RC Enthusiast

Winter use & maintenance

A few questions- now that winter is here and New York is starting to get snow what do I have to do to protect and use my vxl in the snow? What types of oil for bearings etc??? Also I'm only using the stock Nimh batteries is it better to store them charged or dis charged? Any help I appreciated I'm still new to the RC world.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill6680 View Post
    A few questions- now that winter is here and New York is starting to get snow what do I have to do to protect and use my vxl in the snow? What types of oil for bearings etc??? Also I'm only using the stock Nimh batteries is it better to store them charged or dis charged? Any help I appreciated I'm still new to the RC world.
    Key is to remove all snow after running it dry off well (compressed air works well here). Bearings I would clean well and soak in some motor oil overnight (maybe do this before the snow really hit hard here) I would look into the outerwear shroud for it as well will help keep snow from getting packed in under the hood.
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Racer
    I agree with the shroud. But since the Traxxas stuff is supposed to be "waterproof" the only thing it will do is stop snow from packing on the chassis.
    Not too sure about compressed air, saw a thread on URC where they say to use a heat gun or blowdryer to get everything dry.
    But get some skis & paddle tires and go for it. I am waiting for the snow to fall here to do the same thing.

Good luck!

RC Competitor
    What snow tires do you guys run? The paddle style, one's with chains or what? An inexpensive set would be preferred but if i'ts only a few dollars more for the 'best' then...

Thanks!

RC Racer
    Ive been running in snow for 3 years with my slash 2wd with no problems. I take out the bearings and pack them with grease. I use shell rotella. I also go through and re paint all of the hardware with black paint so they dont rust. And thats all you really have to do. At the end of the winter i re grease the transmission. After every run i flip the truck upside down and let it air dry. That way water isnt forced anywhere.

For tires i run stock in front with sand paw paddles in back. Works great.

The nimhs will be fine in snow, and store them charged.

Make sure to gear down for snow. 18/90 works good

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks everyone I'm hoping to have some fun in snow with my slash!