Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Summit... Yes or No?

I am debating on if I should spend the $660 to $760 WHOPPING DOLLARS on a Traxxas Summit. I have looked at other brands of rc crawlers like Axial and Losi, but for some reason I keep drifting back to the Traxxas Summit. Looks like it would be a good truck for everything, and even though it is not a purpose built crawler, it looks like it would do pretty good! I have more than enough money saved, around $1000, but I want to save it for buying a Jeep when I am older. I could always get a job and earn the money back fast. What should I do??? Buy and have an awesome RC that can go anywhere with me and pull me on my longboard I might get for my bday, or save to buy a vehicle in 4 to 5 years when I am 18. Do you think I should get one, and if I did, would it be worth the loss of my savings?
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 11-25-2012 at 12:59 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I have lots of friends with true crawlers and true bashers. I go out with my summits and do everything they do and have a blast. They actually drive mine more then I do. You can find new summits in the upper 500 if you look around and I know the resale in Seattle and Portland is darn close to a new one depending on upgrades and condition.
    Something I love about the summits is the high and low range and electric front and rear lockers, massive tires and it will put any crawler to shame. Just wait till you let your crawler friends drive it. They will have a smile from one ear to the other.
    If you decide to go with a sumit just make sure the steering is set right as long as the slipper clutch.
    Best of luck.

RC Qualifier
    I'd go for it. Since it's still 4-5 years 'till you can get an 1:1 you have plenty of time to earn it back.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm, I would recommend the Summit only if you can earn back your car savings, as much as I like mine, a real car is much more important, end of the day Summit is a toy

RC Champion
    1) buy a used summit $350 -$400
    2) at 14 you still have a lot of years to save up for that wrangler
    3) don't get into the upgrade bug. Just Batt's and charger and keep your money in your savings
    4) if you run across an AM radio summit BUY IT. Most people are too snobbish to buy AM truck so the
    Prices are lower, am is fine
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    If I were to get a Summit, I would probably get the new one with the NiMH Batteries. The thing I don't like about used RC Trucks, is that the person you buy it from can tell you wrong, and it will sometimes cost a lot more to fix it than it was to buy it. When I sell stuff, the first thing I list is what needs fixed, other people list what the upgrades are. Well, If I want to buy the Summit, I have to convince my dad that it is a better purchase than a cheap crawler.

RC Qualifier
    do you have proper terrain for the summit? cuz if not, you'll likely get bored driving around on flat grass/pavement... if you have good areas to run the truck to its ability, then you'll never get bored!!

RC Qualifier
    I have grass and gravel. But... at my grandmas house that is down the road, I have a river with boulders and water, mud and sand. Other grandmas house, I have like a mountain sort of, with rocks, and a valley I can make paths up and down. My friends house, that has everything i just mentioned and then some.

RC Qualifier
    Then you got some great terrain to run on. The Summit loves to reach the summit of a mountain.
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    "... and if I did, would it be worth the loss of my savings?" You mean, worth the USE of your savings! No loss in buying a Summit. Only loss would be buying something else to learn you should have bought a Summit instead.

It IS your money, but the things you may learn through the experience of using a Summit, between mechanical and just chatting on this and other forums, are far greater than the cost of a Summit.

I had the same problem you had. I now have one on order, can't wait. Here is a thread I started, I think it might help.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tting-a-Summit...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Jacob,

Spend the money and get the Summit.

RCing is a good, clean, safe hobby and even if it keeps you broke for the next few years you have a goal with your Jeep to get you motivated to earn more money. Money is made to be saved and then spent and if you're spending it all on your "toys" then that will keep you out of trouble later on when you might be tempted to spend it on other less noble pursuits.

BTW, it is often a good idea to use an alias as your login on forums instead of telling the world your full name, assuming Jacob Chandler is your real name.
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

RC Qualifier
    It is not my real name... it is just the nickname I made for myself. Close to my real name though.

It is not my real name... it is just the nickname I made for myself. Close to my real name though.
    So, is your real name Chandler Jacob?

RC Qualifier
    No. Hahaha My name is Chandler, Jacob is my Middle, but I am going to keep my last name a secret. I found that on hobbytown they sell the Summit for $589. I think if I can, I will order it from there, because that will save me around $80. Have any of you used your summit to pull a skateboard or longboard?

I found that on hobbytown they sell the Summit for $589. I think if I can, I will order it from there, because that will save me around $80.
    Stomer Hobbies has the Summit for $540. It's $560 with shipping. Depending on what color you want, they have it in stock. But, if you want a green one, you'll have to back order one, but then you'd be behind me. That's where I ordered my Summit. Very friendly customer service.

RC Racer
    I was a little worried about buying used as well, but when I went and looked at it, you could tell it had been very well taken care. Not everyone rams their R/C's into a wall every day!

Another thing I can tell you just from searching over the past month before I bought mine, they hold their value!

BTW, I have had mine for only a week now and the smile on my face hasn't changed a bit the entire time. I actually just bought another one for my son for X-mas! Gonna be a great winter!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I looked online, can you not buy a summit with just a plain color body anymore, or could I get that after I bought the Summit online?

RC Champion
    no all new summits that come with the 2.4ghz radio also has the new paint scheme. There are a few old stock with the plain colors but they are rare. You can always sell the body and buy a clear body for $28 and paint it yourself.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    The Summit is an awesome truck but having the money to get a vehicle when you are 18 is VERY important... without transportation you will not be able to get a good job to feed an RC addiction properly You do have plenty of time to replenish your savings though... Keep an eye on craigslist and you may get lucky and find an awesome deal like I did! I got my Summit about a month ago for $200 on Craigslist... It has the 2.4 radio and is in excellent shape but I think I was very lucky to come across that deal because I usually see them for $350-450 used
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    Trust me you will have a blast. I've been doing this for the past 3 hours. Inside and outside.

The dog jumps in the wagon to go for a ride now.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDigger View Post
    The Summit is an awesome truck but having the money to get a vehicle when you are 18 is VERY important... without transportation you will not be able to get a good job to feed an RC addiction properly You do have plenty of time to replenish your savings though... Keep an eye on craigslist and you may get lucky and find an awesome deal like I did! I got my Summit about a month ago for $200 on Craigslist... It has the 2.4 radio and is in excellent shape but I think I was very lucky to come across that deal because I usually see them for $350-450 used
    When I can drive, my dad said he will give me his little tacoma. Just want a Jeep just cause.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    When I can drive, my dad said he will give me his little tacoma. Just want a Jeep just cause.
    Then there is nothing holding you back... Go for it! I bet you will even be able to find a good "Cyber Monday" sale tomorrow at one of the big online distributers like Amain or Tower!!
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    If you know you'll be able to replenish ur funds then I say get it.
    Your still young, you gotta enjoy life.
    It's rewarding when you save up and get what you wanted when saving over those months or years.
    Plus you'll have wheels to get you to ur future job and save even more
    Enjoy the time you have now. Whatever you choose, I'm sure that money will be well spent

RC Qualifier
    Well, when I ship out my Slash this week that I am in the process of selling, I will talk to my dad. I will be happy if I could find a discount, but if I can't, $540 is a good price when the store down the road sells it for $690.

RC Qualifier
    What do you guys think is the best color I could get on a Summit? Blue, Green, Blue, or Black?

RC Qualifier
    What do you guys think is the best color I could get on a Summit? Blue, Green, Blue, or Black?
    Oooooh boy you just opened up a can of worms now!!

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Last edited by happymachinist; 11-25-2012 at 11:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    Oooooh boy you just opened up a can of worms now!!

Lol. That's why I didn't reply on that one. To many ppl have different opinions.

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha, Just wanted to see what people would say. If I get a Summit in the next 3 weeks or something, I will post up some pictures of it. Right now however, I have to survive school. Hopefully I get the Summit, because after homework, I would make sure to have the beast charged up. :P

RC Racer
    Hahaha, Just wanted to see what people would say. If I get a Summit in the next 3 weeks or something, I will post up some pictures of it. Right now however, I have to survive school. Hopefully I get the Summit, because after homework, I would make sure to have the beast charged up. :P
    I really wanted a yellow one but I settled for red. I will eventually paint it myself anyway. It's really just preference. To me, it's what's under the body that counts

RC Qualifier
    I guess that is what makes Traxxas so good. The ability to customize the car, and to make the best better.

RC Competitor
    I've wanted a summit sense they came out but haven't had the money slowly saving now for one. i found A good deal on the kwasaki ones on ebay for around 500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Lipo's are the only upgrade you will need until soothing brakes.

Don't buy a used summit, buy new with 2x 2s lipo's and you wont be dissapointed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    LiPos are the way to go. It's the only upgrade the Summit need, everything else is just ''bling''.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    I dont need to spend the extra money for the lipo batteries to come with the truck. I can always use the stock batteries, I have 2 extra stock batteries, so I could have 4 NiMH batteries and then just find cheap Lipos on ebay. My charger I have isnt made for lipos though.

RC Qualifier
    When the Summit comes in Green, is it a dull green or a shin green?

RC Qualifier
    I would say mine was semi-gloss. Yours is newer than mine, I know the color schemes have changed but I would imagine the gloss level would be similar.

RC poster
    Save your money...buddy. Summit is too much for you. RC is expensive hobby.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Owl View Post
    RC is expensive hobby.
    You hit it there, but it's also a fun hobby. I just got back into this about two weeks ago. Two Summits later and some accessories, I'm already over $1300

But, compared to my sled addiction, that's nothing! Different strokes for different folks I guess. I can honestly say I haven't had this much fun with a toy since I was a kid. Can't wait to see the look on my sons face at X-mas when he gets his!

RC Qualifier
    Summit is to much for me!?!?!?!?!?! Just so you know, I have been doing RC for a fully year now, and I think it is NOT to much for me. I made enough in the last 2 years that I could buy more then 4 of them. And I am only 14!!! Just out of curiosity, why do you think that it is to much for me??? Yes, I know it costs a lot, and yes, RC can be an expensive hobby, but I save my money because I have to buy all of my own stuff. I would rather buy something I like a Summit, then waste a lot more money in the future.
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 11-27-2012 at 10:21 PM.