RC Racer

Cool Where do you mount your low voltage alarm??

So I have decided to get LiPo's for my Summit and have already ordered the LiPo charger. Probably order the batteries tomorrow, but was curious about the low voltage alarm. I assume you guys mount it somewhere under the body on the frame, where-ever there is room?? Does anyone have any pics and advice on these things? This is my first time running LiPo's and I just wanna be safe about it. Are they waterproof or do I have to do something special with it??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha-z View Post
    So I have decided to get LiPo's for my Summit and have already ordered the LiPo charger. Probably order the batteries tomorrow, but was curious about the low voltage alarm. I assume you guys mount it somewhere under the body on the frame, where-ever there is room?? Does anyone have any pics and advice on these things? This is my first time running LiPo's and I just wanna be safe about it. Are they waterproof or do I have to do something special with it??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris
    I run two just cuz there cheap and if I break one I have a spare or if one gets to wet and shorts out I have a second so I don't kill my batts. LVA's are not water proof. It's bassicly a speaker. Here is a pic of mine. I also bought 10 balance leads extensions so I can put them where I have them. They were like 5 bucks. It also makes it a bit easier to charge them. I just attached mine to the frame with velcro.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I run two just cuz there cheap and if I break one I have a spare or if one gets to wet and shorts out I have a second so I don't kill my batts. LVA's are not water proof. It's bassicly a speaker. Here is a pic of mine. I also bought 10 balance leads extensions so I can put them where I have them. They were like 5 bucks. It also makes it a bit easier to charge them. I just attached mine to the frame with velcro.

Thx for the pic Keila72. Are those Integy LVA's?? That's what I was looking at too. I don't plan on getting into deep water or mud, but I will be using it a lot in the snow.

RC Qualifier
    Nope there the 1-8 cell 3 dollar LVA off eBay. Lol

Mounting them here with DuoLock works very well.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Mounting them here with DuoLock works very well.
    I'm guessing if you put it there you don't need the extension cable?? Do you ever have any issues running in snow and are there any precautions I can take before hand??

Also, kind of a side question. I see a lot of people tape their batteries. What is the purpose of that?? I noticed that two of the batteries I got with mine had black tape around the ends, and when I removed it, it didn't appear it was there for any reason (or maybe it was)?? Is it just to protect the plastic casing when it moves around??

The tap extension is visible in the photo. I don't run in wet conditions. Although the electronics are waterproof, the bearings, screws, driveshaft parts, etc. are not.
    That particular case is taped because the pack ejected from a fast-moving ERBE and had a balance wire ripped off. I repaired it, but had to crack the case to do so.
    Otherwise, I only tape my packs (with colored tape) for easy identification. I have a few.

RC Racer
    Call me lazy... but why not just get the ESC with the low voltage disconnect built in?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMilk View Post
    Call me lazy... but why not just get the ESC with the low voltage disconnect built in?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    LOL! Well, here's the deal. I can either spend $80 on a new ESC with built in LVD, or I can buy a $3 LVA. I like convenience as much as the next guy, but it's a huge price difference!!!

It looks like lvd's have gone high tech since I used them. My old one doesn't have a digital display, just the alarm. I guess it was a lva.
    Last edited by O.G.; 11-26-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Using the LVA i mounted it inside the waterproof Rx box from the E-Maxx. The holes of the Rx box line up perfectly with the body mount posts. I siliconed the screw holes to help with the waterproofyness. Kinda looks OEM too

... and yes, you can still hear the alarm.. since they're sooo freaking loud!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-26-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    BL E-Revo|BL E-Maxx|Revo 3.3|Summit|KB Rally

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cto View Post
    Using the LVA i mounted it inside the waterproof Rx box from the E-Maxx. The holes of the Rx box line up perfectly with the body mount posts. I siliconed the screw holes to help with the waterproofyness. Kinda looks OEM too

Cool idea there! And still keeping it waterproof is a plus
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I had a fairly large LVA (dont remember which brand) with my first summit last year and Velcro'd it to the top of the RX box. nice and close to the lipo connector (which i fed through that rear vent after i cut the 'blades/fins' out), worked perfectly!!

I don't run in wet conditions...
    but if I did, my truck would look like this:

Traxxas Summit Extreme Traction Tire Chains
    Dusty Motors Shroud (Black)

RC Racer
    I have been reading a little about these covers. Are they a good idea if running in snow conditions?? I don't plan on running in deep water or mud. I have my quadzilla for that!

Looks like the one you have is like sled venting where it lets air through but not moisture????

EDIT: That's funny you linked to those chains because I already had them bookmarked on my E-bay account
    Last edited by Piranha-z; 11-26-2012 at 09:38 PM.

I have been reading a little about these covers. Are they a good idea if running in snow conditions?

Looks like the one you have is like sled venting where it lets air through but not moisture?
    Yes, it's a very good idea for snow conditions. The Dusty Motors (pictured) and the Outerwears covers are both very sheer and don't trap all that much heat nor let too much moisture in.

RC Racer
    Yes, it's a very good idea for snow conditions. The Dusty Motors (pictured) and the Outerwears covers are both very sheer and don't trap all that much heat nor let too much moisture in.
    More items to add to my list. Worst part is, not only do I have to buy one for my Summit, but I have to buy one for my son because I got him one for X-mas. I know he's gonna want to get it outside right after he opens it!!!!

I had a cheaper one (no longer available) on my ERBE and bashed in snow and slush once. When I opened up the cover, the chassis was still dry and dusty from the previous dirt run.

RC Racer
    I had a cheaper one (no longer available) on my ERBE and bashed in snow and slush once. When I opened up the cover, the chassis was still dry and dusty from the previous dirt run.
    Just went to buy a couple and they are out of stock

At least we don't have snow yet.

Just went to buy a couple and they are out of stock

At least we don't have snow yet.
    Also on eBay

RC Competitor
    My cheap, easy and lazy solution with a single zip-tie lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I mount mine exactly like KSB as well... didnt use velcro, just double sided tape. Worked great till I upgraded to an LVD ESC.

Heres a pic:

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I decided to put them here:

They are Duralocked on so I can remove them and replace easily if needed.

RC Qualifier
    I like that. Do you think the wires will interfere with the shocks? If not I may change mine.

RC Racer
    I like that. Do you think the wires will interfere with the shocks? If not I may change mine.
    Not sure yet. My LiPo's and extensions should arrive tomorrow. Then I can lay out the path for them. I think they will be OK though.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet. I like that spot. it looks clean. I cant wait to see the final pics

RC Racer
    Sweet. I like that spot. it looks clean. I cant wait to see the final pics
    Wish I could finish it this weekend but an early family X-mas will get in the way

It's funny what you can make with stuff that's just laying around the garage.

RC Qualifier
    I know. I love the things that people come up with. It's actually quite amazing.

RC Racer
    Where does everyone get the longer balance cords...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kspec4 View Post
    Where does everyone get the longer balance cords...
    I got mine on E-bay, but Amazon had them too.

RC Racer
    my lva's fit in the battery compartment with my 2s lipos.
    I play til something breaks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cto View Post

Can you make a DIY thread with this mod its very interesting. I really like the idea and setup location for LVA. How did you attach the RX box to the body posts?
    ^^Summit Kawasaki Edition and E-revo VXL^^

RC Qualifier
    I wanted to protect my LVAs from the snow and hopefully make them waterproof. Found a SDCard carrying case in a smoked clear plastic and the size of the cards happens to be almost identical to the size of the alarms. So with a bit of cutting and imagination I came up with this LVA 'pod'. I was surprised to find out that I could read the alarm displays through the plastic. No problems hearing them either. I now simply velcro it to the truck in one of a couple locations. If I mount inside the rear bumper mount it lets me read them without removing the body...it is a bit more exposed to the elements than mounting on the posts and they do get banged around a bit more so I prefer the post mount. I'm pretty happy with the result. I only need to seal the pod with siliconea little bit better.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Racer
    Nice job Captain

RC Racer
    thats a great idea mine are sticky taped to the inside of my roll cage
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!