RC poster

Need a part for a Vintage Eagle or maybe a Blue Eagle

When I was a teen I bought what I think was a Traxxas Eagle around 1992. (or maybe a Blue Eagle? How can I tell the difference?) My brother, dad, and I all had RC cars and over the years we'll all get them out on occasion and have a great time. Several years ago though, my Eagle broke a part on its front end.

I'm getting my 10 year old son a Tamiya Grasshopper for his birthday at the end of this month and I wanted to get my Eagle back up and running. However I'm having a real hard time finding the part I need.

It doesn't help that I've forgotten everything I learned about RC 20 years ago. I don't even know the name of the part. Maybe the steering block?

Anyway, in an effort to explain the part, here are a couple pics. These are not my truck. It's a pic of a Blue Eagle I found elsewhere, but I've drawn some arrows to show you the part.

It's just the main block that attaches to the chassis. The pin that goes through this block now pulls out because the plastic of the main block snapped open. So as soon as I start driving it, the pin just yanks right out.

I've included a crude drawing here too.

And if this part is not sold any more, can I replace the whole front end somehow? Thanks for any help!

RC poster
    Here's a part I found on Ebay that looks like the part I need, but it's for a different truck. I guess it's called the bulkhead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Fron...item4abe7ea225

RC poster
    Ok, now that I figured out what it's called, I have found 1 on ebay but there will be a 5 day bidding process...ugh. Any other suggestions would be great. Know any online shops that sell this sort of part or is there a way to make another part work?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    Its Traxxas part #1630 Traxxas parts list calls it "suspension arm bracket"

But yes commonly referred to as a bulkhead. I have a used one in white but its on a Hawk chassis I was trying to sell. If you dont wanna wait for the bidding, shoot me a PM maybe we can work something out.

Dave
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Here's the bulkhead you need. Unfortunately, it comes with a bunch of other parts and some, if not all of them won't fit your truck. But it is the correct bulkhead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-SLED...item27cd00163c

I will take a look and see if I have any more of them laying around. I sold a good majority of my vintage stuff in the past six months, but I thought I saw one of those bulks somewhere.

It is possible to use the first one you linked to also. That's the newer bulkhead that fits the Rustler, Slash, Bandit and all those 2wd models. Someone posted a thread on how to do the mod, but it was years ago and I'll have to see if I can find it.

Whatever you decide to do, do yourself a big favor and make a hinge pin brace. That will be 99% effective at keeping this problem from happening again.

Here's the thread with the Rustler bulkhead mounted to the Blue Eagle:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Project-begins

Thought there was more detail as to the install process, but I couldn't find any.

As for whether you have an Eagle or Blue Eagle, the most obvious thing would be the blue shocks and motor plate/guard on the Blue Eagle versus the gold shocks and black motor guard on the original Eagle. The Blue Eagle also has a steering rack (bellcranks) where the Eagle had straight steering links mounted directly to the servo. The Blue Eagle also has the 3-gear Magnum transmission with slipper clutch and the Eagle has the older trans like the Bullet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Whatever you decide to do, do yourself a big favor and make a hinge pin brace. That will be 99% effective at keeping this problem from happening again.
    FO-SURE!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know an eBay seller that has a new one, but he's these days out due to the holiday... I'll send you the link for his eBay store tonight...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    Is that my Blue Eagle LS in the pics.....looks good

As far as the bulkhead goes I have an extra one I would be willing to sell you, if any of the other options mentioned above do not work out.

RC poster

Smile

You guys are awesome, thanks so much for all the info! By the time I finished posting I had bid on the ebay item and ordered the Rustler bulkhead anyway. So we'll see what happens with the bidding on ebay and I will probably try the Rustler bulkhead if I don't get it for some reason. Thanks for that link harry697.

Also based on your description of Eagle vs. Blue Eagle I definitely have the Blue Eagle. I was pretty sure it looked just like the one in the pics above but I wanted to be sure, and it does. At least as far as the blue shocks and motor plate go. That's good to know.

Appreciate the guys who have the part available. I'll definitely be in touch if the bidding falls through and I can't figure out the Rustler bulkhead for some reason.

@3trxvintage - It may very well be yours. I did pull it off a thread from here somewhere I believe as I was searching the forums before I posted trying to figure this out. Nice looking truck!

I'll definitely do some research on the hinge pin brace too. Would like to avoid it happening again if at all possible. Obviously not something easy to fix nowadays.

Thanks again to everyone!

RC Champion
    how much does a eagle go for? i have one. i am thinking selling it for 65$
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Champion
    Not trying to HJ the thread, but sent you a PM there Glow.

RC poster
    Just a heads up that I did win that auction on ebay so will be expecting it soon. Will try to remember to post a couple pics!

RC Champion
    Cool! And at a great price

Do post some pics of your Blue eagle, we all love pic's

RC poster
    It's not pretty like most of the pics I've seen on the forum and the body looks like a 14 year old painted it (which I was at the time), but I'll post them.

RC Champion
    You can also use the 2 piece bulkheads. Not sure of the part number but they bolt right onto a Blue Eagle. Also there were some of the original bulkheads made in the later black plastic. Not the best for a restoration but for a runner they would be the better choice.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    You can also use the 2 piece bulkheads. Not sure of the part number but they bolt right onto a Blue Eagle. Also there were some of the original bulkheads made in the later black plastic. Not the best for a restoration but for a runner they would be the better choice.
    2731 is the part number for the 2-piece bulkhead used on the TRX-1 and Nitro Hawk. I've never used them on a Blue Eagle myself, but did see them on yours and they looked like they worked fine.

RC poster
    Been working on my truck and was hoping I could once again tap the brain trust here. I got the bulkhead and have got it fixed. I also got a new 3000 mah battery and charger. I've run it around the yard a bit but it dies really fast. Maybe a minute of run time. Granted it hasn't run for years... Anyway, here are some questions.

1. The hinge pin brace. I've looked over the link you guys provided but I don't have the tools to cut a piece of metal to do that. Can anyone recommend a different method or a place to buy one?

2. When I plug the battery in, I hear a high pitched whining sound. I think it's coming from the speed controller. Is that normal?

3. I have an old Super Stock 34 motor. Can you guys recommend a mid-range motor or 2 that I should look at?

4. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at to figure out why the run time is so short?

Thanks again guys! I've got some pics I'm hoping to post tomorrow.

RC Champion
    Cool,another Blue Eagle Fan! Welcome to the vintage electric forum gronendael !!

Wow,one minute of run time out of a fresh 3000 mah battery pack is terrible indeed. I was getting nearly 15 minutes out of two generic 3300 mah packs in my old E-Maxx.

But some packs seem to need to be cycled[charged and dis-charged] a few times before they really work well. What brand battery pack and charger did you pick up? I'm not a battery expert by any means but a bit more info might help us figure out what's up there.

It may also be that you have a few bearings in your bearing carriers/front rims and possibly your transmission too,that are dried out or siezed and causing excessive drag. And if your transmission/differential hasn't seen any servicing lately, it could be suffering from some seriously gummed up lubricant. Dried out old grease and dirt/dust and rust can really cause things to drag and hurt your run time and performance in a big way.

Have you lubricated the bushings in your motor since you brought the Blue Eagle out of storage? I would also check and make sure that the brushes aren't hung up in the housings too. Old motor lube and dust can cause them to bind and result in lousy performance and run time. And if left that way too long, it will burn the Comm.[the area the brushes contact inside the motor]resulting in the dreaded puff of smoke we all hate.

As for the high pitched noise from the speed controller,that definitely sounds odd. I would guess that something is shorting out in there.

I've been running an old yellow[non-water proof] Traxxas XL-5 ESC[speed controller] with a Traxxas 12 turn Titan 550 motor in my old Hawk2 for a few years now and having excellent luck with them so far. And you can find both for really decent prices here in the Marketplace or on Fleabay,etc....
    A lot of people complain about the 12 turn Titan burning up too fast but with proper maintenance and gearing, mine has been trouble free since I bought it. And I'm more than happy with the performance it offers,especially on 7 cell battery packs. Then it flat out screams!

Anyways,I hope you can use some of this info to work through your current problems and get back to having fun with your Blue Eagle.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC poster
    This is great...thanks! I have a Tenergy battery as well as a Tenergy Universal Smart Charger.

And I haven't lubricated anything which I had thought about but hadn't done. I'll do that for sure. Thanks also for the motor recommendation.

Once I go through some of these things ill repost with how it's going. I've taken some pics...just need to remember to post them!

RC Champion
    If your going to be running a brushed setup I suggest getting a Castle Sv2 and a Trinity Speedgems 19t double ruby. If you were to get that setup you would also need a programing card or PC adapter for the esc. Or you could go all in like I did.

Please note: Missing wheel has been replaced.

Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gronendael View Post
    This is great...thanks! I have a Tenergy battery as well as a Tenergy Universal Smart Charger.

And I haven't lubricated anything which I had thought about but hadn't done. I'll do that for sure. Thanks also for the motor recommendation.

Once I go through some of these things ill repost with how it's going. I've taken some pics...just need to remember to post them!

No problem,I'm glad to help whenever I can.

Sorry but I have no experience with Tenergy packs or chargers so I can't help you there but as I said, the pack might just need to be cycled a few times before it hits its peak, performance wise.

If you do find any seized or damaged bearings, just order up some Stampede/Rustler/Bandit 5x11mm. bearings and you'll be good to go in no time.

The same thing goes with your transmission's internal parts, you will be looking for original parts for years but Stampede,Rusty or Bandit transmission parts drop right into the Hawk2 transmission.

I've been running a Stampede Alloy Idler Gear and Diff. kit in my Hawk2 for over five years. But I had to trim almost a half inch off of the shaft of my Titan 550 motor to clear my original Hawk2 gear cover. An XL-5 Stampede,etc.. gear cover would have eliminated that issue but I didn't find out about that until a few weeks later.

RC poster
    She's not pretty but here she is...and I love her

Last edited by gronendael; 12-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.

RC Champion
    Cool! Always nice to see a vintage runner!

I bought myself another Blue Eagle roller last week (from a member here), Pretty complete minus wheels/body. Was gonna run it, But I parted it out Just sold the rest of the parts yesterday. Sometimes I'm crazy like that, buy it, clean it up, flip it. $$.

But anyhow, good to see your using it, Looks to be in pretty decent shape really.

RC Champion
    Not Pretty? It looks like a million bucks compared to my Blue Eagle when I bought it.

Mine looked like someone had tied it to the back bumper of a real car and dragged it down a gravel road at forty miles per hour for a few miles. I had to replace everything but the chassis and steering to get it looking half as nice as yours.

And you've got the original body,that's awesome! Not to mention that its painted Red and I've always been a sucker for a red paint job,so you gotta know that I drool all over myself when I see a Ferrari

But I do have one more piece of advice for you. Ditch those Tamiya battery connectors as soon as possible,they build up so much heat and resistance that they are famous for welding themselves together! Its happened to me so many times that I gave up on Tamiya connectors two years ago.

Grab yourself some Traxxas High Current Connectors,they work sooo much better!!! And unlike Deans connectors they are much easier to get a grip on when you are trying to separate them.

Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    Cool! Always nice to see a vintage runner!

I bought myself another Blue Eagle roller last week (from a member here), Pretty complete minus wheels/body. Was gonna run it, But I parted it out Just sold the rest of the parts yesterday. Sometimes I'm crazy like that, buy it, clean it up, flip it. $$.

But anyhow, good to see your using it, Looks to be in pretty decent shape really.

Awww Nuts!!! I was going to PM you and ask about it a few days ago but my wife's cat distracted me and I forgot about it. Excuse me while I go shoot that darned cat!! Here kitty kitty,lol.

Of course I'm only joking!!!! She is actually a real sweetheart and the best mouser we've ever had.
    Last edited by MOPAR MARV; 12-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MOPAR MARV View Post
    Ditch those Tamiya battery connectors as soon as possible,they build up so much heat and resistance that they are famous for welding themselves together!
    +1 Those connectors IMO are useless if your using them on a runner.

gronendael, Is that a old Rooster ESC your runnin there?

And Hey Marv!

Long time no talk man. The B/E I bought didnt last long at all, Kept the bumper, sold the shocks to Daniel, and another dude on E-Bay bought all the rest. In one hand and out the other.... but came out on a great + for me.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 12-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post

And Hey Marv!

Long time no talk man. The B/E I bought didnt last long at all, Kept the bumper, sold the shocks to Daniel, and another dude on E-Bay bought all the rest. In one hand and out the other.... but came out on a great + for me.

Yeah, it has been a while but I'm back for the winter. And that's good, cause I kinda missed hanging out with all you vintage RC maniacs,lol.

It was one seriously busy spring/ summer/fall this year, I don't think I got to spend more than a couple of hours running my RCs in the last eight months. Even when I wasn't working for pay, the wife had me running my buns off,literally,I've lost nearly thirty pounds since May. I am a mere shadow of my former self,lol.

But now its time to rest up a bit,work on some of my RCs and try to help out around here.

Darn it,I should have known Daniel would beat me to those shocks, he always gets all the good stuff.[insert sad smiley here,lol.]

But I'll shut up now, before we completely derail gronendael's thread.

RC poster
    Yeah it is a Rooster ESC I think. It's what's making that high-pitched whining sound.

And can I just splice the Tamiya connectors with new ones? or is there more to it than that?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-10-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    Yeah well its for sure a Novak ESC and looks to be the Rooster model.

The high pitched noise is possibly coming from your motor, and not the ESC it is kinda normal. (disconnect your motor and try the throttle see if its still there)

The sound is usually caused from the ESC pulsing power to your motor at a high frequency, causing the armature to vibrate and create the sound.

I wouldn't splice on any connector, rather just cut the connector off and solder on new ones. (making sure you have enough length on both the esc and batt.) Traxxas high currents or Deans, Like marv said I too personally like the TRX ones better.

RC poster
    I wanted to thank you guys again for all the help you provided. I was able to get everything up and running with a new 12 turn Titan 550 motor and I had plans to make some of the other changes recommended. Unfortunately, during my first real run outside with the truck, I pretty much broke it for good.

The first time I flipped it, the rear piece of plastic that holds the body on snapped on both sides. Within 2 minutes, the right front arm snapped in two. I hadn't even hit anything.

In its prime, I flipped it and smashed things frequently as we all do I think. It seems that the plastic parts have just become brittle over time...

I'm not sure what to do with the old girl now. Even if I fix the parts that broke, I feel like it will only continue to happen and would be a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm now in the market for a new truck. I've looked around a bit but am having a little trouble finding kits you actually build. Everything is RTR! What's up with that?!

Anyway, can you guys recommend any Intermediate electric truck kits that are not RTR? I love Traxxas but am open to any brand really. Just want to have some fun with family. Thanks!

Here's a pic of where the damage occurred.

I had the same problem with pretty much every vintage vehicle I tried to run with white plastics. They definitely get brittle over time. BITD, I never broke a single suspension piece on my Blue Eagle. Nowadays, if you look at them wrong, they will snap.

Best bet is to replace all the white plastics with newer black pieces. I did that with my TRX-1 and it was bulletproof.

RC Champion
    As long as the trans case and chassis are still in good shape you can make that rig as good as any Rustler.
    Oderint Dum Metuant