Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 55
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391

    Motocross / Dirt Biking Thread <Pictures and Videos>

    Just thought I would make a thread to see if anyone else out there in the Traxxas world either races motocross or rides dirt bikes. Also post some pictures or vidoes up of your bike!

    I'll start:

    I have an 02 Yamaha YZ125 that I race in the 125 youth C class and/or open C at Hemond's MX Park in Minot Maine. I also play ride in the Sand pits and do a little trail riding.



    GoPro Helmet Cam Videos:

    Uncut video right off the gopro:


    Editied with music and crashes!
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,197
    Looks like fun!

    Now open that throttle on that thing all the way and leave it there! That's how 125's were meant to be ridden. Not sure why they even put throttle cables on them.

    I had a 99 YZ125 and it was a nice bike. My buddy bought an 01 and it was even a little nicer. I kinda miss the 2-stroke days.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    567
    i have 2 97 kawasaki 2 strokes, one has been rebuilt to run like new, well rebuilt the top end with new rings and a piston, installed new plastics... sadly i dont have any pictures (camera broke) and it is a storage shead to keep it safe from the natural surroundings (snow, rain, etc...) my other is completely stock except for some aftermarket handlebars....
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,197
    Here's the last 125 I had. 02 CR125 with full port/polish and head mods, aftermarket piston, Pro Circuit Platinum with Shorty silencer, V-Force intake, Renthal Twin Walls, Devol radiator guards, re-valved and re-sprung suspension, Excel rims (not sure why the stock front is on there), and a bunch of other goodies.



    I have some racing and random big jump vids, but I think they're all on VHS. Any idea how I can get them on the computer?

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Sick bike. Looks great. As you can kinda tell from my bike, I love it when people make older bikes look like new again. Love the white. I was going to give my YZ the white/red theme but a new gas tank is like $150 and the stock blue one just wouldn't cut it.

    Also, I don't think there is a way to get VHS to Computer. Just way many decades apart.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,197
    Yeah, the blue tank kinda limits the choices. There was a yellow graphics kit for my 99 YZ125 from Factory Effex. I got that and painted the frame yellow, all with stock blue plastics. It was really my friend's idea and I was really hesitant because it didn't sound like it would work, but it actually looked really good. No pics of that one because I don't even think we had a digital camera back then. That was one nice thing about the Hondas. The tank was black and aside from that, you couldn't really see it regardless.

    All I know is those YZ125's from 98 and up were really fast bikes right out of the crate. My CR125 didn't hold a candle to it in stock form, but after all the mods it was a little on the scary side. Still no bottom or mid power, but the top end and over-rev was just insane! The Yamahas just had great power all the way through the range. Sounds kinda strange since 125's have pretty much nothing until they get into the powerband anyhow, but the Honda was just plain sad if it fell off of the pipe.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Enumclaw,WA
    Posts
    739
    Here's my 2007 CRF250R before one of my races (I'm on the right)



    And here it is after the race






    Here I am at my Last race (Rimrock GP)





    Here is a short video at the Rimrock Lake race




    Here is my 2001 YZ125 before I sold it

    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    117
    I have a 2005 Honda Crf250r, I had a go pro hero 1 but it was stolen at my local arenacross it's a great bike and I plan in racing this year!
    Those pictures were taken in tugg hill plateau, NY.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 VXL/3Racing sakura D3
    Castle Powered

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Sick bikes guys. And BoostedSupra10, it sucks that your gopro got stolen. I don't know how people can do that. The way the attutude is a the motocross track has really gone down hill. Over half of the kids just have rich parents but no dedication for the sport like you and I do. Those people don't understand that we work for our stuff. Also there has been so much drugs and stuff going on. I've avoided it as much as I can, but it seems like everywhere I look, there is somebody smokin pot. Wish the sport could be more friendly like it used to be. My dad has told me so many stories on how it used to be. I just try to choose my friends wisely.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    567
    i worked for everything i have, with the exception of my sl4sh and my 2wd pede. (sl4sh and 2wd were given to me on Birthdays- go figure lol). and that got me into the hobby, ever sense then i have gotten sevral jobs and bought a e revo, summit, a emaxx, paid for a top end re-build on my sister's 2006 ktm 85 2 stroke (the mechanic was nice and gave me a discount to have both of the top ends rebuilt on my bike and my sisters), i have also purchased sevral upgrades. I even bought those two dirtbikes myself; along with every upgrade all my rc's have (I.E. xo-1 motor and esc along with batterries for the erbe, gh bulkheads for the emaxx, stock skid for the rear because thats all the hobby shop had, a brand new micro server, and i can go on)

    The way to succede to raise a child that isnt lazy, rude, or get into trouble such as drugs; is to raise them the "old fashioned way". A belt for nearly every mis-behavior. my .02 cents
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burley idaho
    Posts
    162
    I ride a wr 250 f 2007
    Do you crf 250r guys have problems in the valves? My local atv shop said that the valves in those bikes are soft as heck.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Enumclaw,WA
    Posts
    739
    I haven't had had a problem but I upgraded them soon after I got the CRF, but yes I have heard CRF's have soft valves.
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Valves and stuff like that are the reason I stick with riding a 2 smoker. Being 15, im not made of money and definetly could not afford a rebuild if a 250f blue up. I have a hard time as it is rebuilding my 2 stroke if it goes. (I rebuild it every winter, sometimes it blows in the middle of the season if I ride it hard enough). I know 4 strokes have the edge, but in the C class that I race in, It's more about skill than bike. When you go pro, every second counts, that why they are on 4 strokes, but in C class, I might loose a second or two a lap to the same skilled rider as me on the 4 stroke, but I can easily make that second or two up by jumping a jump he doesn't.

    Long live the 2 strokes!!!!!!!
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Just thought I would post this.....

    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,076
    Me of course.





    Me and my 9 year old nephew.



    My nephew once again!



    Last edited by Stephan81; 11-22-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    What kind of bike do you have. CRF250 or 450? And your nephew is on a kx65 correct?
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,197
    Quote Originally Posted by pede1497 View Post
    I ride a wr 250 f 2007
    Do you crf 250r guys have problems in the valves? My local atv shop said that the valves in those bikes are soft as heck.
    I've ridden with lots of guys and also seen lots of motors at shops with valve problems. However, my '05 CRF250R never had a single issue and I also know a handful of guys I've ridden with CRF250's and 450's that have never had problems. My bike was ridden hard and raced regularly in motocross and Hare Scramble events. Same with my buddy and his CRF450. Matter of fact, the last Hare Scramble I raced, I was waiting fo my line to go. It was a dead start, so everybody was practicing starting their bikes and taking off. I put mine in second gear, pulled the clutch in and kicked once and the bike started. I did that probably 10 times in a row before we started and these guys next to me couldn't believe it. They were asking me about my clutch setup and carb settings. Bike was 100% stock. Needless to say I got the holeshot on that race too.

    From what I've observed, 99% of the guys having valve problems were easy to see why. They're usually the guys who don't maintain and service their bikes the way they're supposed to. These are high performance racing engines and they need to be treated that way. I changed my engine and trans oil after every weekend (probably 8-10 hours at the very most). Air filter was cleaned and re-oiled after every ride. I also pulled the valve cover and checked the valve clearances as recommended. Another big thing I noticed with the guys having problems is that they ran cheap gas, usually 87 octane because it's cheaper. These are all things that you could get away with on an XR250, but not with a CRF. Keep the fluids fresh, run good gas, do routine maintenance, and these motors will last for a long time.


    I talked to one kid that had a brand new 2006 CRF250R and the only way he could start it was by pushing it down a hill. He didn't even know where the oil drain plug was, nor what kind of oil to use in it. He was also asking me things like how to adjust the pilot screw and how to check valve clearance. Just goes to show that he never did anything to his new bike and expected it to keep running like it was new.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I've ridden with lots of guys and also seen lots of motors at shops with valve problems. However, my '05 CRF250R never had a single issue and I also know a handful of guys I've ridden with CRF250's and 450's that have never had problems. My bike was ridden hard and raced regularly in motocross and Hare Scramble events. Same with my buddy and his CRF450. Matter of fact, the last Hare Scramble I raced, I was waiting fo my line to go. It was a dead start, so everybody was practicing starting their bikes and taking off. I put mine in second gear, pulled the clutch in and kicked once and the bike started. I did that probably 10 times in a row before we started and these guys next to me couldn't believe it. They were asking me about my clutch setup and carb settings. Bike was 100% stock. Needless to say I got the holeshot on that race too.

    From what I've observed, 99% of the guys having valve problems were easy to see why. They're usually the guys who don't maintain and service their bikes the way they're supposed to. These are high performance racing engines and they need to be treated that way. I changed my engine and trans oil after every weekend (probably 8-10 hours at the very most). Air filter was cleaned and re-oiled after every ride. I also pulled the valve cover and checked the valve clearances as recommended. Another big thing I noticed with the guys having problems is that they ran cheap gas, usually 87 octane because it's cheaper. These are all things that you could get away with on an XR250, but not with a CRF. Keep the fluids fresh, run good gas, do routine maintenance, and these motors will last for a long time.


    I talked to one kid that had a brand new 2006 CRF250R and the only way he could start it was by pushing it down a hill. He didn't even know where the oil drain plug was, nor what kind of oil to use in it. He was also asking me things like how to adjust the pilot screw and how to check valve clearance. Just goes to show that he never did anything to his new bike and expected it to keep running like it was new.
    The guys that have valve problems also rev the crap out of their bikes. Being on the limiter doesn't make you faster, your going to be faster if you grab another gear before you bounce of the limiter. Any bike will last you if you maintain it.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyxKid View Post
    What kind of bike do you have. CRF250 or 450? And your nephew is on a kx65 correct?
    Yeah it's a CRF250R. I also have a KX250F. And yes my nephew is on a KX65. It was his first season racing, he got it last Xmas
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    895
    Here are a few of mine RM125







  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Soooo sick bro. You've got more balls than I do. I have trouble just taking one hand off my bars to pull a tear off. haha.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    567
    if you have 125 2 stroke, and a 125 4 stroke, the 2 stroke is going to be faster- where as the 4 stroke is more reliable.
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,197
    Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    if you have 125 2 stroke, and a 125 4 stroke, the 2 stroke is going to be faster- where as the 4 stroke is more reliable.
    True that a 2-stroke versus 4-stroke of equal displacement, the 2-stroke will be way faster. But as far as reliability, I don't see either having the advantage. If you religiously stick to the manufacturer's maintenance intervals with either, they should both last forever. Now on the other hand, if you bought a CRF250R and a CR125R and just rode the snot out of both and did no maintenance, well it could still go either way. But if you had one of each and changed the filter, oil and all that good stuff regularly, most likely the 4-stroke would go longer before needing a rebuild.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    if you have 125 2 stroke, and a 125 4 stroke, the 2 stroke is going to be faster- where as the 4 stroke is more reliable.
    Not allways.... A 125 4t is a trail bike where the 125 2t is a race bike. All/most trail bikes both 2t and 4t are reliable. All race bikes can be reliable but not as much as a trail bikes mainly because you dont ride the trail bikes as hard as you do race bikes. As far as race bikes go 4t last longer without a problembut are more expensive. 2 strokes last a little less but are less expensive. So the answer isnt that 4t are more reliable, its that trail bikes are more reliable.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    567
    as far as price goes, it depends on the company, the year, and if it is used or new, and if its used a new factor comes in to play, how was it taken care of? what upgrades does it have? 4 strokes lug arround more (making them great for trail riding bikes) and usually the 4 stroke is more reliable because it cannot does not have the speed of the 2 stroke of the same size, so the parts on the 4 stroke are dont get as much wear, so it won't have to be rebuilt as soon as the 2 stroke has to be- if that at all makes any sense
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,197
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyxKid View Post
    Not allways.... A 125 4t is a trail bike where the 125 2t is a race bike. All/most trail bikes both 2t and 4t are reliable. All race bikes can be reliable but not as much as a trail bikes mainly because you dont ride the trail bikes as hard as you do race bikes. As far as race bikes go 4t last longer without a problembut are more expensive. 2 strokes last a little less but are less expensive. So the answer isnt that 4t are more reliable, its that trail bikes are more reliable.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say it's because trail bikes aren't ridden as hard. I would say it's because the newer 250 and 450 race bike engines are much higher output. They generally have higher compression ratios, bigger cam shafts, more aggressive timing, etc. That's a big reason why you'll still see an XR250 from the 90's running on it's original piston and rings. There's nowhere near as much stress being put on the internals of an XR250 or even a CRF250X as there is a CRF250R.

  27. #27
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Grafenwoehr Germany
    Posts
    1,304


    Few pics from when I was racing in wanting to get back into ridein thinking about the 08 CRF 250R

  28. #28
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Here are a few of mine RM125






    Nice pics bud Very nice! Put some gear on though bro Going to regret it one day. The one time I never wore my neck brace, was the one time I got seatbounced big time off a double and went head first. Still not feeling %100 and that was in July Ride hard and have fun man!!
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    I just placed a combined $500 order through ebay/motosport. I got TONS of stuff for my 125!

    1) OEM top end kit w/ gaskits
    2) Racetech shock/fork springs for my weight (105lbs) My bike was previously set up for 180 which didn't work too well for me......
    3) Oneal MX-3 gear bag. (on sale for $65, nomally $100)
    4) ARC mx socks. On sale for .99 a pair! nomaly $9! Gotta love black friday!!!!!
    5) All Balls Fork seal/bushing kit for when I re-do my suspension this winter.
    6) Maxima fork fluid/oil.

    I think that's everything. LOL. Half of this will be my X-mas present and I bought the rest with the money I sold my slash for.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  30. #30
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Alice, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyxKid View Post
    I just placed a combined $500 order through ebay/motosport. I got TONS of stuff for my 125!

    1) OEM top end kit w/ gaskits
    2) Racetech shock/fork springs for my weight (105lbs) My bike was previously set up for 180 which didn't work too well for me......
    3) Oneal MX-3 gear bag. (on sale for $65, nomally $100)
    4) ARC mx socks. On sale for .99 a pair! nomaly $9! Gotta love black friday!!!!!
    5) All Balls Fork seal/bushing kit for when I re-do my suspension this winter.
    6) Maxima fork fluid/oil.

    I think that's everything. LOL. Half of this will be my X-mas present and I bought the rest with the money I sold my slash for.
    Nice man, bet you can't wait to get that stuff

    I just ordered up the Fly Racing 2013 Kinetic RS Combo in blue for next MX season, and my last years gear will now be my practice gear. Also ordered up a Leatt Lite Chest Protector for under my jersey. Was so close to ordering Tech10 boots to, but I will wait a bit till I get those, my boots are perfectly fine at the moment and the wife will not be impressed when I have a pair of $600 boots show up lol.





    Next I gotta order up some new numbers and decals. And pretty much good to go for the season. Have a top end kit already, and my bike has only 20hrs on it, top and bottom end redone
    Last edited by Stephan81; 11-28-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MI.
    Posts
    848
    I have a 2007 Trx450er Does that count
    Stupid 50 character Limit!!!!!

  32. #32
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dawson creek bc
    Posts
    1,108
    I have 2008 CRF450X. I have barely ridden the last two summers due tO workin too much, but when I do it's BALLS TO ThE WALL with hill climbs. I'll try to get a pic up next time I head down south

    Props to all the racers out there, looks like lots of fun
    Last edited by Kyleb; 11-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.

  33. #33
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    recalculating...
    Posts
    580
    a little background, my brother is a B class motocross racer, he's got sponsorship from FMF and our KTM shop, Elite Motorsports. I can't afford to race the big motocross races so I race hare scrambles when time allows and bikes are running, right now we have a 2011 250 SXF, a 2012 350 SXF and an 05 525 EXC. My favorite track is Thunder Valley, it's a national track in the AMA outdoor circuit and the hosted the last moto-des-nations (which was epic), the track has awesome jumps and teaches you to ride ruts like a boss.


    ^^click to watch^^












    I like turtles.

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Enumclaw,WA
    Posts
    739
    Those 2nd & 3rd pictures are awesome!
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    recalculating...
    Posts
    580
    finding a few more



    Imma low rider lol
    Last edited by Meebert; 11-30-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    I like turtles.

  36. #36
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    recalculating...
    Posts
    580
    I like turtles.

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Meebert View Post
    finding a few more



    Imma low rider lol
    haha. Looks like you snapped the rear shock shaft where it goes into the linkage. HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT!
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  38. #38
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greene Maine
    Posts
    391
    Also, I got my order. My gear bag is HUGE!!!!!!!

    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

  39. #39
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Enumclaw,WA
    Posts
    739
    Here's some more pictures of my Honda.

    This is up behind our house last winter:



    This is what it looked like when I first got it & before I put new graphics on:



    And here it is after:



    I really want to get black rims for it, I like that look.
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

  40. #40
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,197
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyxKid View Post
    haha. Looks like you snapped the rear shock shaft where it goes into the linkage. HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT!

    I saw the exact same thing happen on a YZ250 that was a few years older (steel frame). Bearings seized in the dog bone of the rear linkage. That was one expensive repair!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •