RC poster

Not enoght Channels

i have a summit and im sure everyone knows how there is no available channels on this truck i moved what it does have around to give me a channel for my rc 911 police lights so i can turn them off and on but i was wanting to have a few other channels for other things down the line i have a 4pl futaba but not on my summit do to lack of channels is there anything out there that can give me more channels and maybe even control of these channel with out having to get a big box controller (not sure of then name of them) like air planes use any input would be grateful

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    First I modded up a few Traxxas radios to get what I wanted...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...y-2238-Project...

Then I bought a GT3B and modified it with OverkillRC's hack kit to get myself 8 channels.

Just to make sure, you do realize that you will need an Rx switch to turn on and off lights?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    yes i have all that already i have lights on all my trucks that can be turned off and on. so there really isnt any other way to do it with out modding controllers i seen your build and loved it but i dont really have the time for that being im a truck driver

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Without sacrificing something... there is no way to open up channels with the stock remote.

Unless Krall can step in with some magical electrical voodoo. lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    *drumroll*

I can't really say too much but HeyOK can certainly take care of you in my experience! Al - Mr.HeyOK - just developed a switch for me that can have INDIVIDUAL functions, all on one channel. He had mentioned that he can build it to have up to 10 functions! Last I heard he was working on making it fully functional, but I had asked, "no no no, waste no time sir and just give me a switch with five MOMENTARY functions" allowing me to TAP "zoom in" on my camera for instance. He had said he could make it LATCH (meaning hold on/off) based on a press, so that would allow you to turn on some lights, and anything else you would hook up!

You had better ask him about it though as he'll know best about whether or not he wants to do anything at all hahaha! I'll shoot'm an email with this thread link!

RC poster
    Thanks for the mention.
    krallopian has the prototype of a channel expander I have been working on. There is a video showing some of it working.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbdNL...1&feature=plcp

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Without sacrificing something... there is no way to open up channels with the stock remote.
    Not entirely true... with a simple addition of a splitter, you can link the functions of the tranny and lockers onto the 3 position switch with the following setup(below), and free up the the thumb switch for operation of lights. (the thumb switch can be a stock on/off switch, great for a single set of lights or general control of a "switch system" like mentioned above, or you can mod it for free, with a little elbow grease, to become a three position switch as well)

My setup for the three-position switch:
    Pos 1: hi-speed, all diffs unlocked
    Pos 2: lo-speed, all diffs unlocked
    Pos 3: lo-speed, all diffs locked

(Yes, you lose the worthless option of running in high-speed with diffs locked, along w/ the broken drive train parts that would result, and you cannot lock only one set of diffs, but just how many of us really lock just one diff? For maximum crawling action, you always lock both!)

So, yes, you *can* have another channel freed on the stock radio system, if you are willing to do the above.
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jolynsbass View Post
    Not entirely true... with a simple addition of a splitter, you can link the functions of the tranny and lockers onto the 3 position switch with the following setup(below), and free up the the thumb switch for operation of lights. (the thumb switch can be a stock on/off switch, great for a single set of lights or general control of a "switch system" like mentioned above, or you can mod it for free, with a little elbow grease, to become a three position switch as well)

My setup for the three-position switch:
    Pos 1: hi-speed, all diffs unlocked
    Pos 2: lo-speed, all diffs unlocked
    Pos 3: lo-speed, all diffs locked

(Yes, you lose the worthless option of running in high-speed with diffs locked, along w/ the broken drive train parts that would result, and you cannot lock only one set of diffs, but just how many of us really lock just one diff? For maximum crawling action, you always lock both!)

So, yes, you *can* have another channel freed on the stock radio system, if you are willing to do the above.
    i have already done this that is how i have my police light hooked up i was thinking if i wanted to put a winch on the truck i have a channel to do so

RC Champion
    What's wrong with the option I posted?

RC poster
    GT3B is the way to go -- with mod. It gives you 8 channels to play with. I have on on my Summit. You can set up winch (3 pos) or on/off SWs (2 pos). Love it.

RC Champion
    But for cheaper, you can get 10 extra "channels" on a normal remote, with no real need for electronics knowledge at all.. it could justbe a straight plug&play and suddenly you have the stock 4.5 channels plus 10 more.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    But for cheaper, you can get 10 extra "channels" on a normal remote, with no real need for electronics knowledge at all.. it could justbe a straight plug&play and suddenly you have the stock 4.5 channels plus 10 more.
    So how can I do this and how much would it be