Thread: What tires?

RC Racer

What tires?

My tires are now perfectly smooth, so it's time for a change. I use this car just for parking lot racing, so what would you use for slightly dusty blacktop pavement?

thanks,

DJ

RC Enthusiast
    I would suggest any 2.8 wheel and JConcepts G-Loc tires. They are made for the Stampede 4x4, but should work great for the Rally. I was going to put those on mine, but I opted for the 17mm adapters and 1/8 treaded tires.
    1/10 Rally, 1/16 BB Merv, 1/16 BB Rally

RC Racer
    I have the G-locs on my rustler, they are good but I am looking for something that doesn't balloon as much. I was going to get some 1/8 wheels with street tires, but thee hobby didn't have any 17mm adapters in stock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The Glocks wont fit under the body on a rally... very bad choice for this car.

The closest thing ive found so far in diameter is the HPI Maxxis Trepadors... they are nearly identical in size and are still an offroad style tire, but do perform well on road too.

You can also go with a set of 1/8 scale GT car tires like the Ofna Belted or something from Sweep Racing. They are nearly an exact match for the stockers but you need a 17mm adapter. Buggy tires will work but are a bit larger than stock.

So far, if you want to stick with the same STYLE of tire as the stock one, the Maxxis are the best option. If you want to go with a dedicated onroad tire, the 17mm GT style tires are probably your best option.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Pavmentsurfer,

Thanks, I think I would like to try the GT tires. Hopefully my local Hobby shop will hav ethe adapters in stock on Tuesday so I can try them out.
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Racer
    So the local Hobby shop had some 17mm hex adapters and some 1/8 scale gt tires. I am thinking the car grips a little better with the sidewall flex of the original tires, but I stil need to break them in. I am off to work, after my tests are done I will see how these tires grip.
    DJ

RC Racer
    I got these tires at the LHS but they lack traction on the blacktopped pavement. I will still burn them toe get my money out of them. I do have to take out some spring rate to use them on my street. There is "0" side wall flex which causes it to jump around a bit instead of bite.

DJ