RC Qualifier

Nimhs in series and chraging Nimhs

Hi, I am new to the forums, but not to the RC world. My question is should i get a 3s lipo for my velineon or just run my two power packs in series. i heard it gave the same performance but shorter run times If so what should i do. Also i got a cheap onyx 200 and it has rates of 1.5 3 and 5 my battery is 1.2 which is the traxxas power pack will it hurt it Alot. i am scared i am going to destroy the battery

Charging a lipo on a NiMH charger like that is not safe nor recommended. Get a traxxas ez peak plus charger lipo capable to charge your pack right. You need to balance charge your lipo and then you can charge your NiMH pack at 1amp recommended for the 1200nimh pack you have. The charger your talking about is too high of a charge rate for the traxxas NiMH pack and a no go for the lipo OK.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Also read your manual it should contain info on what batteries to use and how to use them in series or parallel.

RC Racer
    Do your homework before getting a Lipo, and make sure you have a balance charger when you do get one since that Onyx 200 is for Nimh/Nicd only. And what vehicle are you running?
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    Thanks you and i have no lipo just a power pack i was just wanted to know ,if i should get a 3s lipo or is the performance the same as a 3s with 2 Nimhs in series and i am running a stock 1/16 grave digger going brushless velineon soon soon i am getting ready
    Last edited by RC-nightmare; 11-25-2012 at 05:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I didnt get a lipo Yet i was just asking is the performance the same like a 3s with 2 nimhs in series i have ZERO LIPOS okay

its similar in performance but the lipo will last longer at the max speed and get you there faster. besides its less weight as well with lipo

RC Qualifier
    Thank you. i like a little weight tho so i wont be flying everywhere i probably will just stick to my stock power cell series 1 batter and venom 1600 mah Thanxs very much

no problem i have lipos and nimh 1600 like you do and both are good but my lipos last 5 times longer than my nimh's do even if i timed both nimh's. I get like 40-50mins with my lipo just 1 at that but thats being easy on the throttle though about 1/2=3/4. 100% throttle would be about 30mins only which is not bad compared i get about 15mins with my nimhs
    traxxas lipos i hear about about 30min runtimes which is nice and fit prefect in the merv's

RC Qualifier
    Oh well then i might just be getting some lipos then that seems satisfying to me cause the short run times is soo annoying and are you talking bouta a mini merv or a big one cause if your taking about the bigg one then i still gotta stick to my nimh cause the mah can only be so big cause the doors for my car are small i have a 1/16 grave digger and it isnt going to work with big batterys unless i make something custom hmmmmmhhh thats a good idea BRB

i was saying i have the 1/16 e revo so its near the same thing almost. I have the same nimh's as you do i still have my stock traxxas 1200 but its out i believe i tried trickle charging it at about .2amps and a no go at all.

read up on lipos first. traxxas makes some very good lipos and you know they fit because if you go to the product page and click on your model then batteries it will show you which lipos and nimh will fit your rc. nice feature you know.

RC Qualifier
    yea thanxs but traxxas batteries are so exspensive

The warranty is what raises the price but worth it to some.