RC Qualifier

New to the Slash

Hey guys im usually over at the p2de forum but recently saw how well the slash handled so I thought I would get into building a slash. Couple questions for you all. I have the all black chassis coming in and a castle 4600kv with the sv2 esc. I will be running on 2s and 3s lipos. I was wondering if the arms and the transmissions are the same for the slash and the stampede? Also with this setup what gearing do you think I should run, it will be run on semi packed dirt.
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Champion
    With the SV2 ESC on 3S make sure you put a fan on it, if it doesn't have one built-in. You can take the fan in the motor shroud and mount it over the ESC instead of the motor and zip tie it right on. That ESC is great on 2S but can overheat on 3S without a fan. Transmissions are identical for Slash and Stampede, as long as they're both 2WD.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    awesome. Yeah ill just run the 2s until I get a fan for the esc. So are front and rear a arms the same also then? The only change is the chassis??

RC Racer
    The other thing is the 4600 motor on 3s. That is a great motor, i have one, but it gets very hot on 2s in a slash. 3s is really pushing it. You can do it but run times will be short, and a heat sink and fan are recommended. There's a eagle racing heat sink that fits on the traxxas transmissions. Its sold by integy but dont worry it isnt made by them. haha

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVWE8&P=7

then you can get a smaller fan and glue it on the fins with shoe goo or E6000. Thats what i did a long time ago.

Im not sure if the sv2 kits come with the motor fan too, but if they do cut the sides off of it (or at lease put a hole in the sides) and glue it on top of the esc with shoe goo. If you leave the sides on it really restricts airflow and the esc can still get hot.
    Last edited by WJ Jeep Guy; 11-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Front arms are the same, rears are different.

I know that the rear arms are different.
    Be careful with that on 3s
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ Jeep Guy View Post
    The other thing is the 4600 motor on 3s. That is a great motor, i have one, but it gets very hot on 2s in a slash. 3s is really pushing it. You can do it but run times will be short, and a heat sink and fan are recommended. There's a eagle racing heat sink that fits on the traxxas transmissions. Its sold by integy but dont worry it isnt made by them. haha

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVWE8&P=7

then you can get a smaller fan and glue it on the fins with shoe goo or E6000. Thats what i did a long time ago.

Im not sure if the sv2 kits come with the motor fan too, but if they do cut the sides off of it (or at lease put a hole in the sides) and glue it on top of the esc with shoe goo. If you leave the sides on it really restricts airflow and the esc can still get hot.
    I have the Eagle racing heat sink. I've heard that you should apply computer heatsink thermal paste to the heatsink when you install it on the motor to improve the heat conduction. It makes sense, since computer processor heatsinks don't work worth beans without thermal paste. Funny thing is, knowing that, I haven't put thermal paste on mine yet, and I have an even hotter motor, the Castle CM36 5700kV 2-pole motor...

Of course, I don't even own a 3S battery... I break enough parts on 2S! Might be different if I learned some throttle control...
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    alright awesome looks like ill order some rpm rear arms a new clear body and drive it on 2s for a while until I see how it is. Does anybody run the 4600 here and if so what gearing or anybody recommend gearing?

It's just my opinion, but even the best drivers have a hard time with 3s.
    Maybe on a big oval or something like that. The guys I race with,wont even let you run 3s,reason being,to much power.
    I have 1 3s for playing around,but you better strengthen up your drive train if you plan on running them a lot.
    Or keep a bunch of extra drive shafts around.
    I run steel Tekno's,and a 3s make's em work.
    Chances are you'll break something,before heat becomes a problem.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. I have a couple 2s I will stick with. My castle 4600 and Esc came in last night my skid plates are supposed to be in later this week. Niw waiting for a body and need wheels. Im going to run the proline six wheels what tires does everyone recommend, it will be run in medium packed dirt.