Pro line vs traxxax

Can any one tell me why,two slash's. Both 3500 velineon vxl-3s
    Both 21,pinion,86 spur,same tires,Tekno drive shafts
    One stock traxxax trans.
    One pro line race trans.

After 20 drag races,the stock traxxas smokes the pro line!
    after 10 races, started playing with the slippers. From full lock down,to over slipping.
    Still stock traxxas, smokes the pro line! In 150' feet,by about five truck lengths.
    Changed motors and esc. Same results!!

PLEASE HELP!!!
    Did I get a bad pro trans?
    Last edited by billy-bones; 11-25-2012 at 12:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe the truck with the proline trans has binding in one of the wheels.

RC Champion
    are both wheels balenced?

some wheels can be more balenced then others .affecting acceleration and top speed

maybe the pro trans is the problem
    but if tires arnt balenced im thinking the slash with the pro trans has the most/greater # of unbalenced tires

------------------------------------------------------
    couldent help to notice but when you changed the esc and motor did you change your battery's to?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Thanks for the suggestion,but tried both trans in both trucks,same results,the truck with the stock traxxas flat out wins,with out any trouble. Perhaps on a track it will be different?
    I hope so,right now I feel like I through $100.00 out the window.
    If any thing the pl seemed to track straighter, but than once the traxxas gets grip,it walks on past.

Yes change everything as exact as possible. both trucks were identical. guess Ill call pro line, must be a bad trans.
    Thank you for your advice.
    And don't forget,both tranys ran in both trucks. and 5400mah 35c Thunder Power battery's.

RC poster
    I'm curious if the proline is the same ratio as the traxxas. I've searched their site and can't find the ratio. They do however say the bandit requires pinion change.

RC Champion
    My direct experience with one of the first Proline Transmissions was interesting. It seems that if you even slightly began to tighten the side case screws you began to put this Proline trans into a bind. So maybe you could look into that aspect as one variable.
    Now, I had that trans in an Anza LCG chassis with a CC 4600kv motor and my grandson had his stock Velineon powered Slash and I swear it accelerated quicker to and this was noticed on dirt.

Other thought would be that full throttle end point of the ESC's could be different between trucks. Maybe do a complete Tx to ESC calibration and try again, maye you were missing some full throttle position??

tried it all
    Thanks, but the pro line trans,(in my opinion)is wasted money.
    the traxxas may be noise yr,but it blows the pro line away was a wast of money.
    I will never buy another pro line part again.
    Oh ya there great steering system,good luck,glue it ,like everyone else is or toss it.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    tried it all
    the traxxas may be noise yr,but it blows the pro line away was a wast of money.
    I will never buy another pro line part again.
    Oh ya there great steering system,good luck,glue it ,like everyone else is or toss it.
    I hear ya but for me I always want to know 'why' something does or doesn't do as it is supposed to do.
    The Proline is pretty straight forward and similar to the Traxxas inside. Your finding and comparisons are interesting and bewildering

yes i two am having a problem with two closely related mechanical devices performing so oddly.
    The differentials are the two least alike things in them,in fact they share the same idler gear.
    Above and before,I heard people say they had binding problem's when tightening the pl trans together.
    In fact one said when he first received his assembled ready to install pl trans,he took it apart to see what was inside.
    When disassembling it,he said the screws seemed lose,upon reassembly,he tightened them down,to a snugger point and said he noticed it didn't turn as freely as before. he called pro line. There response,it just needed to be run in.It failed within a month.
    Unlike traxxas,pro line's support team are not very knowledgeable of their products.
    The more I hear and learn,the more i feel pro line doesn't do enough research before releasing their products.
    Personally UM done.Pro-line rc parts, will not be found on any of my rc's again.

That about sums it up. The PL trans, IMO, is a failed attempt at a good idea.

The truck with the PL trans is most likely slower because of the poor quality and tolerances. Pretty much every review I've read claims that the trans binds when the case screws are even a little snug. PL's response of the trans needing to be broken-in is just plain absurd. What exactly needs to be broken-in? Everything rolls on ball bearings, which last time I checked, didn't require break-in. Well, maybe for a few minutes to get the grease worked-in, but that's about it. Gears don't require break-in either last time I checked. So what exactly are they saying needs a break-in? The trans cases? More like the trans needs time to wear out so that there's enough slop for everything to move freely.

I would really give them a lot more respect if they would just come out and say "Yeah, we messed up and this transmission is junk. Sorry." But instead they give you a run around and make up weak excuses that don't make the least bit of sense to anyone who has the slightest clue how a transmission works.

RC Qualifier
    WOW i just look at this on Saturday glad i didnt spend the 125 they wanted at my LHS guess i will buy a used traxxas trans and rebuild that

Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    WOW i just look at this on Saturday glad i didnt spend the 125 they wanted at my LHS guess i will buy a used traxxas trans and rebuild that

You're better off buying a new Traxxas trans than rebuilding one. You can get them for $40 or less on ebay, complete with spur, slipper. gear cover and sometimes even the bumper.

RC Champion
    yes i two am having a problem with two closely related mechanical devices performing so oddly.
    The differentials are the two least alike things in them,in fact they share the same idler gear.
    Above and before,I heard people say they had binding problem's when tightening the pl trans together.
    In fact one said when he first received his assembled ready to install pl trans,he took it apart to see what was inside.
    When disassembling it,he said the screws seemed lose,upon reassembly,he tightened them down,to a snugger point and said he noticed it didn't turn as freely as before. he called pro line. There response,it just needed to be run in.It failed within a month.
    Unlike traxxas,pro line's support team are not very knowledgeable of their products.
    The more I hear and learn,the more i feel pro line doesn't do enough research before releasing their products.
    Personally UM done.Pro-line rc parts, will not be found on any of my rc's again.
    Ha, it was I that took mine apart when I first got it, added additional lube and reassembled and noticed the bind. However I ran it pretty hard and off jumps and did not have a failure but then again I did not have it all that long before selling it.
    Harry as far as tolerances, I guess if it were loose it should be faster but if tight then not so. It is not a complex piece at all, I often wonder just how little or much finessing it needed to be good, the though of it being 'better' has eroded away in my mind. I think it had a good slipper system but obvious internal plastic gears did not make sense. As I used mine I was able to tighten the case screws more without a bind, not sure why but I am a pretty detailed and meticulous kind of guy and I know you are too and quite mechanically inclined.
    Billy, I understand your conclusion and good luck getting your monster Mustang back together That thing is wicked!
    Skye, I have seen the PL trans going for $89 new. That doesn'tmake it a bargain however.
    After owning one (PL trans) and realizing the lack of refinement and lack of gain, I see no reason in investing in one for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    As I used mine I was able to tighten the case screws more without a bind, not sure why but I am a pretty detailed and meticulous kind of guy and I know you are too and quite mechanically inclined.
    reason.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'm guessing that since the trans would bind when new, the bearings would be the only thing that would cause it to free-up after awhile. Problem is, it's not the bearings breaking-in, but wearing out. I can't guarantee it, but my money would be that there's a decent amount of side play in the bearings now from all the pressure put on them by the tight cases.

It's a real shame that the trans didn't work so well. I'm thinking of building myself an LCG Slash and that trans would be perfect if it actually performed like it was supposed to. The sealed diff, aluminum motor mount, and upgraded slipper are sweet. If only everything PL put around those three pieces was as good of quality, it would be the hands-down best choice.

I would take a gamble on it if it weren't for the binding issue. The idler can be replaced with a steel or aluminum Traxxas gear, so that's a non-issue in my mind. But I don't have a machine shop, so until someone invents a negative shim (I think I just made that up), the PL trans is out for me.

RC Champion
    There are a few other issues Harry that would also need to be addressed as I learned the longer I had it. I really don't want to bash it too bad but it would be nice if they (PL) actually learned and improved it for the better. It had other shortcomings that I would have expected to have been much more refined for a 'racing' transmission.

negative shims are magnetic likes that repel......................and I just made that up too

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The gears are machined, no need for them to "wear in". They should be fine unless proline actually molded them lol.^^^
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The gears are machined, no need for them to "wear in". They should be fine unless proline actually molded them lol.^^^
    The idler, drive and final ring gear are all plastic, only the spider gears internal on diff are metal

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    You can machine plastic 8). Thought I saw that designation in an add before... Maybe it was mentioned elsewhere, loosing my mind here. will try to find where I saw it.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

yes the ratio is the same,they share the same idler.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrevo View Post
    I'm curious if the proline is the same ratio as the traxxas. I've searched their site and can't find the ratio. They do however say the bandit requires pinion change.