RC Competitor

Question lipo and charger questions

Hi everyone,

I an getting some SPC lipos. I was told i can get a pair of 2s and a pair of 3s so I can run 4s, 5s, and 6s. Do the milliamps ratings have to be the same on both the 2s and 3s lipos?

The charger I will be getting is a Hitec X4+.

thanks

RC Qualifier
    Things that need to be the same:
    c rating
    cell count (only applies to parallel applications, series is fine to use different cell counts)
    MAh rating
    Brand
    charge state (voltage of each cell, not the pack)
    and #of cycles through the packs

Different manufacturers have different quality cells, so if you got an equally labeled maxamp and a no name ebay battery, they would be way off from each other in terms of quality and performance (and price, but that is a different story...)

You can run 4, 5 and 6s combos, but the packs need to have close to the same number of runs on them or they will discharge at different rates. Just start with 4s and work up from there. 6s will break parts quickly. I am not sure what your question on the charger is, but i would recommend getting an icharger. they will charge your packs much more efficiently.
    Last edited by Money pit; 11-28-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC Champion
    Good anaology. They should all be identical to avoid issues.

The only thing I sort of disagree with in Money Pits statment is number of runs. While this is a variable its not always true. Running them in series the battery string as a whole is only as good as its weakest cell. The current discharge will be continous throughout the string in a series configuration. A totally different story in a parallel configuration. The cell with the highest internal impedance will restrict current flow of that pack causing more to be drawn from the stronger pack. If quality batteries are bought and cared for properly the service life is greatly extended. The single biggest thing I see most people do and is the single largest contributor to shortening the lifespan of a lipo is not storage charging them when putting them to bed. Storage doesnt mean for months on end, a couple of days counts too. Higher end chargers have this as a feature and will charge or discharge them to storage level. For the budget minded its a manual operation of discharging them by running them then watching the voltage on recharge and stopping at 3.85VDC/cell.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Good anaology. They should all be identical to avoid issues.

The only thing I sort of disagree with in Money Pits statment is number of runs. While this is a variable its not always true. Running them in series the battery string as a whole is only as good as its weakest cell. The current discharge will be continous throughout the string in a series configuration. A totally different story in a parallel configuration. The cell with the highest internal impedance will restrict current flow of that pack causing more to be drawn from the stronger pack. If quality batteries are bought and cared for properly the service life is greatly extended. The single biggest thing I see most people do and is the single largest contributor to shortening the lifespan of a lipo is not storage charging them when putting them to bed. Storage doesnt mean for months on end, a couple of days counts too. Higher end chargers have this as a feature and will charge or discharge them to storage level. For the budget minded its a manual operation of discharging them by running them then watching the voltage on recharge and stopping at 3.85VDC/cell.
    What i meant by the number of cycles was about the same number. It does not have to be exactly the same, it is just not a good idea to use an old 900+ cycle battery with a brand new one. Within reason, you can use different cycle packs, but just don't go too far with mixing cycle counts.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Not sure about the charger in Q.. I think it has four charge ports (I think.... so it doesn't matter for you)

But you can not charge a 2s & a 3s in parellel
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you are going to spend 251.00 on batteries (like i just did)
    invest in a good charger
    dont really need a 3010 as a 206b will work fine http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=169
    heat and low discharge is the other enemys of lipo batteries

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hitec charger has max of 50w of power, for a 2s pack is fine, but it will take longer to charge a 3s pack. General rule when charging is 1 amps x each 1000 mah. A 5000 mah pack you want to charge it at 5 amps min or 1c, some packs can be charged at 10amps or 2c, or more all depends of the manufacturer, the higher the amps you set the charger less time will it take to charge the lipo. To calculate the power needed to charge a pack take the max power of the charger and divide that amount from the total voltage of the pack lets say 50w/7.4 (2s) = 6.7 amps, 50/11.1 = 4.5 that's the max amps you charger can deliver. For the price of the hitec charger you can get an icharger 106b+ it is a 300w charger max output of 10amps, a 350w power supply, and a para board to charge lipos on parallel. It have been running mine for about 2 yrs now without issues.

RC Champion
    ^But will your 300w charger hold your hand and look pretty like my 50w 4ch hitec?

RC Champion
    If your running the packs as a 2 packs as a 4s or 6s then the para charging is best.
    If your running it as a 5s then you can't para charge that way and would need a multi port charger, Otherwise with a powerfull single port charger you have to charge each pack separately, if charging at 1C thats 2 hours.
    The 50W per port charger may be weak but it can charge the 2s at 5A and 3s at 3.9A, a 5000mah packs would take 1hour for the 2s then an extra 48min to finish off the 3s.
    So in total 108minutes using a 50W multi port.
    or 120Minutes using any high power single port charger. If giving the 1C rule.
    At 2C, then charging with the higher power single charger would win easy.
    with the new dual port icharger That is the best of both worlds, very High power and dual port.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Hitec charger has max of 50w of power, for a 2s pack is fine, but it will take longer to charge a 3s pack. General rule when charging is 1 amps x each 1000 mah. A 5000 mah pack you want to charge it at 5 amps min or 1c, some packs can be charged at 10amps or 2c, or more all depends of the manufacturer, the higher the amps you set the charger less time will it take to charge the lipo. To calculate the power needed to charge a pack take the max power of the charger and divide that amount from the total voltage of the pack lets say 50w/7.4 (2s) = 6.7 amps, 50/11.1 = 4.5 that's the max amps you charger can deliver. For the price of the hitec charger you can get an icharger 106b+ it is a 300w charger max output of 10amps, a 350w power supply, and a para board to charge lipos on parallel. It have been running mine for about 2 yrs now without issues.
    There aren't that many better choices for cheap, quality chargers than the iCharger line. I am very leery of any charger stuffing four 50W (or 80W) channels into one box, probably because I've seen the results of the fires - no kidding. That said, this happened only on multiple AC versions of quad chargers.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-29-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion

Question

I like to parallel charge 2 sets of seried packs of 3 cells in series. How many cells am I charging in total?? At what voltage??
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 11-29-2012 at 08:35 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I can charge one spc 5400 at 2c 10.8 amps if I wanted and since I only run identical packs not a problem for me with 30amps and 1000 watts

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    I like to parallel charge 2 sets of seried packs of 3 cells in series. How many cells am I charging in total?? At what voltage??
    parallel charging the cell counts have to be the same, the capacity can be different.
    In series the pack capacity has to be the same.
    If your parallel charging 2x3s packs then that is still a 3s pack, if you was charging 4x3s packs that is still 3s. You add the capacity up, so 4x 5,000mah 3s packs, is equal to one 20,000mah 3s pack.

If you was series charging 2x3s packs then that would be equal to a 6s pack but with the same capacity as the single 3s pack.
    3s 5000mah+3s 5000mah = 6s 5000mah pack.
    Last edited by trax de max; 11-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.

RC Qualifier
    please stop with those icharger bargains lol

~1150W 24V power supply (2x hp dl380): $20
    powerlab6: $164
    powerlab8 (better for 24V input): $229

i personally bought the powerlab 8 because it can give 1200 watts at 24-25V input. the pl6 wants 30 so at 24 it will be at around 800W (not bad for under $200 eh?)

RC Champion
    lol i have a pl8, but have you not seen the new i charger. I don't like the visual looks of any of the icharger range, but you have to admit it has awesome specs.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
    please stop with those icharger bargains lol

~1150W 24V power supply (2x hp dl380): $20
    powerlab6: $164
    powerlab8 (better for 24V input): $229

i personally bought the powerlab 8 because it can give 1200 watts at 24-25V input. the pl6 wants 30 so at 24 it will be at around 800W (not bad for under $200 eh?)
    40A x 6S (25.2V) = 1008W. Are you saying you are close to touching that? If so, you probably not charging surface vehicle battery packs. Loading up a paraboard with 3S packs only requires 504W maximum. I like my PL6 and the PL8v2 is a great machine too, but the initial cost is a shocker and even a deal-breaker for many. If there were only one charger in the universe, IMO one of the Powerlabs should be the chosen instrument.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    well i can say i now have 4 sets of 6s batteries for my trex550e that i split into 3s sets for the revo, and all of them charge parallel 6s. it requires some initial connector&cabling welding, but after that its superb. and the 1000W+ are useful there!

each of my 6s is split into 2x3s cells and have 1 ec5 connector with a long cable to connect in series and to the connector (because the revo requires them to be at a 15cm distance). i also put an ec5 to the mamba esc and its all good. i will put a photo later

RC Qualifier

Photos of banned products are not permitted and have been removed.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-29-2012 at 06:01 PM.

RC Champion
    Your packs look like you peeled that duct tape off too many times. Fuzi^

Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    parallel charging the cell counts have to be the same, the capacity can be different.
    In series the pack capacity has to be the same.
    If your parallel charging 2x3s packs then that is still a 3s pack, if you was charging 4x3s packs that is still 3s. You add the capacity up, so 4x 5,000mah 3s packs, is equal to one 20,000mah 3s pack.

If you was series charging 2x3s packs then that would be equal to a 6s pack but with the same capacity as the single 3s pack.
    3s 5000mah+3s 5000mah = 6s 5000mah pack.
    Okay, I was trying to be confusing but, no you saw right through it. How many cells was I charging?

I really dislike my pl8 for charging anything over 1s in series because it needs a balance tap to every cell.(Sure I know it's the correct way to charge unbalanced cells)
    Where can I buy a Traxxas HC connector Para board at?
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 11-29-2012 at 04:24 PM.

RC Competitor
    thanks everyone!!!

I am going to get the SPC batts and the I charger setup recomended by 50togo. I will get the 3010 setup because i do not want to have to keep buying these things...

i do not see the plug that goes from the charger to the batts in the picture though. Does it come with a traxxas connector plug or do i have to make it?

thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Okay, I was trying to be confusing but, no you saw right through it. How many cells was I charging?

I really dislike my pl8 for charging anything over 1s in series because it needs a balance tap to every cell.(Sure I know it's the correct way to charge unbalanced cells)
    Where can I buy a Traxxas HC connector Para board at?
    how i pick it up is you charge 4 batts, 2x3s in series and 2x3s parallel with them. If they are 5,000mah packs then it would be the same as a 6s 10,000mah lipo.
    I think i have only seen one board with traxxas connectors a while back. I just use the simple adaptor from deans to traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mist_Raider View Post
    thanks everyone!!!

I am going to get the SPC batts and the I charger setup recomended by 50togo. I will get the 3010 setup because i do not want to have to keep buying these things...

i do not see the plug that goes from the charger to the batts in the picture though. Does it come with a traxxas connector plug or do i have to make it?

thanks
    I don't think chargers come with traxxas plugs as they are only specific to traxxas vehicles, unlike deans and ec5's. They're easily available online for whatever you need.

RC Champion
    Im running the Hitech X2 400W per channel.
    Power supply is a converted HP server power supply 1300W picked up on fleabay for $16.95 shipped and modded for RC use. 100A at 13.2VDC with 120VAC in.
    I charge two 3s 5000mAh 40C packs from LV cutoff to full charge in 12 minutes.

The power supply didnt even break a sweat!

RC Competitor
    Thanks,

I am going to a hobby store today and maybe they can put me on the right track with a good setup...

JustinThyme, The charge rate of your batts is really fast! I wonder if that is safe for them...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thanks everyone!!!

thanks
    Here you go http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=93

RC Competitor
    thanks 50togo,

This is what I am currently looking at.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...harger-DYN4300

RC Champion
    Thanks,

I am going to a hobby store today and maybe they can put me on the right track with a good setup...

JustinThyme, The charge rate of your batts is really fast! I wonder if that is safe for them...
    I dont always charge them that fast but when I need a quick turn around I do, in a lipo bag. They are rated for a 5C charge rate or 25amps, The charger mentioned is 20amps. I kept an eye on them the first few times and the packs didnt even heat up. Keep in mind that the batteries are rated for it and that this is a DC only charger so no AC ripple is coming out of the charger to the batteries.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I do the same. On some of my batteries they can handle 2c at 10.8a but when not in a hurry I stick around 3 or 4 amp charge . And really best not to parallel charge all the time
    My merv thunder power batteries are 12c but you wont see me charging them at 21.6a!
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-05-2012 at 09:54 AM.