RC poster

Getting back into R/C, interested in the Slayer

I have been out of R/C for awhile but have a pretty good understanding of all the parts and how everything works. I had electrics before, never any nitro cars, did have quite a few planes though so I do understand nitro engines. I am really interested in the Slayer but had a few questions, I searched but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. How does the 4x4 system hold up in these? I know sometimes 4x4 systems can have issues or break. Also how clean does this one stay, I am not against cleaning but just curious how the exhaust out the back does. Also how is tuning with the 3.3? It seems to be simple from what I read but curious to hear what you guys say. I am also going to have to buy it fully RTR so how is the systems that come with it? I have read alot about putting stronger servos in, and curious if that is fully recommended. Thanks for any input guys!

RC Competitor
    Welcome to the forum. I have had my slayer for over a year now and it has been problem free. So far the 4x4 system has held up great. Out of the box it is a direct link between front and back doffs throught the transmission and drive shafts but you can get a center differential to install (about to add that mod to mine). The exhaust coming out the back seems to keep most of the oil off the truck, jus the rear bumper gets oil and exhaust dirt on it. Other then that cleaning is pretty straight forward, dirt level will depend on your driving surface. I had a ton of RC airplane experience prior to getting my slayer and have had no problems with tuning the 3.3 engine.

The stock radio and servos that come with the truck seemed fine, but I eventually added an aftermarket radio system with a higher torque servo in the steering, no noticable difference in driving, just personal preference with the radio system.

One mod I would highly recommend is putting the sway bars on it. The truck will roll pretty easy on high traction surfaces, the sway bars help prevent that a lot.

Hope that helps. You'll love the slayer, great truck!

Bill

RC poster
    Thanks for the input! Hearing about the 4x4 system makes me feel better for sure. I also do like that the exhaust out the rear keeps it mostly clean. That is a big bonus for me, especially since I wont be racing right away and just bashing it around. I may upgrade the servos right away because my LHS likes to package stuff cheaply, sometimes even free, so I might be able to talk them into some nice servos. I have read a lot on the sway bars also, I will for sure install those. I am pumped, just trying to sell off some stuff before I pull the trigger on it. Any more advice from anyone else would also be greatly appreciated, I love here multiple opinions.

RC Qualifier
    Riverbluff siad it all. It's a great truck, I loved mine, Everything was in the right spot. Only the rear bumper gets oil on it and the tuneing needles are easy to get too. There is not one bad thing on this truck that i know of. There is not much more to say other then get the swaybar kit. It's just a veary bad @$$ truck. It gets pretty good run times too on one tank. Just remember to break it in the correct way when you get it.
    Slash 4x4,

Welcome to the fourms! I love my Slayer, it a very tough truck. Make sure you break the engine in correctly. If you don't, it will give you alot of headaches. Just take you time and don't rush, or skip any thing during the break in. The sway bar kit is a must, it helps alot with the handling. If you have anymore questions, just ask! We're here to help!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Thanks to all of you, this is exactly the input/feedback I was looking for. I will follow the break in procedures. We have quite large parking lots and parking decks where I go to school so plenty of open room to do it correctly. Once I decide to buy it the sway bar will be ordered the same day, if not purchased sooner. What kind of average run times do you get out of a tank with this truck?

Are there any other upgrades you would recommend? I mean, like I said, at least at first its going to be a backyard and parking lot truck with one of my roommates.

Also if I wanted to get another body in time, who all makes some for this, and what other bodies will fit it? I think I read something about Revo bodies fitting?

RC Competitor
    Proline makes a Short Course styled replacement and then, of course, is the Traxxas body. Revo bodies will fit if you want something other than a SC truck style.
    Formerly Wildjones before forum upgrade

RC poster
    Awesome, thanks! When I looked on ProLine I noticed there are like 4-5 Slayer "kits". Will any of those fit the Slayer Pro? Also if I am going to be running it on some pavement mostly, what tires would you recommend? And how do the stock ones work with like a hard pack dirt or clay? I am thinking just get a set of asphalt, and use the stock for dirt? And do you guys recommend the 17mm adapters?

RC poster
    Is the correct part number for the Slayer Pro 4x4 sway bar kit, Traxxas 5998? Also do you have to have the rear wing mount I see mentioned sometimes?
    Last edited by jspoon13; 11-28-2012 at 03:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    If your going to be on the pavement alot I'd look into some hub extensions from Integy. ONe of the few parts that I haven't had a issue with from them. I have the +12mm ones which widend it about a inch. Helps stable the truck out and also helps the truck stay on all fours for some drifting fun. One thing with those hubs is they are a 17mm hex, which isn't bad seeing it opens up your wheel options. Other than those and the sway bars and some stiffer springs, I really haven't done much else to it. It's a great all around truck, and it's never let me down.
    Yup that's the kit you need. And you won't need the wing mount to install it either.

Pro line makes a flo tek body for the slayer pro. I have one for mine and really like it. It helps with the parachute effect you get on speed runs. Check my build out if you want to check the body out.

RC Champion
    Slayer's drivetrain seems to be pretty solid. It's difficult to get completely clean though because all the components are placed (neatly) together tightly. Definitely stiffer springs, and you're going to get ALOT on undercarriage wear because it's so close to the ground. Just expect that. Overall great truck.
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    Thanks everyone, I was set on traxxas, but after all the great help on here there is no doubt I am going traxxas, and everything you have said about the truck has sent me in the direction of the Slayer! thanks guys!

RC Qualifier
    It's a great truck and if you ever wanted it Electric you can convert it to an E-Slayer with an E-Revo chassis and what not. Or you can convert it into a Revo 3.3 or E-Revo. Thats whats nice about it, If you ever wanted to change it you can with out haveing to buy a whole new kit. You wont be let down with the Slayer though.
    Slash 4x4,