RC Qualifier

looking into getting a slash for possible racing???

would i be better off getting a 2wd or a 4wd for racing, never raced before, just wanna get into something that i can take to the track and race and have fun. i was planning on buying a roller and putting a better motor and esc than what they come with. any suggestions?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Around here we have a "Stock Slash" class everywhere. But it is 2WD only.

I have two 2wd slash's one for stock class,one mod.
    The four wheel drive slash is a wicked truck.But in my opinion,if you really want to have fun start with 2wd.
    Its far more challenging and you'll be a better rc driver for it.
    But for bashing and all out fun truck,the four wheel is great!
    And as .crispy said,we have mostly 2wd racing also.
    Oh ya,a roller is fine,but you'll save a lot of cash buying a out of the box rtr.Id say a vxl. then you have the velineon system.
    But some stock classes you'll need the titan-xl5 for stock racing.

RC Qualifier
    Dont even buy a roller just start building a truck you want piece by piece. I wish I would have done this Now I have a truck that has only 1 original part the bellcrank and have a another truck in the parts box somewhere. Find out what kind of events they have at your track do they have a class for the 2wd or 4x4, stock, or mod. It would suck to get a 4x4 to find out they only have a 2wd class.

RC Qualifier
    the stock 2wd isn't a great race truck but good otherwise, the new LCG 4x4 should be a fairly decent truck. I raced with a guy that had a 2wd slash and it was not as good as the others but in 4x4 class that same guy was winning against other 4x4's, hes a real good driver!

The driver has a lot to do with it.Ive since 2wd bet 4wd more than once,the driver is 75% of the equation.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I have two 2wd slash's one for stock class,one mod.
    The four wheel drive slash is a wicked truck.But in my opinion,if you really want to have fun start with 2wd.
    Its far more challenging and you'll be a better rc driver for it.
    But for bashing and all out fun truck,the four wheel is great!
    And as .crispy said,we have mostly 2wd racing also.
    Oh ya,a roller is fine,but you'll save a lot of cash buying a out of the box rtr.Id say a vxl. then you have the velineon system.
    But some stock classes you'll need the titan-xl5 for stock racing.

Not around here with switching motors to run stock class if the truck came with brushless new then its STOCK the only thing you are allowed to do is change the battery to lipo and the tires rest of truck must remain as it came out of the box other then the body

RC Qualifier
    Pointless to have a "stock" class like that. There are so many variations in what comes out of a box that the most money or the latest greatest thing will win. Having a brushed Slash go up against brushless SC10s is stupid. Might as well just make it open.

"Stock Slash" typically means the brushed 2WD Slash. Period.

RC Qualifier
    i really dont plan on entering any racing just yet , i just wanna get a truck so i can practice, here was my plan...find a 2wd slash for really cheap, dont really care about how it looks, and put a MMP 2400kv motor combo in that and practice in that truck cuz it will also be cheap to fix too. then when i got better i could throw that motor and esc castle combo in a new 4x4 truck, you think that same motor and esc from castle(2400kv) would still work in the plain old 2wd slash?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

Good point crispy,even brushed motors can run like a brush less. So the million dollar question is. What is stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
    Pointless to have a "stock" class like that. There are so many variations in what comes out of a box that the most money or the latest greatest thing will win. Having a brushed Slash go up against brushless SC10s is stupid. Might as well just make it open.

"Stock Slash" typically means the brushed 2WD Slash. Period.