RC Qualifier

Lights and wiring. Grrr

Well. Has anyone had issues with breaking the the wires and LED leads on the front and rear bumpers? Well just about every time I go out I rip a wire out or break a LED lead so I end up fixing the light, fixing the wire, bypassing the light, or just by a whole new bumper. So this last time I went out I ended up some how ripping all the LED leads or wires out so I bought all new bumpers with the lights and wires.
    This time I liquid taped the back of the lights and some of the wires.
    Is there anything else that someone has done to prevent this problem from happening again?

Last edited by Keila72; 11-24-2012 at 10:15 PM.

RC Champion
    I'm stunned that you've managed to break them, let alone more than once! I've had no issues at all fortunately. Clean job with the liquid tape though, looks great! =)

RC Qualifier
    I haven't had any problems either.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Really? What kind of terrain do you guys run?

RC Qualifier
    Wow something must be getting serious to break them.
    Is this the first time you have liquid taped them? It will be really wow if you break them through the liquid tape.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Qualifier
    I run everywhere, mostly out in the forest though, were I crawl and such. I also bash, but not really often.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    Really? What kind of terrain do you guys run?
    Bash in the dirt, crawl in lots of rocky places where i live and otherwise crawl in rocky outcrops at the beach.
    Where do you run yours Keila? interested to know how these wires are breaking?

RC Qualifier
    The liquid tape looks good and should deff help. I haven't had any problems with mine either.

If you rip them out again I would say the only thing to better protect them would be to fab up some plastic guarding to attatch to the back side of the bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    I never mess with my the LED system, being out of the way of moving parts and protected from direct contact it should be one of the most reliable component of the Summit
    Last edited by maxi single; 11-25-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Same here, zero issues with my lights. They are well protected. I would suggest zip tying the wires onto the bumper support hoop. Also pre wired lights are cheaper than buying a new bumper. EBay $4 for a pack of 6 lights
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Re-solder them...
    I did and removed most of the wiring:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5271093
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I run dirt, rock, mud, water, forest,grassy terrain. Basically I run everything except sand and salt water. I'm not sure why there braking but I always figures a branch or a twig gets up there and rips them out.

RC Qualifier
    I usually have the wires zip tied or taped to the bumper mount. The only reason I buy the whole bumper assembly is in the long run there cheaper. It would be 10-15 bucks for the lights or it would be 20-25 bucks for the bumpers, mounts, lights and center harness. I like spare parts. Lol.

RC Qualifier
    Went to the skate park for the first time (and prob the last time) a couple weeks ago and this is what happened. Everything worked perfect when I got there and everything still works perfect except the lights.

I have yet to have any issues with the lights front rear or roof on my Summit. *knocks on wood
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Oops Dbl post
    Last edited by Keila72; 11-25-2012 at 01:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I've tried soldering mine but not like that. I wish I dint liquid tape mine now. Awesome and clean job jimmie
    And I have to say nice write up. I will be reading threw that a couple more times.

RC Champion
    I can't even imagine HOW that is happening!?! Those wires look like you physically ripped them out - you DO know you really shouldn't pick up the Summit by the wires right? Heh, sorry to see that happens to you man, but as I said I just can't imagine why of all things, THAT is happening... it would make more sense if it was your battery bay vents falling off..

RC Qualifier
    Haha. I still haven't had a issue with them.

RC Qualifier
    Another suggestion.
    Maybe the wires are catching on a moving part of the truck. By the looks of the photos where the wires rip is right near the lights so there really isn't anything moving there but its worth a look all the same.

Good luck in finding whats wrong an i am sorry it is happening to you as others and i have said it doesn't seema prob with us.
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 11-25-2012 at 03:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think their getting caught on a moving part. I keep the wires zip tied and taped to the bumper mount pretty well. It's not a big deal its all a part of the hobby.

RC Qualifier
    Never had this problem, but I baby my Summit!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    Nice Idea, I have replaced mine a couple times got tired of fixing them and left them broke... Might try this, but I beat the ever living crap out of my Summit. Have to say the only thing I have ever broken was Bumper mounts.
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_uscg View Post
    Nice Ide
    a, I have replaced mine a couple times got tired of fixing them and left them broke... Might try this, but I beat the ever living crap out of my Summit. Have to say the only thing I have ever broken was Bumper mounts.
    Hey. Check out jimmie's build in post 11. He did a sweet job. I will be doing it that way next time here is a couple of pics from his post. Awesome idea on eliminating so many wires and only making a two wire plug instead

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I keep the wires zip tied and taped to the bumper mount pretty well.
    Maybe that's the problem. If the wires are too tight fixed to the bumper mount that they have no felxibility / movement when your bumpers are flexing while absorbing some shocks (if you hit something with the bumpers, etc) and the wires break. Sorry, I don't know how to tell this (in English), hopefully you understand. Try with less zip ties and not too tight, so the wires can flex / move a bit with the movement of the bumbers.