Thread: Oops

RC Champion

Oops

I was in the school parking lot this morning and hit a car. The pillow balls broke off in the a arms. Any way to get them out? I was going to superglue what's left on the pillow balls back in until I get to my hobby dealer since I'm expecting to have to replace the arms any way.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I was in the school parking lot this morning and hit a car. The pillow balls broke off in the a arms. Any way to get them out? I was going to superglue what's left on the pillow balls back in until I get to my hobby dealer since I'm expecting to have to replace the arms any way.
    Use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to make a notch in what's left of the pillow ball shaft (you may end up cut into the end of the arm a bit but it won't hurt anything) then use a flat head screwdriver to take it out. I've had to do this a few times with my nitro Revo and it doesn't weaken the arm at all. Don't forget the safety glasses...safety Sandy says, "you can walk on a wooden leg but you can't see through a glass eye".
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not without weakening it
    That is the worst because it usually breaks off inside the arm. Then you need a new arm and pillow ball

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Not without weakening it
    That is the worst because it usually breaks off inside the arm. Then you need a new arm and pillow ball
    A small notch in the end of the arm won't weaken it at all, I've done it quite a few times on different vehicles (some my own and some customers at the Hobby Shop) with pivot ball (pillow ball) suspensions and never had an arm fail because of it.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Champion
    Are rpm arms worth it on the mini slash?

RC Champion
    Are rpm arms worth it on the mini slash?
    Absolutely....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you can afford it replace it. If they were stock arms defiantly replace it

depending on how you drive you don't need another weak link

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It makes absolutely no sense that cutting a slot in something does not weaken it.
    It may not weaken it enough to make it break easily, but I assure you; it does weaken it.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

If there is not enough of the broken pillow ball to grab onto to get it out then I would simply replace the arm unless you can find an easy out small enough to use on the broken pillow ball. The easy out would probably cost more than the arm though.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense that cutting a slot in something does not weaken it.
    It may not weaken it enough to make it break easily, but I assure you; it does weaken it.
    Cutting a 1/16" deep slot across the end of the arm won't weaken the arm. I've done it a lot of times and never had an arm fail or pillow ball pull out because of it. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about, I broke a pivot ball early this summer and still use the same arm. Do you really think that little nick is going to weaken it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Nice post, but I still stand by my previous statement.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Do you really think that little nick is going to weaken it?
    I dont think there is any doubt it weakens the arm, the question is how much and IMO that would depend on how deep and wide the cut is. Personally it would bug me more than the cost of replacing the arm is worth,,,I would replace the arm but that is just me.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Like I said, when I was managing my local hobby shop and was the "RC Guy" I did this numerous times for people and never had anyone come back with an arm that has failed. I've also done it several times to my own vehicles, if that little nick is going to weaken the arm I guess I better replace all of my lower arms since they are nicked up worse on the bottoms than what the notch has done.

Gentlemen,
    Let's not get stuck arguing about this - it's really not that big of a deal. The information and opinion on both sides have been expressed. Thanks to all your concern and assistance.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

airmaxx23 check your PM box
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Any way to get them out?
    Leave the arm in battery acid (H2SO4) for couple of hours

RC Champion
    Well superglue seems to have worked for now. a few good crashes and still holding it together. Ill probably just upgrade my a arms after christmas to rpm.