    Last edited by akesj1; 11-26-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spell check
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC poster
    Thanks. I already have the AC6 charger. Thinking of Gens Ace 2S 5000MAH 40C or the Gens Ace 3S 5000MAH 40c..I will upgrade (split)cooling lines and get the 2 pick up rudder if need be.. Or double the order on batteries and run them in paralell. Is that possible., Still cool on the motors and just double the run time..
    Last edited by conroyz28; 11-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.

RC Champion
    Weight of 4 batteries may become an issue. if you get the 4s they are easily sold as its the std battery for Short Course Trucks
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    You are definitely headed the right direction.

You want high C discharge capability, so the 40C 5000mah should be OK. I have no hands on with Gens Ace batts, so I don't know how "honest" their battery ratings are. On 5000mah batts, I would suggest 40C discharge rating is minimum desired for the Spartan.

The ESC is wired for series in stock configuration, so yes, your battery voltage doubles, while capacity stays the same. 2x2S = 4S, 2x3S = 6S, etc.

Provided mah and discharge ratings are the same, (preferably same manufacture) you can also run 1 2S battery and 1 3S battery for a 5S setup.

If you change the wiring harness to parallel then your capacity doubles but voltage remains the same. 2x2S remains 2S, but if they are 5000mah batteries, you get 10,000mah capacity, for extended run time.

I run one of my Spartans on a 5S parallel configuration. It is not stock electrics, it has proven very reliable, thus far.

I would caution against a 6S parallel setup on stock electrics. The stock electrics are prone to over heating, and extending the run time on 6S may exacerbate the problem.

Since you indicate that top end speed is not a priority, you could play it safe with a 4S parallel setup for extended run time, while keeping the load reduced on the electrics.

Upgrade to an Octura x442 metal prop. This is essentially the same prop as stock, but the metal doesn't flex under load, so still provides a bit of a performance enhancement.

The Prather 215 is another prop to consider, a bit smaller diameter, but higher pitch than stock.

Good luck with your mods.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 11-27-2012 at 02:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hog
    I would caution against a 6S parallel setup on stock electrics. The stock electrics are prone to over heating, and extending the run time on 6S may exacerbate the problem.

I agree with this, base on my experience, what happened is after 16 mins. of running in parallel the boat stalls and servo does tweaking every beat. I don't know what is the temp. before for I was newbie on that time. Luckily my electronics still working. Passing my experience running in 4s parallel is a great set-up I got 25mins. Runtime on 5000mah
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC poster
    I ordered 2 Gens 2S 40C 5000 MAH and 2 3S 40C 5000 mah.. Ithink that should keep me happy for a while

RC Qualifier
    Those are good batts. I run Gens Ace and not once have they puffed, and the internal resistance is excellent on all my packs.