Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 49
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37

    Just bought a new erevo b - some advice please

    Hi all,

    Just ordered a new erevo 5608l, this is my first attempt at a RC car, hopefully I made a good decision and will enjoy the car as the rest of you do once it arrives at my door steps.

    Together with my order I threw in the following parts after doing some reading:

    Dynamite Startup Tool Set for Traxxas Vehicles
    RPM Front Left Suspension Arms (2) (Black): Revo 2.5 & 3.3
    RPM Front Right Suspension Arms (2) (Black): Revo 2.5 & 3.3
    RPM True-Track Rear A-Arm Conversion Set (Black): Traxxas Revo

    My question would be which other components / lubricants are suggested to have on hand to keep the ride maintained (as long as nothing brakes ofcourse).

    Thanking in advance for all incomming answers.

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    You made the right choice! it's a great truck, are you running 4s lipos?

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    The version I bought comes with dual 3s lipos and dual traxxas chargers. Ones I get the set I'll decide if the chargers are sufficient for me or not.

    I thought of buying some 2s , but than figured I would start on training mode for a while on my learning curve.

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    I'd say buy some 2s batteries, 3s you will break lots of parts initially.

    Even on 2s you will be amazed with the power in your hands

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mike-susieq1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,855
    Yeah do get some 2s lipos and I would say a better charger as you are going to wait atleast 5-6 he's for the lipos to charge with the chargers it comes with.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    BNE
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdude4051 View Post
    I'd say buy some 2s batteries, 3s you will break lots of parts initially.

    Even on 2s you will be amazed with the power in your hands
    it is not the 3s batteries that break parts, it is people who don't know how to handle the power.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    Not sure if I can say what Charger to get, I already have like 4 infractions.....


    but, it's about $40 and you won't really need much more, besides maybe 2 of the chargers if you're that into it.
    from HP

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    it is not the 3s batteries that break parts, it is people who don't know how to handle the power.
    3s is def not great for the differentials on the ERBE

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mike-susieq1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,855
    a dynamite ultra charger has 8amps to charge with and works good runs on ac/dc or you can get their newer one that has 10amps i think its still ac powered.
    6s is alot of power for someone just getting into the hobby so it will be a good thing to get a pair of 2s lipos. even in training mode with 6s its alot of power and you have to watch your temps on the esc and motor carefully which with 4s you wont have to be so worried about that and besides its more fun with it too so you can control your first rc. if you have deep and i mean deep pockets full of cash then i guess 6s will be your things but these days no one has that really except for very few.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wales. Uk
    Posts
    741
    Agreed. I have been running nitros for years and the erbe even on 4s is crazy fast, ditch the fitted spur gear though and fit the enclosed 54t. Much better top end.

    Correct adjustment of the slipper is also vital to make sure your shafts last longer than one run, when you can get summit shafts.



    5s is the sweet spot though, fast and breaks less than 6s.

    You made a great choice of truck.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by acidburn123 View Post
    I thought of buying some 2s , but than figured I would start on training mode for a while on my learning curve.
    If you bought the Mamba Monster Erevo, the ESC doesnt have "Training Mode" I think you will need a Castle Link to turn down Punch. Someone please chime in if I am wrong.
    Last edited by woog421; 11-22-2012 at 05:24 PM.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    If you bought the Mamba Monster Erevo, the ESC doesnt have "Training Mode" I think you will need a Castle Link to turn down Punch. Someone please chime in if I am wrong.
    Per traxxas info the link app should be able to provide training mode, and even the capability to tune in the max speed. Hope the info regarding this is correct.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by acidburn123 View Post
    Per traxxas info the link app should be able to provide training mode, and even the capability to tune in the max speed. Hope the info regarding this is correct.
    I believe there is a way, it involves counting beeps from the ESC and such, a castle link isn't a bad upgrade though!

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    32
    excellent choice in picking the revo brushless i have had one for a while now, i love it, its very durable if you dont beat it too hard, ive just broke 2 axle shafts but it took a while to even break them. i have mine geared 58/21 its very fast on just 4s which i mainly run it on. on 6s its so fast i cant full throttle it without it fliping over mamba monster is awsome! so much power but very fun bashing off road and run time is long i get 40 minutes average on 7600mah 2s lipos from traxxas. with the traxxas 3s 5000mah i average 25-30min. im sure you love the revo it looks big, low maintence but fun over all.
    Last edited by FUSION12; 11-22-2012 at 07:22 PM.

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,947
    no training option on the MMM

    welcome to some denewboobafacation............

    AOD's Links Revo

    Erevo 101:
    EREVO FAQ

    Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

    Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE


    Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS


    And direct from CastleCreations ( the esc manufacturers ):
    MMM FAQ

    Driver's ED Manual

    LED warning light meanings
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    9,244
    For batteries I would /do run these http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=112 and when looking for a better charger check out the icharger and you will need a CASTLE link defiantly!
    Once you have some run time and do a few more upgrades try out the 3 cell

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rjm2519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    3,062
    If you use catle link can't you limit power in the settings? I think the hobbywing esc allows limiting to 50 percent power.

    Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    Look up on youtube a walkthrough for the castle link.... I'm sure it will mention if you can or not

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions and warm welcomes. .

    I just emailed the shop to add me the usb dongle into the package ...

    Anything else I would still need perhaps ? ... oil , sealants , glues ???? ...

    or any emergency spare parts always good to have around ? ... unfortuantly RC is not really big in my country and the shops are limited with other brands and prices are almost twice as much than from ebay.

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rjm2519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    3,062
    I would just run it and see what you break, I haven't had any parts, other than axles and electronics give me problems. My truck was used though not new. There isn't anything you would need on a daily basis, as far as lubricants/sealants that you cant get from a regular hardware store. You may find you want some different shock oil, but again you would do that after running for a while to see what works for you.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    9,244
    With castle link you can set power , punch and throttle curve % it is better than training mode!

    You can pm me I use castle link on my neu 1112 ill revo and 9000kv bb ill revo and big revo. Could do without it!
    Last edited by 50togo; 11-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    I'd say order an extra differential and some spare driveshafts, i break these all the time

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    480
    But order Summit Driveshafts because they are stronger.

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. 87 GN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    7,947
    If you are in that kind of pinch to get parts, get a set of A Arms
    stockers or RPM
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    9,244
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    With castle link you can set power , punch and throttle curve % it is better than training mode!

    You can pm me I use castle link on my neu 1112 ill revo and 9000kv bb ill revo and big revo. Could do without it!
    Spell check!
    Couldn't do without it!

  26. #26
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    Finally got my revo today!!! looks nice, popped in the lipo batteries into the supplied chargers , think they will take at least 5 hours or so to get charged since the amperage output is pretty low. They'll serve as backup chargers in the future Still trying to decide which stronger charger to get.

    The body shell looks a bit flimsy, what do you guys do to reinforce the shell , reed a lot about using drywall tape and gooshoe (don't think we have that in my country) is that the most common route or other methods also recommended ? .

    BTW any one got a walk trough how to replace the A arms with RPM arms ?

  27. #27
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rc Room
    Posts
    1,482
    Step #1. Break an a arm....

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    937
    the castle link really come in handy and the new beta software(1.38) from castle will help with 6s launches and well all parts for that matter hope you have fun with it

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,259
    +1 to the Summit drive shafts...they last longer than the stocks. Definitely get a castle link if you going to run 2/3s...set punch and throttle curve right and you will find it takes the edge off but leaves you with monster power...I only run 2/3s in my eRevo.
    Rock n Rolla !

  30. #30
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    20
    Somebody may have already said but, Can't you just run a single 3 cell lipo at a time? that would decrease power.

  31. #31
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Step #1. Break an a arm....
    Well I bought the RPM ones so I wont be

    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    the castle link really come in handy and the new beta software(1.38) from castle will help with 6s launches and well all parts for that matter hope you have fun with it
    Only link on their website for the software I found is for V3.52.10 ... are you reffering to the mamba firmware?


    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    +1 to the Summit drive shafts...they last longer than the stocks. Definitely get a castle link if you going to run 2/3s...set punch and throttle curve right and you will find it takes the edge off but leaves you with monster power...I only run 2/3s in my eRevo.
    I'll take later on the revo for a test spin in my drive yard on the stock setttings to see what I need to tame down/tweak to make me comfortable riding it.

    Quote Originally Posted by dociledragons View Post
    Somebody may have already said but, Can't you just run a single 3 cell lipo at a time? that would decrease power.
    Yes its possible by looping the cables while only one battery is installed.

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    937
    nah when you go in to tune it there are alot of different software updates to choose from the latest has a sort of launch control to it some people like it some dont

  33. #33
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    well took the revo for a spin and disconnected it after 1 minute of driving ... to fast for me I barely understand the remote control as of yet... .... plugged in the castle link and put 50% forward power on , seems to be more controllable for me for now.

    Rain started have to wait now for a another test drive ...

    Any way getting the car to turn sharper than what it is out of the box?

  34. #34
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    67
    Either learn the corners with better throttle control, and/or there should have been a max travel steering stop included in the box. As mentioned on page 25 of the new manual http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...R00-121112.pdf you can simply remove the front bash/skid plates (5 screws) to expose the steering rack and a-arm pins, push the a-arm pins forward, undo the travel stop and replace. Push the pins back up, place the front bash plate back on and the same with the skid plate. Also, if it hums while sitting still - the alignment may be slightly out - you can take this time to fix it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrAv...65943053901DA1) - you can do it with everything in place, but may as well do it while you're getting to know your truck personally ;o)

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,259
    I'm running my punch @ 50%, brake @ 35%, reverse @ 35% and torque control at 8.2. I'm also running 21/54 gearing at the moment...temps where I live have been in the high 30deg C this week...and today was a lovely 40degC with 80% humidity.

    You may also want to set your throttle and brake curve to exponential. Have a look at post #145...it will give you an idea on setting the curve...mine is set with a nice gradual curve and steep towards the end because of the gearing I am running.
    Rock n Rolla !

  36. #36
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
    Either learn the corners with better throttle control, and/or there should have been a max travel steering stop included in the box. As mentioned on page 25 of the new manual http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...R00-121112.pdf you can simply remove the front bash/skid plates (5 screws) to expose the steering rack and a-arm pins, push the a-arm pins forward, undo the travel stop and replace. Push the pins back up, place the front bash plate back on and the same with the skid plate. Also, if it hums while sitting still - the alignment may be slightly out - you can take this time to fix it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrAv...65943053901DA1) - you can do it with everything in place, but may as well do it while you're getting to know your truck personally ;o)
    Deisel thanks for providing the links, the only manual I received with my e-revo was a quick start-up guide very disappointed with the fact that I buy such a expensive RC car and they did not bother putting inside the full instructions with it but instead provided me with a product catalog. I have installed the max steering stop, was a quicker install than I imagined it will be thanks for the instruction write down you gave it was a breeze. since my servos were buzzing/humming from the beginning at neutral I also followed the instructions of the video. One thing I did notice (before I did any mods) is that the right servo hits the plastic servo guard slightly in its max steering positions and it seems that its off by 2-3 degrees than the left servo a bit clueless as of now how this can be tuned so it wont hit the plastic guard tried modifying the servo arm position but that did not help.



    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I'm running my punch @ 50%, brake @ 35%, reverse @ 35% and torque control at 8.2. I'm also running 21/54 gearing at the moment...temps where I live have been in the high 30deg C this week...and today was a lovely 40degC with 80% humidity.

    You may also want to set your throttle and brake curve to exponential. Have a look at post #145...it will give you an idea on setting the curve...mine is set with a nice gradual curve and steep towards the end because of the gearing I am running.
    Still learning to control the car it would be to soon for me trying different gears for now (and to be honest I still don't understand what the gearing really does, for now I just limited the cars power to 50% ... one thing which really does annoy me with the castle link that I need to open the receiver box each time to use it, any idea how I can modify the transmitter cable so I can plug in the link externally or perhaps even leave it inside the car?

  37. #37
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    9,244
    On the receiver use either an extension(which isn't as clean)or a y connector run.one lead out for the castle link. Eagle tree has them http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Accessories/4.htm
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-06-2012 at 10:44 AM.

  38. #38
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    On the receiver use either an extension(which isn't as clean)or a y connector run.one lead out for the castle link. Eagle tree has them http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Accessories/4.htm
    Thanks for the link , was not able to find a part number for this , and the local dealer has no clue what I am asking for
    I'll guess I'll hunt down a extension cable and will solder it inline of the current one, question if it would be possible leaving the usb link connected at all time ?

    Meanwhile I noticed that some glue came off from my stock tires, applied some super glue to hold them up....

    Still have the problem that one of servo is hitting the rubber guard which really annoys me , its not preventing me to drive the truck but knowing the problem exists drives me crazy.

  39. #39
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    9,244
    If you run an extension you wont need to solder it. It plugs into the receiver -comes out of the box and. And plugs into the esc plug disconnect it and plug the castle link when you need it

    Do you have a dermal do a little grinding
    Yes as long as its clean super glue will hold up fine

  40. #40
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    27
    I just bought this beast 5 days ago and I have to say this is no amateur toy.
    Don't get me wrong I love it but on top of the $900 I spent to get it, I spent another $500 on 2 3S Lipos, broken upper and
    lower suspension arms, Robinson Racing Steel Spur Gear Slipper Pad and Backplate, charger and spare parts.

    I love the tuning part and every day I learn more and more. Any advice on the upgrades I should invest on to keep my truck
    rolling on 6S?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •