RC poster

E-Revo question. Completely new to RC

Hello,

About to leave for another deployment to Afghanistan and before I leave I decided to get my son a brushless Stampede for Xmas. Well I was debating on getting a revo myself so we can race together and maybe get a track together before I leave. I really like that revo but I have never used one.

I do understand the difference between brushed and brushless and have been doing research on whether it would be nitro or battery at this point. However I do have concerns and questions.

How reliable are these things?
    Can they easily be fixed? Meaning could the wife fix it while I am away if something happened.
    Where can you get parts?
    How do you know what parts they are?
    What parts are worth upgrading or modding? (Seems to be a big deal)

Definitely looks like something that will satisfy a older guy like myself.
    Thank you all in advance

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Travisr0 View Post
    Hello,

About to leave for another deployment to Afghanistan and before I leave I decided to get my son a brushless Stampede for Xmas. Well I was debating on getting a revo myself so we can race together and maybe get a track together before I leave. I really like that revo but I have never used one.

I do understand the difference between brushed and brushless and have been doing research on whether it would be nitro or battery at this point. However I do have concerns and questions.

How reliable are these things?
    Can they easily be fixed? Meaning could the wife fix it while I am away if something happened.
    Where can you get parts?
    How do you know what parts they are?
    What parts are worth upgrading or modding? (Seems to be a big deal)

Definitely looks like something that will satisfy a older guy like myself.
    Thank you all in advance
    Electric is much more reliable then nitro, as long as your battery is charged and no magic smoke has left any of the electronics there is no reason it won't work.

As long as your mechanically inclined its pretty easy to work on. Take a look on the traxxas product page for a few exploded views. Its big and looks like its got a lot of parts but for the mist parts the parts only fit one place.

Any hobby shop that sells traxxas, on line and local, should have or be able to get parts for it. I've never been to a hobby shop that can't get traxxas parts.

If you go into a shop that carrys traxxas parts and say " I need a right front arm for an e revo" they should be able to just turn around, grab the part and hand it to you. You can also look at the exploded views and get part numbers.

IMHO, upgrade what breaks. Batterys might be a good out of the box upgrade though. Rpm makes good arms but from experience is skip rpm bearing carriers, especially in the front. Summit shafts when you start breaking revo drive shafts. Get a castle link for the MMM ESC, it allows you to tune the ESC from your computer. Get a set of suspension pushrods and make a chassis brace and you shouldn't break a chassis.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Go electric!
    Nothing against the nitros but Im usually done burning up a set of packs while they are still tuning. Much more maintenance on the Nitros before and after running each and every time.

Reliable is all about how you drive it. If you are conservative and leave it stock you wont have much worries. However if you are like the rest of us once you get it in your hands and you will be running it all out and looking for more speed. Things break when you hit the curb at 50mph.

Repairs are easy. You will need a decent set of tools. Whether or not the wife can fix it is all dependant on the wife. It does take some mechanical ability but its not intricate.

Exploded views of the car are in the manual and readily available on the traxxas support page, click the tab at the top of the page.
    The parts are very easy to come by, most of the time if you just google in the part number you have 100 pages and local hobby shops carry a pretty good supply of commonly used items.

As for upgrading and modding just have a look in the forum. Sit back, relax and read. If you tried to read every upgrade thread without getting up Im afraid you would be dancing in your pants and have a beard to the floor before you finished the first 10%.

You are not alone in the age dept. You would be suprised how many "Older People" are on here. I was riding ships in the USN well before most here were born and some of the "older" group were still soiling diapers.

RC Competitor
    I would get a slash 4x4. Cheap, fast, durable, and easy to fix
    Xo-1, rusty vxl, slash brushless i love traxxas

How old is the youngster...??
    Keep in mind you should get some lipos, stick with 2/2s. 14.8v... Then you will need a charge able to charge lipos.
    The batts will need to be stored at 3.85v per cell. Full charge is 4.20v & set the LVC to 3.4v with Castle Link...

This truck is truely awsome, but there is alot to it, maintenance & possible broken parts (Ebay for spare parts). With you going to be gone for a bit. Might look at the Brushed Revo & still run the NiMH batts. Little slower but still some good speed. Less speed fewer broken parts. Brushed is also water resistent...Brushless is not.... My BL Revo with 21/54 gearing & 2/2s batts I have a radar speed at 54.1 mph. Speed still climbing was it not for about to hit the mailbox post by about a one or two feet......
    When you get back then you could look at getting a Brushless system & all the goodies & upgrade.....

Show the wife how to get on the forum & somebody will try to get her help. I have to say some not all LHS are less than steller when it comes to work'n on these trucks..

Have a buddy who is a Marine, take care..
    Happy Holidays
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    How old is the youngster...??
    Keep in mind you should get some lipos, stick with 2/2s. 14.8v... Then you will need a charge able to charge lipos.
    The batts will need to be stored at 3.85v per cell. Full charge is 4.20v & set the LVC to 3.4v with Castle Link...

This truck is truely awsome, but there is alot to it, maintenance & possible broken parts (Ebay for spare parts). With you going to be gone for a bit. Might look at the Brushed Revo & still run the NiMH batts. Little slower but still some good speed. Less speed fewer broken parts. Brushed is also water resistent...Brushless is not.... My BL Revo with 21/54 gearing & 2/2s batts I have a radar speed at 54.1 mph. Speed still climbing was it not for about to hit the mailbox post by about a one or two feet......
    When you get back then you could look at getting a Brushless system & all the goodies & upgrade.....

Show the wife how to get on the forum & somebody will try to get her help. I have to say some not all LHS are less than steller when it comes to work'n on these trucks..

Have a buddy who is a Marine, take care..
    Happy Holidays
    54.1? with what tires and major ballooning

Not taped GT2 TIRES radio set to 70/30
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-FLUX-...item564fbdf782
    Would you go flip my truck back over??