RC poster

Talking One piece at a time.

Hi guys I'm new to the Traxxas forum. I'm doing a little build and I wanted to get some opinions from everyone. I'm building a Revo from scratch, just for the fun of it. I've got a tmaxx that i've had for several years. I wanna build this revo for all around use. I want it wicked fast, great handling and tough. So far i have the chassis, full hardware kit, fuel tank, and optidrive transmission. I'm planning on using the locking Summit differentials for a true all terrain experience. I'm thinking about using everything that rpm makes for the revo cause of the weight to toughness ratio. I need input on engine choices (small block), radio, servo, battery packs, shock setups, wheels, tires, and anything else you guys can think of. Thanks for your help.

RC poster
    Get a center diff if you want really good handling. Get summit wheels. your going to want a engine that can pull all that beefed up stuff.. I'd recommend a Picco .26, Those engines are soooo powerfull!

RC Qualifier
    Well the summit diffs might not be able to take the power of a nitro engine, I'm building a performance 3.3 and it should put out some good power. Do the traxxas battery pack, oh the os .21 tm is a good engine, also masher tires are good, get a high flow air filter, steel drivelines, if you want to you can look at my Tmaxx bashing edition thread because I'm dong the same thing but with a Tmaxx ( I have too many Revos )
    Lol
    Ill think of more things

RC poster
    thanks for the input guys, masher tires are a big possibility. os 21 is definitely a possibility. i'll have to check out the picco, i don't know a whole lot about those engines. death what exactly do you mean a center diff?

RC Qualifier
    Oh for a diff you could also look at FLM stuff

RC Racer
    The O.S 21tm bolts onto the standard engine mount, the Picco needs a different mount. They both can use the easy start system. You can get locked diff centers for the Revo so won't need to use Summit locking diffs. Use the Traxxas Revo GTR shocks, there pretty good & get 1/2 inch offset wheels to make it a little wider for better stability. The center diff (CD) lets power be transferred to the front & back wheels independently, you need the rear brake kit when using the center diff & its better for handling, there is also a forward only conversion (FOC) which comes with the CD but doesnt have to be used with it, it works like the standard trans but no reverse (same as CD), same power goes to front & back wheels with FOC. They both remove some of the rotating mass of the trans so will help with acceleration a little. Don't worry about the opti-drive, its only for making sure the trans won't change from forward to reverse & vise versa when the truck is moving to fast, you won't have reverse if using CD/FOC. Use 1 steering servo, some people like the savox SC 1256TG, its faster & more powerful than both standard servo's together. You could use the standard radio gear but something like the Spektrum DX3s or Futaba 4PL might be a better option, thats what I'm changing to when I can, unless you want the Traxxas link stuff.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC poster
    ^ ozz explained it perfectly.

RC Racer
    I've been building my revo one piece at a time. Was a 2.5, but converted it to the 3.3 chassis. Has rpm a arms, the trx aluminium turnbuckles and push rods, eliminated the reverse with the kit. Bought 3.3 transmission housing to build up a trans with a center diff, rear brake kit and close ratio gears. Probably go with steel gears for when I get a picco .26 red dot. Buying the Teflon coated gtr shocks with TiN coated shafts. Got receiver and battery box from a slayer pro. Buying everything off eBay from what I sell off eBay. Great deals.

RC Qualifier
    For the others that have built a truck from scratch, how does the cost compare to just buying a new truck. Is it better to build from scratch when you want to put alot of upgrades in? Would it be about the same price if you just built a stock truck rather than just bought it?

RC Qualifier
    Well it depends where you find the parts. Like when I built my revo it was cheaper, also it's fun and it gives you a chance to learn the truck also you can put what ever up graded in it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzillia54 View Post
    Well it depends where you find the parts. Like when I built my revo it was cheaper, also it's fun and it gives you a chance to learn the truck also you can put what ever up graded in it
    I had the thought that I would want to put my radio receiver and rpm a-arms and cvds and all that so I can see how it may be more expensive but you save in the long run when you get upgrades.

RC Racer
    I bought my revo for $20 and put about $150 in it so far. So its been cheaper for me than buying a complete new one that's all stock and then having to spend more money upgrading it. All said and done I'll probably have $400 in it.

RC poster
    Revo build's going on the back burner, I had to replace my 3.3 on my tmaxx, went with.26 picco reddot max. I ordered the spektrum dx3s with 2 receivers and telemetry. So I guess I'll be installing that on my tmaxx.