Thread: What to buy?

RC Competitor

What to buy?

So I want to get an electric R.C. I went to my local hobby store and they recommended the Stampede 4x4. After looking at the Traxxas website and doing a bit of research, the stampede seems like a good choice for a first timer. But should I entertain other models? I will mainly be running it at near by parks on grass/dirt
    And gravel with my son. The current stampede kit has the NiMH batteries included, but I would like to
    Upgrade to the lipo batteries, which my local hobby store told me that traxxas is soon to include this
    Upgrade in a new kit?
    Any suggestions/recomondations would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-29-2012 at 05:46 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stampede is great truck for any kind of road condition. Definitely you want lipo battery to get the max of out your truck.

RC poster
    If you want the option to race on a track, you might want to consider the Slash 4x4. If not, definitely the Stampede 4x4. I have both and the Stampede is definitely a more fun basher IMHO.

If you get the stampede you will be a happy man because it can do all sorts of jumps,speedruns and tricks its a jack of all trades...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks all, what about spending a bit more and getting the e-revo?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    If this is your first modern hobby grade rc, I would stick with the smaller stampede/slash 2w or 4w trucks. The erevo costs a lot more initially, especially when you consider the cost of more batteries, and a charger that can keep up.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If money is not an issue consider an erevo, or emaxx, you won't look back.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I did! It will be a matter of personal preference.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    The only other model I would even think about is maybe a 2wd Stampede.

As far as a lipo.
    Start with a 2S.. the 3S is to fast for a stock truck. You would need to upgrade a fair amount of parts otherwise.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I own many different models and they are all fun in different ways. Look at it this way the bigger the truck the more initial cost and more costly for replacement parts and to upgrade. Not saying thats a bad thing, just keep that in mind. If you move up the an E-Revo or EMaxx you will need twice the batteries to run the truck.

The stampede 4x4 is awesome right out of the box. A few upgrades and its good to go. I would stay 2S with the stock motor/esc. You can pick up the current model and purchase Lipo from SPC or Promatch Racing. Currently SPC has 2S 5000mah 25c packs for $23.95. You can't beat that. I'd pick up a couple packs and a good charger. Something like a Dynamite Passport Ultra or Racers Edge Surecharge 2010. I've used both of these and they've done me a very good job. There are others that are just as good just dont skimp out on one.

Hope this helps ya man.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Thanks again. The new Stampede kit looks like it comes with the 2S LiPO. So I think I will go with that and spend some $ on
    Upgrades and mods. Thanks everyone for your input.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post

The stampede 4x4 is awesome right out of the box. A few upgrades and its good to go. I would stay 2S with the stock motor/esc. You can pick up the current model and purchase Lipo from SPC or Promatch Racing. Currently SPC has 2S 5000mah 25c packs for $23.95. You can't beat that. I'd pick up a couple packs and a good charger. Something like a Dynamite Passport Ultra or Racers Edge Surecharge 2010. I've used both of these and they've done me a very good job. There are others that are just as good just dont skimp out on one.

Hope this helps ya man.

What are some upgrades I should do right out of the box(as I break things)?
    I have heard a-arms and drive shafts break easy? Any suggestions?

RPM makes great a arms and Mip X-Duty axles will keep you from breaking axles. I have both on my trucks and its a rare occasion that have broken parts.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Quote Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
    What are some upgrades I should do right out of the box(as I break things)?
    I have heard a-arms and drive shafts break easy? Any suggestions?
    El Sob nailed it there. RPM A-arms are a very good upgrade. On upgrading your axles, what battery are you planning on running? I bashed my truck for quite a while on 2S and 3S with the stock shafts. You can either upgrade at the begining or wait until something breaks to upgrade it. Running the stock motor and electrics you will be ok with the motor mount but it would be a good idea down the road to pick up the aluminum bearing adapter. The stock plastic & bearing tends to fail on occasions.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

And get a good motor mount like kingshead or traxxas alu one and when your slipper needs changing go with the revo setup.....peace

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    And get a good motor mount like kingshead or traxxas alu one and when your slipper needs changing go with the revo setup.....peace
    I am new to the hobby, so please explain to me what a motor mount is? Judging by the name I just figured it was how the motor was held in place, but if you say it has a bearing in it, then it must do more.

RC Qualifier
    So I want to get an electric R.C. I went to my local hobby store and they recommended the Stampede 4x4. After looking at the Traxxass website and doing a bit of research, the stampede seems like a good choice for a first timer. But should I entertain other models? I will mainly be running it at near by parks on grass/dirt
    And gravel with my son. The current stampede kit has the NiMH batteries included, but I would like to
    Upgrade to the lipo batteries, which my local hobby store told me that traxxass is soon to include this
    Upgrade in a new kit?
    Any suggestions/recomondations would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    If you're running on gravel and dirt, definately go fo the 4X4 to get traction for acceleration and not getting stuck in leaves or tall grass when you get off course. I have a 2WD Stampede also, and you can't get near the traction on takeoff, as you'd expect. You can now get the 4X4 with Lipo right in the box from the factory. You'll want to add metal axles before any other upgrades. I've got MIP in the back and Integy XHD on the front. The Integy's come assembled, cost half as much, and seem to be wearing better (not as sloppy) than the MIP's, but they have their fans for sure. My dog prefers to chase the VXL 4X4. He gets bored with the 2WD because it's too easy to catch, especially trying to accelerate out of turns where he tries to ambush them!

I am new to the hobby, so please explain to me what a motor mount is? Judging by the name I just figured it was how the motor was held in place, but if you say it has a bearing in it, then it must do more.
    If you plan on upgrading the Motor I would look at getting the Motor mount. Kingheadz is one of the best around, It's aluminum so its much sturdier than plastic. It offers a larger bearing which is a plus. Combine that with their bearing adapter and its practically bulletproof there.

KHZ-TRX-6860
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

+1 on what digger said they are better at dissipating heat as well dude...peace

RC Competitor
    K.. Got my Stampede, now looking to get some upgrades for xmas presents . So far you guys have recomended
    1) kingheads motor mount
    2) bearing adapter

I have read many posts on this forum and found out i will also need:
    1) rpm a arms

BUT, should i buy ?????
    1) drive axels
    2) big bore shocks
    3) aluminum shock towers
    4) esc cooling fan..

I basically need a list of common parts that will break so i can replace on the spot and a list of parts i can replace ahead of time to ensure lower maintenance on my stampede.

Also, i like the idea of the traxxas link setup with my iphone on the controller....is this worth it?

Thanks.

1. get mips all round or teknos they both are awesome
    2. get big bores and use your stock springs that you have got now with them or prolines
    3. get rpm they are the best
    4. get the vxl esc fan and a heatsink and fan for the motor JOB DONE dude ....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    1. get mips all round or teknos they both are awesome
    + 1! In my opinion this is the first thing to upgrade, after a few runs the rear stock drive shafts will break.

RC Qualifier
    K.. Got my Stampede, now looking to get some upgrades for xmas presents . So far you guys have recomended
    1) kingheads motor mount
    2) bearing adapter

I have read many posts on this forum and found out i will also need:
    1) rpm a arms

BUT, should i buy ?????
    1) drive axels
    2) big bore shocks
    3) aluminum shock towers
    4) esc cooling fan..

I basically need a list of common parts that will break so i can replace on the spot and a list of parts i can replace ahead of time to ensure lower maintenance on my stampede.

Also, i like the idea of the traxxas link setup with my iphone on the controller....is this worth it?

Thanks.
    I agree with cossack, metal axles are number 1. Rear is 1A, front is 1B.
    Cooling fan is #2. The harder you run and longer, the more cooling you need. I started with the ESC cooler and motor heat sink after burning a couple up. When I switched to Lipo. I blew a motor apart because it got too hot. Just finished installing twin Integy fans w/integral heat sink on a new motor. I'll try that out tomorrow, but it has to run cooler. IMO, big bore shocks would be next. I ran mine for at least 8 months or more before I had to replace the motor bearing. Still running a stock bearing mount. I'm not a fan of aluminum shock towere. Plastic bends and goes back. Aluminum bends and stays that way. I added an alumininum stiffening rod screwed into the top of each shock tower that I made out of aluminum strap. Cheap fix, and great grab handle when you're working on the truck.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    People always forget to buy temperature guns. Fans are great and all, but only a temp gun can tell you how your motor/esc is actually operating.

http://www.duratrax.com/accessories/nitro/dtxp3100.html
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    People always forget to buy temperature guns. Fans are great and all, but only a temp gun can tell you how your motor/esc is actually operating.

http://www.duratrax.com/accessories/nitro/dtxp3100.html
    I was thinking about getting the Traxxas link app for my iPhone and using that to tell me my temp and battery info. Any experience with it? Is it worth it or more of a gimmick?

RC Champion
    the stampede 4x4 is a great choise. good luck, and have fun. i had mine a year now, and broke nothing yet.
    i dont really think you need to upgrade right away. if your new to the hobby. just get to know your truck first, and have fun. unless you really want to. it is your truck.
    only thing ive done in a year was turn mine into a rustypede. proline desert rat body for the rustler. and j-concept wheels. only thing ive done to it in a year. this pic has rustler wheels, but i have j-concept now

i have proline trenchers in the mail. so next week it will have another new look.
    Last edited by ajcar; 12-16-2012 at 05:49 AM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.