RC Enthusiast

Advice needed pls...

So since recently getting back into RC and completing a resto on a Lunchbox (what i always wanted as a kid)... i have started looking for my next purchase / project.

I reckon this might be for me

I've been working my way through most of the 2WD Slash related threads on the forum(s) seeing whats what and how to "tweek" these...

I've only ever run NiMH batteries so need some advice and help on making the move to Lipo... essentially, what will i need to buy. I've been looking at chargers etc, am i best getting something with balancing built in ? i'll only be running 2s on the standard XL-5 ESC and Titan 12T for the time being, assuming that will be ok ? Do Traxxas use their own type of connector from the ESC to the battery or are they a deans type ? Will i also need to install a low voltage cutoff ?

Sorry for all the questions, i have been trying to work this out on my own for a week or so and just when i think i am getting my head around it all, i read or see something else which makes me think i know nothing...lol

Thanks, Nige

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by n_d_fox View Post
    So since recently getting back into RC and completing a resto on a Lunchbox (what i always wanted as a kid)... i have started looking for my next purchase / project.

I reckon this might be for me

I've been working my way through most of the 2WD Slash related threads on the forum(s) seeing whats what and how to "tweek" these...

I've only ever run NiMH batteries so need some advice and help on making the move to Lipo... essentially, what will i need to buy. I've been looking at chargers etc, am i best getting something with balancing built in ? i'll only be running 2s on the standard XL-5 ESC and Titan 12T for the time being, assuming that will be ok ? Do Traxxas use their own type of connector from the ESC to the battery or are they a deans type ? Will i also need to install a low voltage cutoff ?

Sorry for all the questions, i have been trying to work this out on my own for a week or so and just when i think i am getting my head around it all, i read or see something else which makes me think i know nothing...lol

Thanks, Nige
    You should be fine on 2s with the stock brushed motor for a little while. I would expect the stock motor to burn up fairly quickly, its no rebuild able mod motor. I believe the current xl5 ESC have built in LVC. Yes, traxxas used traxxas plugs. I like them more then deans as they are larger and easier to grip and reusable. I always turn deans into little puddles of mush.

Most chargers these days have a built in balancer. I would make sure to get one with it built in. I'm a fan of the hobby parts ac6 and ac680 chargers as they are cheap and work. Other will say to skip them calling them battery cookers.

All you should need is a battery, charger and a set of plugs for the battery and charger if you stick with traxxas plugs. If you keep deans you'll new to probably put them on all 3.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    2s is plenty for a 2wd truck. 3s in a brushless truck is too much power but it is a lot of fun. For batteries i would recommend spc lipos, (a 5000 25c hardcase) they are cheap and are great quality packs, and they come with traxxas connectors on them. And i would recommend a duratrax onyx 235 charger. Thats what i run and i am very happy with the setup.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Yes, some of those ac6 and 680 type chargers are battery cookers and are dangerous. Not all of them, but after loosing 130$ worth of lipos, and nearly having a fire, I will never go back to them. Its just not worth gambling with the lives of my family, and my possessions. If you are going to use one of these cheap china clones(they are all clones of the original now and much less dependable), pick up a battery checker from hyperion. This way you can check to see if the balance circuit is doing its job. Better yet, pick up a hyperion charger. They are dependable, and have top of the line balance circuitsger is working.

Deerhurst, If you have a voltage tester, check your individual cell voltages periodically to see how accurate the charger is to avoid a catastrophe. My original ac6 worked fine for a while, and then the balancer went haywire and was way overcharging my packs... I used to post the same thing you just did, and I was lucky I did not have a fire. Never again

Also, with proper gearing, break in, and maintenance, most titans can be made to last a while. My first titan lasted a year of daily bashing. You have to be vigilant in caring for it(this is where a brushless system is much less of a pain in the butt).
    Last edited by rag6; 11-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

Deerhurst, If you have a voltage tester, check your individual cell voltages periodically to see how accurate the charger is to avoid a catastrophe. My original ac6 worked fine for a while, and then the balancer went haywire and was way overcharging my packs... I used to post the same thing you just did, and I was lucky I did not have a fire. Never again
    I have a lipo voltage checker and use it regularly. I'm always within .01v or less. Generally the same per cell. My ac6 must be from a good batch and its going on 2 years strong. Wish it could do more then 5amps since I'm running 5700mah packs now. Takes a little while to charge and balance.

RC Racer
    hate fords, but love the raptor boddies

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by deerhurst View Post
    I have a lipo voltage checker and use it regularly. I'm always within .01v or less. Generally the same per cell. My ac6 must be from a good batch and its going on 2 years strong. Wish it could do more then 5amps since I'm running 5700mah packs now. Takes a little while to charge and balance.
    Mine worked for over 2 years, and then it started overcharging. I really liked my cheapo. I still have it, and still use it to help fill the packs up (no balancing, just charge empty packs for 30 min) to help out the hyperion when charging all my packs in a hurry. I can charge 6 2s 5000 in about 2 hrs. I just wont use it to peak the packs.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the info guys and suggestions on kit.

Will be using your knowledge when i get my kit together in the next month or so.

Cheers, Nige