Thread: Water cooling.

RC Qualifier

Lightbulb Water cooling.

Can there be a way to water cool a MERV?? I was thinking fill one of the battery compartments with water (sealed with plexi-glass) with a micro brushless motor propelling the water out of one vent which has fuel tubing connected with it. The tubing then goes around the ESC and motor heat sinks and the water comes back to the other vent and it has ice gel to cool the hot water. Any flaws with this? Would it be possible and could one of you builders like Daniel77hr build it??? Thought you guys would like this idea.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Champion
    it would be awesome if you could get it to work. maybe you could get one of those mini water pumps and hook it to the tubes that go around the motor like DGB did in his water cooled slash, but instead of using a radiator you could use an ice pack, just a thought. here is a link to DGB's build
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...r-cooled-slash

RC Qualifier
    A pump would work better. Is there a jacket for the motor that would fit the Velineon 380?? I'm thinking csomething that is like in the Spartan.

RC Champion
    i found one for a 380 sized motor that you could hook up maybe
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-fei380-jacket

RC Qualifier
    Cool idea but I don't think it's practical. Just that much more to go wrong. Plus the money could be spent on a better system that doesn't need liquid cooling, besides if the system is getting hot enough to need liquid cooling your really over working the motor, esc and probably the batteries too. I also dont see a radiator-less system working all that well for cooling. The ice will melt quickly, then the water will hold the heat causing the system to heat up faster. So I'd say a radiator is a must have if you plan on liquid cooling.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Qualifier
    ^ Ah. Never thought about that. That kind of put a stopper on things and I'm highjacking my own thread.
    ? Is a Castle Sidewinder SCT on a 1415 4 Pole on Traxxas 3s overkill?

RC Qualifier
    I wasn't trying to kill the idea off, just bringing the idea down to earth.

Personally I dont think you can have too much power if you have the finesse to utilize said power. I'd say just make sure the motor has a higher kv than 4000, other wise you wont go quite as fast as stock.

adding a pound of equipment to bandaid an improper setup issue seems not smart......

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    ^ Ah. Never thought about that. That kind of put a stopper on things and I'm highjacking my own thread.
    ? Is a Castle Sidewinder SCT on a 1415 4 Pole on Traxxas 3s overkill?
    I would go for a 1406 with a mmp

RC Qualifier
    C'mon...Don't be so rude with him... He is just thinking in a different way to keep the temps down...The water cooling system isn't so heavy and if you have at least the idea of what are you going to do...is more easy than you think

Right now, the problem is the size of the car...my watercooling system is just for 1/10 and 1/8 trucks but I think is possible make one for 1/16 cars...

If you have any questions let me know
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    ^ Sorry, I didn't mean for that to be rude. How do you get water in it? Like my idea of a tank or just in the pump???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    ^ Sorry, I didn't mean for that to be rude. How do you get water in it? Like my idea of a tank or just in the pump???
    I wasn't talking about you...
    I just put the water into the tubes...maybe i am going to get a small tank because is more easy put the water without have air bubbles in the system...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    I wasn't talking about you...
    I just put the water into the tubes...maybe i am going to get a small tank because is more easy put the water without have air bubbles in the system...
    again, bandaiding a problem with a pound of water and junk attached to the vehicle is not smart

fix your gearing/setup issues

there is no need for bandaids on vehicles that aren't hacked together

RC Qualifier
    I have to agree with jimbo74 here. You could do it but it would be fixing something that isn't broke.

RC Qualifier
    ^ Yeah, but it would be neat. Mabey fans would be more efficient?

RC Champion
    Some people like doing things like this just for a project to work on not necessarily because it's needed. If you decide to attempt it good luck and keep us updated.

The Sidewinder SV2 works very nicely in the MERV with the 4600 or 5700 motor.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 11-23-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. I'll probably do it when I have the $$ and time.

RC Qualifier
    I think fans are a similar bandaid. If the system is set up properly than you shouldn't need any kind of extra cooling. You need to gear the system according to what it tells you (by it's heat) not by how fast you want to go (unless you want slower). If you can't get going fast enough then a new motor/esc is the next logical step other wise your just gonna help the stock system go belly up faster.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajekalBum View Post
    I think fans are a similar bandaid. If the system is set up properly than you shouldn't need any kind of extra cooling. You need to gear the system according to what it tells you (by it's heat) not by how fast you want to go (unless you want slower). If you can't get going fast enough then a new motor/esc is the next logical step other wise your just gonna help the stock system go belly up faster.
    That's why I remove the fans from the MMP speed controls. They don't kick in until 160 degrees and since I like to keep my ESC below 160-ish having it on there is just trapping in heat the whole time.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Well...The decision is for MooseSlash...If you want, you could make a water cooling system or you could just change the motor...

If you go with the water cooling system, I can help you...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    right now im making an liquid cooled slash(antifreeze mix)
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Champion
    soa are you going to try it ?
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.