RC Competitor

Lipos in slash 4x4

Hey guys I have heard a lot about 2 and 3 cell lipos in this truck. Have heard that 3 cell lipos just tear up the truck and fries the electronics. What do u guys think? I have heard that 2 cell lipo don't make much difference in speed. I want my truck fast, but I drive on dirt 24/7 when I drive my truck. Thanks guys

RC Champion
    lipo will give you the same performance through out the whole pack, while NIMH just dies on you.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Racer
    ive run 3s and it is hard on the truck. plastic driveshafts get ripped apart very easily. So i run 2s only pretty much. If you get a lipo get at least a 5000mah 40c. Those have dropped in price and are worth the extra cost. You will puff a 5000 20c in a short amount of time in the 4x4.

And 2s is slower than a 7c nimh for about 30 seconds, then the nimh drops off a bit and the lipo will have consistent power until its about dead. plus the packs last years instead of just months. My oldest lipo (SMC 5200 24c) is 2.5 years old and still keeps up with my brand new packs.

I recommend spc lipos, ive had good luck with those. Plus they dont cost very much. However if you want traxxas lipos i can say those are really good packs too. We've beat the heck out of those things and they just keep going, but they do cost a bit more.

RC Competitor
    What about g e n s a c e lipos? I have heard nothing but good about those. Thanks

Do you think attempts to bypass the language filter should be given infractions whether or not the actual word is filtered?
    Here's a suggestion: preview your posts to check if any of the words you've typed are appropriate for this forum. If there are inappropriate words, edit them. Do not bypass the filter.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-27-2012 at 04:45 PM.

RC Racer
    Ive seen a lot of those and from what i have seen they have been good packs. However they are not rated right. They are overrated and you will need to buy a better battery than what it says. I know multiple people who had the 5300 30c and they puffed in a 4x4. however they were fine in a 2wd.

SPC has batteries on sale right now for about the same price as a gens ace. If it was me id get the SPC hands down. They are just better packs.
    Last edited by WJ Jeep Guy; 11-27-2012 at 04:11 PM.

RC Competitor
    Ok thanks so much. How about this? http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=121

RC Champion
    That spc would be a perfect starter lipo

RC Qualifier
    I have a 2s and 3s spc lipos there are both 5400 mah 50c the 3s is hard case and the 2s is soft case. I charge them with a onyx 235 charger and it works perfect! Charges each battery in a little over an hour!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash_4x4 View Post
    Ok thanks so much. How about this? http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=121
    I run thier 3S awesome stuff. The 3S is soft pack and I have had some killer crashes bashing with NO problems.

RC Champion
    Lean towards a hard case lipo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    Lean towards a hard case lipo
    Just bear in mind that puffing/swelling of the LiPo's is not always obvious in a hard case.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Racer
    2s is perfect unless youjust need the speed.
    Slash 4x4
    MERV

RC Competitor
    why does a low c rated battery puff in a slash 4x4 ..what causes that?

RC Champion
    a battery will only puff if its damaged. typically overcharge. c rating wont cause it to puff.

low c rating reduces the amp draw that battery can finance

RC Qualifier
    There is a good venom 2s 30c hardcase 5000mah lipo I heard it is very good battery and I am getting it

RC Competitor
    I just bought a venom 2s 20c 4000mah hardcase from a guy for 20 bucks from a guy brand new

RC Competitor
    Well I am going to stick with the 2 cell lipo but still don't know whether to go gens ace or spc

RC Competitor
    I heard both are good .. any on heard of rhino lipos?

RC Competitor
    Nope I haven't heard of rhino lipos

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash_4x4 View Post
    Well I am going to stick with the 2 cell lipo but still don't know whether to go gens ace or spc
    Call SPC talk to Tom great guy. He convinced me.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    a battery will only puff if its damaged. typically overcharge. c rating wont cause it to puff.

low c rating reduces the amp draw that battery can finance
    Thats not true at all. If you buy a low C rating battery for a 4x4 truck the excessive amp draw will cause the cells to puff. If you buy, lets say 5000 20c lipo, thats good for 100 amps (5x20=100), and the motor pulls 100 amps, which vxls do, the lipo will puff. A few guys a while back tested lipos at their claimed rates and they all puffed. So you need to get a lipo that is capable of more than what your motor will pull.

So for the 4x4 a 5000 40c would be good. That will do 200 amps (5x40=200), and is no where close to the 100 amps the vxl or similar motors can pull.

If you dont know how lipos work, how to care for them, and how to pick out the right lipos for your truck you should NOT be buying them. They can be very dangerous and can cause fires. Please dont purchase batteries just because they are cheap. A 4000 20c lipo in a slash 4x4 will puff and could possibly burn the truck down.
    Last edited by WJ Jeep Guy; 11-30-2012 at 12:04 AM.

RC Racer
    i have seen a losi 2.0e burn about an hour after a guy bought it used with a used china batter and it burnt to the ground and most of the truck was a complete loss. defently watch your lipos, but have fun and dont be afriad about getting them. lipos are getting cheaper all the time and you dont need to buy the expensive ones just look for the c raiting and your motor just like wjjeepguy said. be smart and have fun.
    Slash 4x4
    MERV

RC Competitor
    So what is the lowest c rated battery I can use? ..I have a slash 4x4 vx l and a axial exo terra buggy with velineon system in it??

Also if the battery is kinda squishy does that mean its puffed? How do I know if a battery is puffed? I have a 3s 5000mah 20 c lipo ibhave been using in both trucks with velenion system for a while now ..I havent uaed the 2cell 4000 20c yet
    Last edited by spewya; 11-30-2012 at 05:18 PM.