Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Jato funny car SAND DRAG build!!!

Ok guys, I recently recieved the hardware needed to start my complete jato sand drag build. After my recent turkey lunch, I'm torn on weather to pull it out and begin build, or just take a nap. Lol.

The purpose of this build is as follows:

Take all pre exsisting traxxas jato parts and create a new toy with many different functions without selling out to the electric world. I own and occasionally enjoy the dc cars but truly enjoy the realistic approach of a NITRO POWERED funny car.

This build is somewhat different from slayer17's by retaining a full jato suspension front and rear along with retaining the stock track width of a jato.
    I feel these features will work better for me in pursuit of sand or mud drag racing. This build will use a stock 3.3 AND show the clean fit of my picco .28 big block.

Ok. Enough. I'm headed out into shop to get started.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    Here is a pic of the chassis guys.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Here is some pics of progress I made today. I'm building this car from ground up, not robing any parts from any of my other Jato's. I'll b using brand new parts for every piece. Although it would be very cost effective to utilize a rtr jato, I already have all new parts for this build. I'm OCD!!! Lol.

Completed entire front end setup

This pic shows how a stock front bumper was trimmed for clearance. Reason for this will be explained later.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Not back track but I forgot to post pic of complete hardware package.

Engine mount shown in bottom left will give me optional big block mounting. Yeahhhh!!

Bswift

Thought I'd be the first to say "AWSOME BUILD!!" Looks cool!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Thats 3 nitro funny cars that are being built or built. Keep em coming guys we need to keep nitro alive.
    LONG LIVE NITRO

RC Qualifier
    Looks good. Can't wait to see it finished. What engine are you going to put in it?
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    Looks good. Can't wait to see it finished. What engine are you going to put in it?

Thanks guys. I know it might sound crazy but, goin with a bone stock 3.3 with easy start and all first. Just excited about firing it up with the ol wand and playin. NEXT i will pull a picco .28 out my arsenal and bump start this baby for some REAL ACTION!! Lol.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    There's nothing wrong with the 3.3. If it's nitro it's good with me
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Update on today's progress.

This pic shows why stock front bumper was trimmed for funny car fuel cell while retaining front sway bar mount.

Pic of completed trans and rear assembly along with wheelie bar attached from included hardware.

Pic of included anti squat block installed. Prepares rear anti squat angle and rear toe for drag racing.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Couldn't sleep ver well last night from thinking about this conversion. Lol. Went ahead and went out to shop to work on it.

Completed entire top plate assembly, engine assembly, and configured ez start setup. This extended conversion requires a little different ez start harness per the added length of car and relocation of starter wand placement. This conversion is designed to allow user to start the car with the body in the flipped up position without totally removing it. Being a bump start guy
    With my other Jato's, I'm looking forward to using the ez start system for a change.

Good ol 3.3 with stock header and pipe.
    No offense to anyone, but it just seems so tiny at home in a jato when you have gotten use to seeing a big block in there!!

This pic shows the relocation of the steering servo

Plan on heading out tommorow to start the break in process of the new 3.3. I can't wait!!

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Can you please post some video of this thing running.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer17 View Post
    Can you please post some video of this thing running.
    Sure thing!!! But a few teaser pics first! Ha!

Went out to drag location today to do some breaking in. After a number of cool downs, preheats, and runs, I finally got a quart through her.

Here r some pics. I LOVE THIS THING!!

Went ahead and flipped pipe over before runnin it. Can't stand the mess of breaking one in.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    That thing looks awesome. This last pick it kind of reminds me of a Jet funny car

While i can absolutely appreciate the work that went/goes into a project like this, the drag racer in me just gets confused when i see this.

Great work bringing a new one to life though, lots of work goes into the custom stuff
    I'm working on something custom as well, but it isn't Traxxas so i cant talk about it here.
    But it certainly takes a ton of work to get these custom builds done
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Man it doesn't confuse me at all. You just need a little imagineation. What I see is a multie purpose veichile. You can bash this on the street you get tired of that put the sand tires on and drag race it or hill climb it get tired of that put paddle tires on and drag race in the mud, truck pulling. I wish I thought of that. HMMM this gives me a new idea for a new build
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    While i can absolutely appreciate the work that went/goes into a project like this, the drag racer in me just gets confused when i see this.

Great work bringing a new one to life though, lots of work goes into the custom stuff
    I'm working on something custom as well, but it isn't Traxxas so i cant talk about it here.
    But it certainly takes a ton of work to get these custom builds done

Its all good.
    I dunno, maybe im just seeing a flopper body and wanting to see the wheels tucked.
    Not disliking it, my brain just doesn't want to comprehend it

RC Qualifier
    Oh you mean like mine And mine is Traxxas 3.3 Nitro Power

Its all good.
    I dunno, maybe im just seeing a flopper body and wanting to see the wheels tucked.
    Not disliking it, my brain just doesn't want to comprehend it

yes exactly still waiting to see a video once everything calms down up there.

RC Qualifier
    Gonna vids loaded up tonight so everyone can see them.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!!!

Very few comprehend the work involved behind designing something like this. Although it appears simple n basic, there have been a number of obsticals to overcome prior to a complete working car. Takes a little more than a dremel and a hacksaw to blend this up. Lol.

Bswift

No doubt, i wish i had access to the metal working goodies to make my chassis. The custom work is gonna make or break my project.

RC Qualifier
    Cameron Clear out your PM box its full.
    No doubt, i wish i had access to the metal working goodies to make my chassis. The custom work is gonna make or break my project.

Cameron Clear out your PM box its full.
    Empty, wouldn't have known if nobody said anything

RC Qualifier
    I wish I lived in a better place for climent. I'm going to be upset when his video comes out before mine. It rained all day today. Good news. My girl freind couldn't stand to hear it any more about taking good video of these rc cars. She went out and bought me a realy good Sony HD Video camera. God Praise the Queen. Guys you know if the Queen isnt kept happy the Kingdom suffers
    Last edited by slayer17; 11-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    These are pics of maiden voyage of the ol boat. Enjoy.

Bswift

RC Racer
    wow this is definatly a sweet conversion of a jato. also bswift you think you could om me some pics of how you lock a jato tranny into 2nd gear cause im gonna go electric and i have no clue how to lock it. and do you know the part numbers for the hot racing metal tranny case if there is one and the steel gears from them?

also are the stock gears gonna handle brushless power.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jato_builder View Post
    wow this is definatly a sweet conversion of a jato. also bswift you think you could om me some pics of how you lock a jato tranny into 2nd gear cause im gonna go electric and i have no clue how to lock it. and do you know the part numbers for the hot racing metal tranny case if there is one and the steel gears from them?

also are the stock gears gonna handle brushless power.
    Thanx jato builder! Weather or not a stock trans gears will hold depends on a lot of different variables. Type/kv brushless motor, esc, voltage, and last but NOT least, what purpose will the truck be used for?? I've personally done or been envoled with about every version of converting Jato's to dc power plants. I've done high speed trucks,killer sand jumping trucks, extended sand dragging trucks, asphalt drag trucks, and all out bashers. I'd need to know the specific purpose and power combo before I'd recommend the best bang for ur buck tranny combo.

Will stock gears sets hold up???? Ummm, depends. I'll be glad to help. Gimme a pm on combo and we will go from thier.

Bswift

RC poster
    that thing is SICK!

Profane and offensive language is not allowed here.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-30-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Language removal

RC Qualifier
    what chassis plate is that from ?? that is an amazing build very cool!!

RC Champion
    that is so cool

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Been promising video, just been really busy with.... Life! Ha.

Here is very first vid of RLC conversion in action. I just couldn't wait for the Sandhills so I decided to run this baby on ol school asphalt. Bone stock 3.3 off eBay with ez start attached. Both vids are running 165ft at 3500 ft above sea level with around 3800-3900 density altitude this day.
    http://youtu.be/youFHmQJ420

And.... Number 2 vid

http://youtu.be/-i7lZ4THLj4

I have months of testing jato chassis's with all different configurations. I was a little reluctant to crossover to the conversion. Lol. Long story short, this sucker rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive never been able to get any drag jato, electric or nitro to track straight and repeat quite like this car. Last vid shows how well car really works. After 100 ft or so, I couldn't see the car at all, but I knew she was tracking straight. Notice how I walked away looking to find her as my buddy shined his flashlight down track so I could bring her back. Ha.

Being the first time out, I know there is ALOT left in her. Stayed tuned community, it's gonna get INTERESTING!!! LOL.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Here is my best pass of the day. Luck would have it, didn't catch it on video. OH MAN!!!

Bswift

RC Racer
    NICE!!!!!!....I cant wait to get mine.....sea level DA should get some great times!!!!.....my stock JATO runs 3.0@54mph in 132ft...

....looks like yours is leaving nice and straight!!!....my Jato looks like a lizard running on water going down the track on 2 wheels...lol..
    Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-09-2012 at 10:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanx! Yup, that's exactly what my jato did on regular basis before conversion. Your gonna love it!!! Get ready.

RC Qualifier
    That video looks like it's launching quicker and going straighter then the electric version. Man your so lucky that you live were you do. It's raining and misirble here, still no time to get any testing done or any video taken yet of mine yet. I hope mine runs that well and goes straight and quick. I think the electric funny car guys are going to have there hands full.

RC Racer
    That video looks like it's launching quicker and going straighter then the electric version. Man your so lucky that you live were you do. It's raining and misirble here, still no time to get any testing done or any video taken yet of mine yet. I hope mine runs that well and goes straight and quick. I think the electric funny car guys are going to have there hands full.
    whos got the popcorn?

RC Qualifier
    Weather permitting, I'm headed out this weekend to take another stab at 165' with the ol junny car. Lol. Now that the eBay 3.3 has a little time on her, maybe she can stretch her legs a little bit.

RC Qualifier
    Well.... Here I sit. Been loaded and ready since 7am this morn. Tried goin out this morning but just WAY TOO WINDY. It's just been getting progressively worse since. I'm chomping at the bit to make more passes on this funny car. It's way too much fun!!! I'll update if wind breaks(lol) and I make any passes.

Bswift

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckeithnitro View Post
    what chassis plate is that from ?? that is an amazing build very cool!!
    This is a complete conversion from RLC hobbies.

RC Racer
    any updates?.....have you made any 132ft runs?.....