RC Racer

Best and most recommended Tire De-glueing methods?

What are the best methods in removing the tire from rim?

I have tried to bake them before, but I must have had the temperature to high that it began melting the tire and caused it to fall apart when trying to remove from the rim

So any opinions would be great thanks

read of pep using boiling water or
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...2-Tire-Removal
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    boiling water has always worked for me

RC Champion
    Trash can works for me.
    IMO its not worth the time and effort to recover a used and abused wheels.
    Thats why I run nothing but beadlocks. Tires were out, change them...done.

RC Qualifier
    boy finally someone i agree with on this topic. i have tried as well the boiling/cooking/acetone methods. all NOT worth my time and the cheap rims (because the tires become pretty much unglueable after)

RC Qualifier
    I just baked my trenchers off of the rims in the oven at 380* for 16 minutes and it worked perfectly. First wrap each tire in tin foil, and place on cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 380* for 16 minutes and when they are done, take them outside to cool off for a little bit, and as soon as possible when they are cool enough, with just a little effort, they just fall right off. If you still have some dried up glue on the tire, just soak them in acetone for an hour and before you know it, you have yourself an almost new set of tires, just buy new rims or tires and your good to go.
    65 mph E-Revo on 6s
    70 mph Stampede on 3s

RC Qualifier
    Boil them baking will
    Make your house smell so bad yuck
    Slash rocks!!!

I would recommend using a grill to break the glue bond, I had to keep putting mine back on because the glue bonded so well.
    Also the tires were trashed when I got them off no way they were going to be reused, but those were the traxxas canyons that seem to rip way too easily.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    Beadlocks!
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC Champion
    I used the oven method. I wasn't trying to salvage the rims I wanted the tires off of the broken/cracked rims.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Trash can works for me.
    IMO its not worth the time and effort to recover a used and abused wheels.
    Thats why I run nothing but beadlocks. Tires were out, change them...done.
    lol. Exactly! I've boiled and baked. The boiling took forever. Maybe I need to get my boiling water to like 275 degrees haha.
    The baking worked well at removing the tires, but house stunk, tires got permanently soft (could be due to high heat - I did 350 deg for 15 min). I trashed tires afterwards. And they were taped, so that tape was yucky and my Racers Edge dual-stage foams melted.

However, I do want to give the heat-gun a try. According to the creator of the video, certain CA glues are harder to deactivate than others. So his heat gun did not work well with Great Planes medium CA glue (which makes me think its a darn good glue).

It still would not make me run beadlocks. I do keep thinking of a new method to mount tires, or a type of CA glue with different properties so that it could deactivate at a lower temp.

BL POWER will pull the beads out of beadlocks...

You can glue the tyre into the beadlock...read post #123...I haven't had a tyre pull out of the beadlock since.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I dont glue in the tires on beadlocks but I do use clear RTV silicone around the beads during assembly and allow 24 hours for curing before running them. Havent had one pull off the wheel yet. When the tires are done they are still easy to remove and a little silicone cleaner before installing new tires works great. Ive thrown some serious power at them and they dont let go.

good idea have not read of that......

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    I dont glue in the tires on beadlocks but I do use clear RTV silicone around the beads during assembly and allow 24 hours for curing before running them. Havent had one pull off the wheel yet. When the tires are done they are still easy to remove and a little silicone cleaner before installing new tires works great. Ive thrown some serious power at them and they dont let go.
    hey man way to use the thimking cap im going to have to use this one

RC Racer
    Thanks for the opinions everyone,
    I do want to keep my tire and rim as they are both in great condition, its just the tape inside has started to let go and I want to fix this.
    I may give the heatgun method a try and if that does not work, I might try baking them again.

RC Racer
    I've got a set of tires and the rim broke, tried boiling oven and heat gun. Last chance is acitone then garbage can. Not syre what kind of glue was used but its yellowish
    Who needs brakes!!!!

RC Racer
    I tried the heat gun method, but with a hair dryer, it did a small amount but not enough and also took a fair while to be able to unglue the tire.

So I wrapped the tires in Aluminium foil, put them in the oven at 200 degrees C for around 15minutes, took them out, let them cool for a little while and tried to see if they unglued and they did not. So i put them back in with the oven at 250 degrees C for 15 minutes, took them out and pulled the tire back off the rim and they came off the rim.

The tape and foam that was previously inside were destroyed and mangled:

Tape:

Foams:

Tires have now been re-taped, new foams and re-glued.

RC Qualifier
    The oven is the best I think

RC Qualifier
    Get a pair of bead locks
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    Get a pair of bead locks
    Im with ya there brother!
    The time and effort just inst worth it. Like our brother from down under the foams were destroyed which means buying a new set of foams, darn near half the cost of new wheels. If you had beadlocks and did them as I stated above with the silicone bead applied during installation it would be just a matter of unscrewing the beadlock screws, pulling the tires off, replacing the tape, cleaning off the silicone, then reassemling using the silicone again. I just picked up a set of Axial beadlocks with 40 series proline roadrage tires. I was almost tempted to skip the silicone. The groove that the tire bead sets in is so deep and completey covered by the bead rings that it looks like the bead would tear off the tire before the tires pulled out of the beadlock.

RC Qualifier
    depends on the glue you used, I did a few tires with foam safe CA glue on my Emaxx and I tried a few heat methods and could not get them off, I barely started them, I had the tires so hot the rims where getting real soft. I ended up finding some tire glue debonder on an online hobby store

RC Qualifier
    Are those foams from the Mashers the original molded ones? The Traxxas foams (3.8 and 2.8) survived baking. Chrome on Traxxas rims (3.8 and 2.8) was pretty much unaffected. I baked Proline Cheyenne wheels and the chrome cracked just slightly and lost a little luster - but still looked respectable.

RC Qualifier
    This vid is very handy when removing tires:
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    Watched the vid for giggles.
    Seemed every method he used had some glitches.
    My glitch would be I would find myself in divorce court if I even thought about using our $4k stainless range for RC car projects. Either that or the wifey would just plain shoot me. Jang is obviously single!

Thought it was a bit funny using acetone near open flames and also that he submerged his hands in it without gloves. Talk about pulling every ounce of oil out of your skin!

RC Qualifier
    Jang got a girlfriend, strangely.
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    Well its obvious hes not married and that girlfriend would change in a heartbeat if he got married. The kitchen is just something you dont mess with when it comes to keeping a woman happy. My wife is pretty easy going and wouldnt care if I bought another range and put it in the basement or garage but dont mess with the one in the kitchen unless you are cooking dinner on it! Then again the kitchen Jang was in and our kitchen are worlds apart. When we bought the place 5 years ago we dumped $30K on just the kitchen, all new stainless appliances, new all wood cabinets, new hardwood flooring, new granite counter tops etc. The only thing we didnt do ourselves was the granite. Thats a specialty to get it right. The guy came by and skipped measurements, he made a template out of the entire surface so its a perfect fit. That range Jang was using looks like a $50 yard sale special.

I guess you got the bigger horse then! My wife could care less about the stove or kitchen, she is not a cooker! She would care about the stench of baking rubber though, that is just not cool to anyone's nose.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC poster
    as i found out today, flip your non-revo truck that you dont value much get one wheel stuck on somthing and then let her rip... that de-glued my tyres pretty **** quick