Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

emaxx with Velineon 3500 Brushless Motor

hi new to the blog just getting in to the hobby need advice would the Velineon 3500 Brushless Motor be ok to put in to the emaxx or does it not have enough power or also was told it would over heat because it doesnt have enough torque

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it won't be ok, emaxx is mostly a heavy 1/8 truck, velineon is good for 1/10 on lighter vehicles. I've seen dual velineon settings on the emaxx, but one won't be up to the task.

RC Qualifier
    geared right they do alittle bit better than the brushed system i have done two of these trucks so far i did a 3905 and a 3906 also another key is a light wheel and tire combo ,the 3905 i use a 2.8 trencher and made wheel hexes for it with 18 and 68 gearing. the 3906 is useing the 3.8 e-maxx chevrons and is geared 18 /66

1 3500motor will not work right, it will overheat you would have to gear down alot and wouldnt be worth it. 2 motors will work out ok but not 1. pick up a cheaper system than the MMM like hobbywing is been good to me.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    thank you for the advice

RC Qualifier
    Look on youtube at jetlag222 he did a single 3500 their is alot of info on his comments

RC Racer
    A buddy if mine put one in a summit which is bigger than a emaxx and he doesn't have heat issues he is just geared low. Still has tons if power

RC Qualifier
    As 4sdash said, it can work with correct gearing. I had a VXl in a 3906 with no issues at all but it was geared conservatively. In comparison with the stock brushed I had about the same speed running 2s but if I needed more speed I could go 3s.
    With that said you can't compare a VXL with a MMM.
    Not enough space here

RC Qualifier
    the vxl runs cooler in my emaxx then in my slash 4x4 lol and the vxl is no comparison to a mmm i have both but the vxl truck is more fun in the snow

RC Qualifier
    One thing that very few people take into consideration on a single VXL MAXX is that it is much lighter than stock brushed:

- uses only one motor instead of two;
    - ESC is slightly lighter;
    - you need one battery only instead of two.

That makes the motor and ESC job a little easier.
    Not enough space here

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fvj View Post
    One thing that very few people take into consideration on a single VXL MAXX is that it is much lighter than stock brushed:

- uses only one motor instead of two;
    - ESC is slightly lighter;
    - you need one battery only instead of two.

That makes the motor and ESC job a little easier.
    Absolutely right. You cut a lot of weight.
    And just so you guys know, it DOES work. I have done it with a 3906 AND with a 3905. It works good in both trucks.
    Hwoever, you will need to lower the gearing a tad because it is a 1/10 motor.
    When I had my vxl in a 3905 it had a good amount of power and ok speed. And I was only running it on nimh, so it would go awesome with a 2s or 3s lipo.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    madscrapper ,cinnabun, an me made a vid today of the 3906 with a single vxl gear 18/66 clocked it at 48 mph by bussnell radar gun truck running cool as ever the truck is very light and i run a pretty small 3s its a 3200 30 i hope madscapper can post it up for me cinnabun flux went 42 on 4s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    to 4sdash, how were the temps ?, how long did you ran it ? what type of terrain ?

you guys do realize that the models you guys are sticking the VXL's in are the older models that are smaller too compared to a 3903/3908 right? the new models are longer, wider, bigger now not to mention better . I can see how it would do ok in a smaller emaxx version basicly than a larger 1/8 scale size just about.

RC Qualifier
    We were on the street. Temps stay low on the vxl, it never goes into thermal. We did only do a couple speed runs today, but between the 3906 with the vxl and my flux xl with the mmm/2200 the temps never got up to full temp we didn't run the trucks long enough.

I think 48mph is awesome for the truck. I also think 42mph for my big heavy turd of a flux was great.

You guys also need to remember that the emaxx has a trans. It's not the same load as trying to move a slash, rally or stampede that is a direct drive.
    Last edited by Cinnabun; 12-02-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Qualifier
    The size difference is only in length its maybe 3 or 4 inches shorter not a huge difference in size.working on posting the video i still can't believe that thing was that fast.
    Last edited by madscrapper85; 12-02-2012 at 05:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
    The size difference is only in length its maybe 3 or 4 inches shorter not a huge difference in size.working on posting the video i still can't believe that thing was that fast.
    The 3905's are slightly wider I believe.

RC Qualifier

they run the 14mm wheels unlike 17mm and the tires are a little larger you cant say run a taller tire without gearing down even more. every inch makes a difference and unless someone sticks a VXL in a 3903/3908 emaxx to try it then its a guess if it would work right as far as temps go

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
    Awesome video. Do you have the footage of the vorza vs 3906?

RC Qualifier
    Mike man if you want to hate take it somewhere else a e maxx doing 48 mph on video is good in any book guys are trying to get 3908 to 50 and not doing it go rain on another parade.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    you guys do realize that the models you guys are sticking the VXL's in are the older models that are smaller too compared to a 3903/3908 right? the new models are longer, wider, bigger now not to mention better . I can see how it would do ok in a smaller emaxx version basicly than a larger 1/8 scale size just about.
    Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting a single VXL is ideal on a E-Maxx, regardless if it is a 3906 or the newer version. I just said it is a possibility and may work better than you think. Check on youtube and you will see many new E-Maxx running on single VXL. Many people here in the forum also run a single VXL with no issues.

But as I mentioned in my previous post, nothing compares to a MMM.
    Not enough space here

Quote Originally Posted by fvj View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting a single VXL is ideal on a E-Maxx, regardless if it is a 3906 or the newer version. I just said it is a possibility and may work better than you think. Check on youtube and you will see many new E-Maxx running on single VXL. Many people here in the forum also run a single VXL with no issues.

But as I mentioned in my previous post, nothing compares to a MMM.
    i understand what everyone is saying it can work and see that your going to be limited very limited on gearing so you dont overheat the vxl. and i will totally agree there is nothing like a MMM or similar. i have my wpsc8+2000kv motor and it seems like i can gear far more higher than i am right now at 21/65 to like 24/58. temps are low right now at 111/126 no matter how much i push it on grass the whole packs 4s, offroading agressive terrain.

To madscrapper85- i didnt see the vid posted till later on nice vid there and good job on the vxl in there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    to 4sdash, how were the temps ?, how long did you ran it ? what type of terrain ?
    i want to apologize to superdan for jacking his thread to rc fan i havent check the temps in awhile after i do my testing in the condition i play i dont look at them agian until the amibent temp changes drastickly ,like 30 degrees ,i run thick and thin grass , mulch, and black top mainly ,every now and then i go to the canal and do hill climbs . first gear nothing gets hot at all in any surface . it will wheelie as long as you can hold the trigger , second gear im alittle over geared but i do speed runs and race my freinds like that im running the newer stock e-maxx tires so they spin alot and help from heating thing up , i want to thank madscrapper for taking the vid and cinnabun for radaring for me , it was a good day had by all . and to mike i have done a 3905 on a single vxl it ran very close to this one except i made hexes so i could run a 2.8 trencher . also i have a mmm emaxx and revo i think nothing is better but there not water proof or proofed so i built the truck for the snow and i think it will do well for what it was intended for it just happens to be fast too
    Last edited by 4sdash; 12-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.

that i do like a waterproof systems thats why i went with the wpsc8 , you did a good job on that emaxx.

RC Qualifier
    that i do like a waterproof systems thats why i went with the wpsc8 , you did a good job on that emaxx.
    thank you mike i appreciate the kind words how do you like the system you have do you have and vids of you truck

Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    thank you mike i appreciate the kind words how do you like the system you have do you have and vids of you truck
    I have them posted in my thread in the forum here. it should have about 5 plus vids i need an open road smooth to hit 100% throttle a couple vids my wife is driving.
    the system is working out great i dont have it wired in series so i use the series traxxas connector i just have to rewire it with some 10g wires instead of the 16-18g it has.
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 12-03-2012 at 12:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    nice vids mike

nice vids mike
    Thanks I usually set the phone down so i dont have to have it clipped to the tx and move around so much. I try to use my wife phone but she is always on it LOL.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks I usually set the phone down so i dont have to have it clipped to the tx and move around so much. I try to use my wife phone but she is always on it LOL.
    man do i know that feeling she talks to her mom so much i have offered to let her move back in with her mom

RC Qualifier
    The maxx isn't ready for the flux on 6s

man do i know that feeling she talks to her mom so much i have offered to let her move back in with her mom
    haha thats not what my wife does she talks to her friends over text apps since she has unlimted data but man that is funny about you offering your wife to move back in with her mom hahahha she didnt right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabun View Post
    The maxx isn't ready for the flux on 6s
    is the flux the same as the MMM? I wouldnt run my emaxx on 6s for the reason being i dont want to have to upgrade stuff breaking lol

RC Qualifier
    Yeh it's the castle 2200 motor and monster esc. The flux is huge compared to the emaxx though.. But 6s should make it faster than the emaxx. If not, I'll run him with the vorza, which also has the same flux set-up as the savage.

RC Qualifier
    i will 6s the maxx aint scared i really like the 21/62 gearing i put in there doesnt car the front as much and will actually make a full speed pass

I was going to try 21/58 on mine if i can mesh the gears and see how that goes after i solder the new wires on. 6s you guys are crazy soon you will try 8s lol now that would be very crazy haha i know the motor for 8s fits and maybe the esc as well will fit if anyone is crazy enough to try.

RC Qualifier
    The vorza will outrun an emaxx without a doubt. You saw how it launched. An emaxx isn't touching it

RC Qualifier
    yeah we do some stupid things for fun but i had to shave the trans to get the 62 to mesh right

RC Qualifier
    yeah we do some stupid things for fun but i had to shave the trans to get the 62 to mesh right
    Yeah, like trying to backflip an XL flux with 4ft of air. No wonder I break so much stuff. Maybe I should go back to Kmart grade rc stuff

RC Qualifier
    or 30 feet of a quarter pipe at the skate park but i only do that with my slash4x4 for some reason it the only thing that lives lol