RC poster

Summit Lights Dimming

so after putting a Mamba Monster on my truck with the RC-Lights 911 police light kit. when i turn the truck the lights built in to the truck dim (not the RC-Lights i installed) everything is stock other then the ESC and Motor. i also have a capacitor plugged in to my RX local hobby store say i needed it being i was running all the light but don't seem to do much of anything. I was wondering if i would have to get an external BEC or something to fix this lil issue

this is the capacitor i have on the truck

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Protector

RC Champion
    They only dim when you turn, not when you accelerate or anything? If so it just means that the BEC isn't quite strong enough to power everything it is. An external BEC will certainly take care of this, and you will notice better all around performance from your servos and anything else you have hooked up. That cap is only good for preventing brownouts from momentary high power surges, it doesn't provide "extra" power or anything the way an external BEC would. Check out the 10A Castle BEC, it's proven to be more than sufficient.

Also check your steering servos
    They have been known to cause that when one is gone or is having issues.
    Unplug them try one at a time to see if the issue continues.That will eliminate the servos if nothing else,plus doesn't cost anything to check

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    That's what I was thinking so I can just take the cap off and go with the BEC right? And this is a new truck only a week old. hate to think one of the servo could be bad. I know that don't matter but it could still be going bad. But I will try that as well.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    +1 Check your steering servos. It's a simple adjustment that costs nothing, and you might save yourself some grief/money

I lost my shifting servo a week after purchase. It too is easily adjusted and could have been saved.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC poster
    ok guys i have tried unplugging the servos and with none of them plugged in the lights didn't dim and with one plugged in still dimmed didn't matter what one i had plugged in im thinking its a power thing and that im going to need the external BEC im also going to be having a motor cooling fan on there so i really thing the BEC will be a good move what do you guys think

RC Qualifier
    When you tested your servos, did you also unhook the linkages? The strain of turing the wheels and an unplugged servo (thats just along for the ride) could cause similar issues, as you are really working the single servo.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC poster
    no i didn't but it still didn't do anything to my light only does it when both servos are hooked up

The Mamba Monster comes with the BEC set at 5.5V. The BEC in the EVX-2 puts out 6.0V. Have you checked to see if your Monster is one with an adjustable BEC?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I should elaborate, unhook the linkage of the unplugged servo.

If you decide the external BEC is the solution, the CC BEC is the cats pajamas. If you are running the stock evx2 be sure to wire it in to the factory BEC side....or else bad things can happen.

Edit: Just realized you are running a mamba, I need to learn to read...and remember what I read.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The Mamba Monster comes with the BEC set at 5.5V. The BEC in the EVX-2 puts out 6.0V. Have you checked to see if your Monster is one with an adjustable BEC?
    i dont have a Castle Link with me (im a truck driver) i think when i was home and was looking it had one but it only goes up to 6.0v right will .5v really make that much of a dif.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSpikesx18 View Post
    i dont have a Castle Link with me (im a truck driver) i think when i was home and was looking it had one but it only goes up to 6.0v right will .5v really make that much of a dif.
    Only if your components are made to run on 6.0V. LEDs have a pretty small voltage window. My MMPro goes up to 7.0V.

A couple inches only means a lot if the water is already up to your nose.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-26-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Only if your components are made to run on 6.0V. LEDs have a pretty small voltage window. My MMPro goes up to 7.0V.

A couple inches only means a lot if the water is already up to your nose.
    i just looked it up on castle site the mamba monster has a 5.5v fixed out put

RC Qualifier
    Just out of curiosity, could we have some picks of the summit with police lights? Never heard of that before and it sounds cool!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    Just out of curiosity, could we have some picks of the summit with police lights? Never heard of that before and it sounds cool!
    ya ill have them posted tomorrow but ill do a video for you

RC poster
    Here is the video of my RC-lights 911 police light kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oihautB8ln4
    Last edited by BlackSpikesx18; 11-26-2012 at 08:39 AM.