RC Champion

One battery gets real hot

I have one of my batteries getting real hot and the other stays very cool... I running two 2s batteries and this just started happening.

The truck runs fine for about 2 minutes then slows down.... Gets full power again for about 20 seconds and again power loss.

I have this happen with two sets of batteries (4 ea). So before I start replacing connectors etc, any suggestions?

The voltage in all batteries read with in .04 volts and not fully discharged. Just the battery on the r/h side each time gets very hot!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The one that gets hot has a bad cell. I would buy a new one

RC Champion
    At first, that was my thought....But a second set of batteries did the same thing, the battery on the r/h side is the one getting hot....

I guess I could try third different set of batteries.... Each of the batteries in question work just fine in my Slashes.

As I said before, all cells in each battery were within .04 of a volt of each other.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Reprogram the esc, make sure the connectors are plugged in all the way, check for any desoldering on that side for the connector as well it might be getting loose and coming off. What lipos are you using as far as specs goes?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    If the same side gets hot no matter which battery is in it you have wiring/connector issues.
    Are you running them in series or parallel?

Just an FYI just because the battery reads balanced doesnt mean all is well with it either. A bad inter cell connection can work just fine while charging but break down and heat up under heavy load.

RC Champion
    I did check for any desoldering and connectors look fine.

I just ran another set of batteries and this time I got a nine minute run before the truck went into slow mode.

One battery was 130 degrees, L/H side this time, the other 102. Motor 135 degrees, connectors 103 and 101, and esc 104. I marked which battery got hot this time (I didn't on the other sets) I will recharge them and swap sides to see if the problem stays on the same side or moves to the other side.

The cooler battery read 44% charge left and the hotter one had 22% charge left.

When I reprogram the speed controller, is there anything I should be looking to change or just see if something has changed?
    This truck was originally a brushed unit and upgraded to a EZRUn kit. I bought it from a person on this forum and has not really had any issues until yesterday.

Two sets of batteries were Sky Lipo 40c 5000 mah and the other set was Gens Ace 40c @ 5300 mah.

The batteries are wired in series.
    Last edited by orca44; 11-24-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added content
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Do you have another motor to try then maybe an ESC maybe............??
    I don't think it is the batts it is something making the battts get hot, special if you are getting a one min run...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

seems like the esc is pulling some massive amps out of the lipos and unevenly. swap out the esc for a different one if you have it and check it out. might be something wrong with the esc maybe?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Do you have another motor to try then maybe an ESC maybe............??
    I don't think it is the batts it is something making the battts get hot, special if you are getting a one min run...
    I don't have another motor that big to try but I do have a Castle mamba pro ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    seems like the esc is pulling some massive amps out of the lipos and unevenly. swap out the esc for a different one if you have it and check it out. might be something wrong with the esc maybe?
    Thanks for the replies guys.. I will check the specs on the Mamba Max Pro ESC to see if it can handle the EZRun motor that is installed.

I'm going to run a set of batteries I used yesterday first, (the last set, which I marked the hot one), and put the one that was hot on the other side for testing/trouble shooting purposes.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

The MMP should work with your motor just check to see if the bullet connectors match up and fit. Ezrun is not as much as xerun like I have so the motor is not as powerful

RC Champion
    I have been testing with just three sets of batteries and the end results are that one battery in each set I've been testing with ( after marking the one that was getting hot) is the defective one.

The problem has switched from side to side as the batteries were swapped.

Now ... One gets hot and the other is not!!! Which is the bad one? The hot or not? And why?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

The Traxxas message board is not the place to discuss how to repair, setup, or otherwise service other manufacturer’s parts. It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to dedicate resources and provide that type of information and support for their customers. Here are examples of things that will get your post deleted...[or thread closed]

1. Posting specification questions or answers about a non-Traxxas part.
    2. Posting repair and troubleshooting tips for non-Traxxas parts.
    3. Posting where to find the lowest priced parts for non-Traxxas parts (other than a simple direction to check at your LHS).
    4. Attempting to get troubleshooting information for a non-Traxxas part.
    Your issue is not with Traxxas parts. You will have to contact the manufacturer about troubleshooting this problem.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =