RC Competitor

Rookie Question: How fast can I expect to get my Slash 2WD in "street" configuration?

All stock components, ESC, 550 Motor and I do not want to blow the thing up. I'll swap to street/performance tires, lock down the suspension a bit and run with 2s 5000 mah 25c Lipos. So what gearing would be "safe" as to not overheat the system and what can I expect to see performance wise?

Of course I can go and use the calculator and see the theoretical speed but I want to know what I can do without blowing the motor or ESC up, what you guys have tried, what worked, what didn't, etc. 23t x 86?

And yes, making it more aerodynamic and less "truck" would certainly help but I want to be able to do a few mods, tire swap, move the suspension and be back in truck mode and I'd rather be able to do this and loose 2 mph top speed then good to far in the other direction or blow my Slash up!

Thanks!

Titan 12t ? Expect 25 mph
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Don't stress the titan,it wasn't made to last.
    But when it does go,your looking at $18.00 to get a new one.
    25-86 2s 35c down hill,ten mile an hour tail wind,you might see 32 mph.
    Depends on how steep the hill is.

RC Competitor
    Huh, I thought we'd see a little bit more than that.

Okay, so what's the inexpensive off brand or like hop-up motor to use with the stock ESC to see a bit more performance? Or do you even bother, just go with the Velineon VXL-3s or CC Mamba/Sport setup if you're looking to see any real performance increase?

I'm leaning towards the Velineon ultimately but...

Thanks!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Don't stress the titan,it wasn't made to last.
    But when it does go,your looking at $18.00 to get a new one.
    25-86 2s 35c down hill,ten mile an hour tail wind,you might see 32 mph.
    Depends on how steep the hill is.
    Lol thats good

The castle is going to be way to much for you to handle, being a beginner.
    Go with the velineon,that will still be hard to handle at first.
    Just remember,more power,more stress,more broken parts.The slash is a darn strong truck.
    But throw a rock at a window,my moneys on the rock.
    Put my gps in my slash,23pinion 86 spur,3s 40c,gps said 46mph,ran out of room,and sight,but think that's about all it had?
    If you lose it,you got scrap.No need for that kind of speed on a short coarse,you need toque,the velineon system will give you the best of both worlds.

RC Racer
    I have the vxl velineon, 35/76 gearing 3s lipo, had 64 on gps before i lost it off the side of road, ejected battery and gps, no broken parts tho
    Just remember faster you go itll get real twitchy, it kind of hard to get any type of speed without being a little hard on the motor... Just do whats fun, play around with gearing, just watch the motor temps

RC Champion
    My slash started off like most of the others as a 12t titan.. I switched to a CC5700 and then to a 4 pole 5700... Honestly unless you have deep pockets, have fun with the titan and get real good at driving the slash. It was never built for that kind of speed in the first place so unless you want to change the "look" of the truck as well as all the plastic parts.. don't worry about speed. Mine on a good 2S battery of 50C will top off in the mid 40's with 18/86 gearing.. that may not sound fast, but the truck is really moving and will wheelie at almost any speed.. My son has the same truck with a CC3800 4pole and with gearing of 25/86 will top 50mph.. Neither one of these trucks is very stable at those speeds and they are not modified suspension wise other than running all RPM and ultra shocks..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

35-76,I guess at 23-86 46mph is about all it had.
    Glad to hear you didn't destroy your truck. Did you get to it in time to feel motor heat?
    And how was it out of the hole?

RC Qualifier
    I have had my vxl to 75 and it was not happy about the situation

Best thing if your wanting to just go fast continously get a 1/8 scale motor and esc it will get you some serious speed without breaking a sweat
    Last edited by bigdodge44150; 11-29-2012 at 10:18 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    I have had my vxl to 75 and it was not happy about the situation

Best thing if your wanting to just go fast continously get a 1/8 scale motor and esc it will get you some serious speed without breaking a sweat

Mamba monster

Look my thread:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-monster-Slash
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    35-76,I guess at 23-86 46mph is about all it had.
    Glad to hear you didn't destroy your truck. Did you get to it in time to feel motor heat?
    And how was it out of the hole?
    I did the gearing just to see how fast it would go, was only the 2nd attempt and the first at full throttle, motor temp wasnt bad, but im running a heatsink and fan on the motor. Hole shot wasnt impressive lol i wasnt horrible but you could tell it wanted to wind up, i had 64 and it wasnt done building speed

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by drew816 View Post
    all stock components, esc, 550 motor and i do not want to blow the thing up. I'll swap to street/performance tires, lock down the suspension a bit and run with 2s 5000 mah 25c lipos. So what gearing would be "safe" as to not overheat the system and what can i expect to see performance wise?

Of course i can go and use the calculator and see the theoretical speed but i want to know what i can do without blowing the motor or esc up, what you guys have tried, what worked, what didn't, etc. 23t x 86?

And yes, making it more aerodynamic and less "truck" would certainly help but i want to be able to do a few mods, tire swap, move the suspension and be back in truck mode and i'd rather be able to do this and loose 2 mph top speed then good to far in the other direction or blow my slash up!

Thanks!
    how much money you have will tell you how fast you will go

RC Competitor
    Again, my question was relating to the stock setup and gearing choices. Obviously if I drop $900 and get an XO-1 I can go 80-100 mph. With a stock-ish Slash and the right gearing what can I expect and what do I run as to not overtax the system.

Next up, what are my less expensive hop-up options noting I'm running 2s lipos; a Castle Sidewinder setup or go with Traxxas Velineon?

My intention isn't to try and rebuild my Slash into a XO-1 type car, just to know how fast I can push it ON THE STREET and what gearing to run safely. And once I do hop it up what the optimal mixed setting would be, grass, mud and street (so I can jump off the curb and zip around as well).

I'm not new to RC, just new to these things; I've flown 600 class Helos, Duct Fan and high powered wings moving in the 145+ mph range so programming shouldn't be too much of an issue though I'm learning what all this "car speak" is. ;-) And I appreciate the assistance and education.

THANKS!

RC Qualifier

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the link, I'd been checking this thing out for the last few weeks but what it doesn't tell you is what will WORK and what will blow up your Slash! That's what I was looking for, what gearing combos to use and just how far to push and when to back off and upgrade to a new ESC and Brushless once the stock Titan setup gets boring (if and when that ever happens).

Happy Holidays!

wow that's to cool.
    I entered everything the way i set my slash for my speed run. It estimated 48.6 mph,my gps said it hit 46.
    thanks skye!!! way cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

I run my slash on a pretty good size oval,25to86,out side temp 75 Fahrenheit, average motor temp,mid 200s,that full throttle 85% of the race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew816 View Post
    Thanks for the link, I'd been checking this thing out for the last few weeks but what it doesn't tell you is what will WORK and what will blow up your Slash! That's what I was looking for, what gearing combos to use and just how far to push and when to back off and upgrade to a new ESC and Brushless once the stock Titan setup gets boring (if and when that ever happens).

Happy Holidays!

This year ill have the pro line with the aluminum motor plate,and hopefully aluminum case.
    Hope to run 27-86,and keep motor temp,not much over 200.HOPE!
    One of the sponsored pros i race with,has run his castle up to 400,yes they don't last long.
    But miller beer pays for them,and unless something breaks,hes always first in points,and usually every race.
    But if hes behind in points,for whatever reason,he wont think twice about frying the esc motor,or anything that will slow him down.

RC Competitor
    What kind of speed are you seeing with that setup? How's the Titan holding up?

Thanks for the replies and Happy Holidays!

RC Champion
    The Velineon is a bargain set up and very durable and will run 2-3cell lipo. The Velineon is a 3500kv system 2-pole motor. The Castle doubles that to a 4-pole motor which for that reason develops more torque which is good for getting a heavier vehicle in motion or pushing one with more drag perhaps.

As far as 'too' much motor, well there is a throttle and throttle control, it only goes as fast as you make it and there are setting or gearing that can help you acclimate to the added power. You will find that tire selection and chassis set up play a big role in grip and handling with the extra speed. Every step forward in speed takes several little tweaks to make use of it. If you don't have well glued tires you will find them blowing off the wheels at speed!

Castle 3800kv or Velineon 3500. If you want a waterproof system the Velineon motor and ESC will do that for you. There are some nice tuning benefits of a Castle ESC, punch control and drag brake which can be accessed with their field tuning card.

The 1/8 scale motors being mentioned are longer can motors, a bit heavier too but they can run sustained speeds on 2s and 32 lipo without concerns for overheating, such as the Castle 2400 or 2650 in your chassis and a huge amount of torque (power) come from them!