RC poster

Question Help a complete newb pick a motor for my son's new Slash 4x4

I'm building a 4x4 Slash for my soon to be 11yr old son. I'm starting with a Platinum roller with some upgrades (ebay) but need to pick a motor. He's just going to be bashing and running around the neighborhood some asphalt. I have some 2s batteries so plan on using those. I'm thinking SENSORED since he's new and it will smooth things out for him. He doesn't need extreme speed and in fact longer life would be more preferred I'm sure.

So I've been reading all over and keep getting confused. I was close to getting a Tenshock 411 in 3500Kv but figured I'd better get some confirmations on that decision. I got concerned reading that motor really sucks the batteries fast. Is there a comparable that doesn't eat through batteries quite as fast? I'm just confused about how the Kv and the battery size interact for speed and endurance. So many variables!

Thanks guys!!

RC Qualifier
    Can't go wrong with the Traxxas Velineon set up.. not to expensive, warranty, and it's quick..
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC poster
    I was initially looking at that but it's about $20 more for the combo than the others that seem to be an upgrade from the Velineon. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Are you gonna be using lipo's? Sensored setups are generally more expensive, but look for a 550 sized motor. They tend to handle the demands of the 4wd better that the 540 size motors. Castle has a sale on right now but hurry it ends soon. An mmp w/3800 on 2s will run great, and will cost around 150$. There are things you can do in the programming to make it a little milder for him. If he will just be playing and not racing, a sensored setup is not needed.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Being that you're running 2s, I'd stick with the VXL. It'll get toasty on 3s, but I don't think an 11yo should be let anywhere near that power. LOL

Also children seem to find puddles quite irresistible. The waterproof feature will be great for that.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC poster
    I was going to use these:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-65c-50...FcsWMgodGgIAfQ

Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    Also children seem to find puddles quite irresistible. The waterproof feature will be great for that.
    Do I need to worry about the motor being waterproof or just the ESC?

I do like the idea of a training mode on the VXL controller

So is vxl the way to go? What about the Tacon? They seem cheap and well liked.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-26-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Vxl is a must I would say! I have it in my 2wd slash and I'm fifteen and I love it! I run it through snow, mud, rain, tornados, hurricanes, typhoons, gravel, concrete, walls, houses, garages, dogs, up trees and it never gives me any problems so far!

RC Champion
    MMM/2650 os 2s is very very good combo. will never overheat............ 22/54 or 24/54 is plenty fast. I ran 3 of these set ups with my 11 and 16yr old. only draw back is its NOT Water Proof.

Tekin/2650 sensored would be the 2nd choice but more money

The stock ESC and motor have heat issues............. , the SCT/3800 combo will heat up, the MMp/2400 is a good combo but the MMM/2650 is better in my opinion.

You can save a buck using a MMM/china 2650 motor
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdrunner2305 View Post

Do I need to worry about the motor being waterproof or just the ESC?

I do like the idea of a training mode on the VXL controller

So is vxl the way to go? What about the Tacon? They seem cheap and well liked.
    Just the esc needs to be waterproof. All motors are water-safe under most circumstances.

The VXL esc seems to be best for you. You could pick up a tacon motor and run them together, but I think splitting up the combo would defeat the purpose of saving money with the tacon. I'd buy the full VXL system.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC poster
    Thanks everyone, this was all very helpful!

If you think your son will want to upgrade his lipos to 3s, do NOT buy the stock system! There are a lot of choices out there. If you bought a roller and not a rtr truck, do yourself a favor and get a better motor system! All Castle Creations systems come with a one YEAR warranty! The VXL has a one month warranty. If I were you, I'd go with a 3800 or 2400 motor system by Castle Creations.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the thing is that it's GOING to end up in water at some point and besides you can't really go wrong with the Vxl! I mean you can bag it and the buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it and have it good as new. And traxxas seems very understanding if you phone them about a part randomly failing under normal use!

Sent from my super super fast iPhone 4S in white!

RC Enthusiast
    Xerun 2250kv 150a 4168sd or 2200kv 4274sd. 6s only

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas customer service is second to none

The dynamite fuze 4wd sct system is imo among the top choices. A 2- 4s castle made waterproof esc and a castle 3900 kv 4 pole motor for$200 is a GREAT deal imo.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Qualifier
    Lol I think we're going to end up confusing the heck out of him!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by akesj1 View Post
    MMM/2650 os 2s is very very good combo. will never overheat............ 22/54 or 24/54 is plenty fast. I ran 3 of these set ups with my 11 and 16yr old. only draw back is its NOT Water Proof.

Tekin/2650 sensored would be the 2nd choice but more money

The stock ESC and motor have heat issues............. , the SCT/3800 combo will heat up, the MMp/2400 is a good combo but the MMM/2650 is better in my opinion.

You can save a buck using a MMM/china 2650 motor
    The MMM/2650 and Tekin/2650 are identical in pricing.

A little review and my take on things.

If you never plan on going more than 2s the Velineon system is a safe bet. On 3s they WILL fry, just a matter of time.

The castle 3800 is NOT a good choice for a 4x4, they are designed for the 2wd and are marginal at that. In a 4x4 its a constant battle of heat on 2s, 3s is out of the question.

A decent combo that he can grow into would be the MMP/2400. It can be run on 2s and geared conservatively to learn on then boosted up to 3s and geared more aggressively. Still not the most powerful alternative but by the time he outgrows it he will be ready for something different anyhow. You will need to install the motor fan and make sure you are not overgeared, watch the temps.

On the higher end the MMM/1512 2650 or Tekin/T8 2650 are screamers that will never leave you worried about heat and never leave you wanting more power. They too can be geared to run slower at first and can run all the way to 6s if you wish. You wont ever need another upgrade. Of the two I prefer the Tekin as its smooth as silk and the throttle curves actually work and there is no cogging. Ive run every Castle ESC/motor combo in this truck and none compared to the Tekin system which is what I run now and I am very happy with.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    With proper gearing and cooling, every vxl system does not fry on 3s. geez...
    A castle 3800 4pole is marginal????
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???