RC Competitor

Transmission problems

Upgraded to brushless to day and worked well for a while. Tried to go stop to full throttle and I thing something in the transmission tore. The motor and tooth pinions turn but the wheels don't. Tried getting in the transmission box but it takes a million screws. Any help
    Xo-1, rusty vxl, slash brushless i love traxxas

RC Racer
    Sound like the same thing that happened to me. I want to say that it is the idler gear( the middle medium sized one in the tranny) that stripped. Happened twice to me until i finally decided to loosen the slipper clutch. When you take it apart to rebuild i would suggest that you clean out the whole box and inspect every tooth for ware or chips. This is what broke mine the second time. A broken tooth tore the others to shreds. Hope this helps.

If you went brush less and went with the velineon and vxl-s.it has a build in delay.
    if you were going backward and pull the trigger to forward,it shouldn't have moved.It's made that way so things like your problem cant happen. but if you did take out the idle gear? Do yourself a favor,when you get to the hobby shop,you'll find three idler gears steel,$2.99, machined aluminum,$11.99,and machined steel $11.99,If you don't want to do it again soon,don't get the $2.99 one.if you want the best performance,and are weight concerned,go machined aluminum,for pure strength the machined steel is good,But than you'll put more were on the difference gear and the spur output drive gear.
    before i even installed my pro line trans,i took it apart and replaced the plastic idler with the machined aluminum gear.
    buy the cheap steel gear you'll get a third less life from your trans.
    spend the extra nine bucks, and save further problems
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    You guys are nuts.....i drive the holy **** out of my slash on lipo brushless the whole nine yards....and have never broken anything related to my driveline...but of course that could be because of my meticulous maintenance and prep...but seriously, ive done it all from full throttle landing a 20 foot jump, to railing full throttle in the sand hitting a rock to a dead stop...these little transmissions are pretty tough

RC Racer
    Have you checked this parts on your slash?

RC Qualifier
    sounds like the spur gear or the motor screws where not tight and it moved check those first before ripping into transmission

This is the second post about a new slash having probablems, the other guy said the motor adjusting screws came lose on it third run out of the box.
    That still shouldn't cause any internal trans issues.
    I hammer mine on an oval and a short jumping coarse all the time.
    I finally decided to go thru the trans,went bought a new diff set,idler,tore it down,inspected it,clean re lubed,and put it back together.
    But all the parts i bought in my box,it didn't need a thing
    In fact,i tried something different.after cleaning and putting the diff back together,I stuffed it with wheel bearing grease till it came out the holes when I bushed the plate back on,put the four screws in slowly,so the grease could ose past the threads.
    works more like my pro line,like a limited slip.
    corners better,one tire doesn't. slip so much when the weight shifts.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    i just went through this with my slash it was the screws came loose took out the spur sounded like the trans but a $4 fix and some TREAD LOCKER back to bashing

RC Champion
    First, you did say from 'Stop' to 'Full' throttle I believe? We all do that all the time, unless you have 100% traction there isn't much load on any gear to strip it.

If you had modified the slipper setting and have it locked or almost you do have more load on gears. One never knows when something internal will eventually fail and it could have been a fluke.
    My suggestion...........buy a complete whole spare transmission assembled, new take offs are under $30 and often found on the Market forum here. Learn how to remove the old one, it will be a pain the first time but be patient and figure it out. Carefully inspect your slipper assembly, if in doubt get a new one to install. Get it all back together so you can smile

Now, take your time and learn how to rebuild-maintain your old one. I suggest if there is any internal metal to make certain to put all new bearings in it when it goes back together, cheap insurance. Make sure to include the teflon shim washers, use the exploded view diagram from Traxxas to help you, it is pretty easy once you see it apart. With a little tweaking and understanding you can rebuild it to better than stock standards or consider upgrading the slipper assembly along with it.

Have fun!

RC Competitor
    Found it was the roll pin on the first gear. Sadly you have to buy the shaft with it. Hey $5 for a 3mm pin!
    Xo-1, rusty vxl, slash brushless i love traxxas

that happened to me awile back too i had no idea until i got a answer talking about that
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL