RC Competitor

I Like the Docking Base but I Need more Channels!

Hi guys, its been a while since I've been here last but I need help.

So I'm still in my seemingly endless search for more channels without sacrificing the docking base but when I was browsing the summit section I saw this http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5097800 and now I'm pretty excited that it might be coming to a close. I came here to see what you guys think and discuss how to do it.

Here are the things I want to use it for:

-The basics
    -telemetry
    -Separate rear steering (proportional)
    -Two speed transmission
    -T Lock diffs
    -Winch
    -Possibly lights
    -I'm not that familiar with FPV but I'm interested
    -Anything else you guys recommend if it's within reason

I was thinking about putting my Ipod on top with a cord going into the transmitter but there isn't a lot of surface area up there so maybe the intended position is better. What I do know is that I want the rear steering wheel and the switches where they are in the pictures in the link above.

Thanks.

RC Champion
    here is the very ORIGINAL build thread from my radio build. The picts show the inside of my project box and the switch placement. Its based on using two receivers but receivers are small and the combined dual transmitters run off the same battery.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...LUMINUM-SUMMIT

If I were to do it again I would just cut the entire base off af a TQ radio, attach it to the base of the main radio, run wires into the main radio and just find space on the main radio to bore holes for the switches. My project box with the switches wires and the circuit board is a tight fit.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    I made a radio using the TQ and TQI, all build within a TQ radio case: Click Here

That unit effectively gave me 10 channels, more than enough to control lights, winches, steering etc...

You could get a 4-WheelSteering Computer from HeyOK (tiny unit, mounted on the car, controlled by a 3-way switch) and that way you don't need a separate steering wheel for the rear, you just steering normally and select which way you want the steering to work: NORMAL, 4WS, CRAB. It's actually very cool!

Check out my FPV build on the Summit forum, there are sooooo many posts though, I should have waited until after I built it and kept it to one page heh, but FPV is very ... VERY cool!

Get ready to start spending lots of cash though! Whatever you end up doing, remember... it's all for fun! =)

RC Competitor
    I just thought of this. Isn't there another proportionate channel (throttle on the second transmitter)? What could be done with it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Throttle and steering... and possibly even channel 3 with the right hardware.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Any ideas for channel three because that would answer this question: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rating-a-servo (practically the whole reason I started this thread but now I'm into the ERBE ).

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If I had a Traxxas radio to mod I would test it myself just to be sure... but I don't.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.