RC Competitor

Can you suggest a specific rechargeable battery pack for the receiver??

Hi All,

as per title, I have standard AA batteries in my receiver, but i'm wanting to install a pack that I can plug in and recharge overnight.

Can someone recommend a brand etc. to look for?

Cheers for your help.
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Duracel, Panasonic and Orion are all trusted brands on the mini-z forums, where punch and run time are important.
    For a tx/rx you don't need much though. Any brand name will be plenty for the low draw applications. Try to find 800+ mah batteries.

Traxxas, HPI, and Orion nimh batts work great... Never had a problem with any of these.

For bashing anything around 1400mah will give you plenty of run time....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 11-21-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Competitor
    do they have a specific name i can search for? eg Rc AA battery pack or something?

or am I missing the point, can I put these rechargeables in the car and just purchase a recharger to plug into that?

for some reason I was thinking I had to rip out the little 4 x battery holder.
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

RC Racer
    I have some experience with rechargeable AA batteries.my other hobby is photography.I had to find batteries that would hold up to heavy flash usage.I did tons of research and found eneloop batteries made by sanyo.just google them.usually around $14.00 for two.but,as with any other good batt. you need a good charger to get the most out of them.one with a soft charge option works very well.
    anyone have an extra truck,I broke mine again

RC Competitor
    Does anyone know where to buy the charger that will plug directly into the receiver/battery box in my car??
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

I would just go with rechargable double AAs. I really don't see a need to buy some fancy receiver battery.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I would just go with rechargeable double AAs. I really don't see a need to buy some fancy receiver battery.
    So you guys just pull the rechargeable out each time you return from a bash and recharge?? Or does it last a few days?
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

battery.
    So you guys just pull the rechargeable out each time you return from a bash and recharge?? Or does it last a few days?
    My rechargeable batterys last over 10 runs before I even notice that their getting a little low. I really like mine.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    My rechargeable batterys last over 10 runs before I even notice that their getting a little low. I really like mine.
    What brand are you using Wolfslash?
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

The Max life Energizer battery. I got them 2 years ago to use in my *shudders* toy rc cars. I'm not if you can still get them.

For many decent brands, check thomasdistributing.com. They offer Low Discharge AAs such as the Eneloop and the Maha Imedion as well as regular high-capacity AAs such as Sanyo and Maha Powerex. If anyone is not familiar with Maha cells, I assure you that there are huge differences in the quality of NiMH AA cells and that Sanyo and Maha are at the top.

@Wolfslash16: "Most Sony, Energizer, and Kodak rechargeable NiMH batteries are re-labeled Sanyo batteries (Sanyo OEM). You can confirm this by looking for the small ‘HR’ stamped on the bottom of the battery." It's not surprising you like them.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-21-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    And if i were to spend a little extra on these batteries, a regular charger like the one I already have (http://www.blingcheese.com/image/code/15/energizer.htm) is not suitable? Or it will do fine???
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

You also have to consider that 4 AA rechargeables give you 4.8v of power and a dedicated receiver pack is 6.0v. I know there are a few people here and there that use 5 AA to get 6.0v but where do you put them all so that it all looks clean. A decent hump pack is not that expensive; I bought mine for $12 four years ago and it still works well.
    The Super Derecho

I'll leave it up to the nitro guys regarding whether to run AAs or a receiver pack, but I need to point out that NiMH cells are 1.2 Volts when they are almost fully discharged. When fully charged they will be much closer to 1.5 Volts.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I'll leave it up to the nitro guys regarding whether to run AAs or a receiver pack, but I need to point out that NiMH cells are 1.2 Volts when they are almost fully discharged. When fully charged they will be much closer to 1.5 Volts.
    NiMH packs are much better when compared to running disposable batteries. I can go through half a gallon of fuel before recharging, and servo action is much faster and stronger. Go with the Traxxas brand stick pack
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    are these hump rechargable packs able to fit inside where the 4aa pack is stored? or is there a different cover for that?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

Fit right in.
    The Super Derecho

Also don't forget the voltage jump you are going to by running a 5cell RX NIMH pack which is 6v nominal, verses the stock 4 AA RX configuration is only 4.8v nominal. The jump in voltage equals faster/stronger servo response like 79chev described.

RC Competitor
    I bought the one traxxas sells and it has worked great.

I use the traxxas recharger battery pack like this it's a 5 cell pack also the hump pack is 5 cell too and both will fit
    Traxxas NiMH 5-Cell 6V 1200mAh Rx Flat J Revo

as for a charger I already had one from my Revo so I just use that one like this.
    Traxxas TRX Power AC/DC Peak Charger

If you get one of this pack their is a port on the side of the slayer receiver box for the recharging plug so all you need to do is lift the rubber plug and plug the charger into it you don't even need to open the receiver box to charger the battery. I will tell you this to save you from a lot of work or money. The wire set in the slayer and the slayer pro is this one

The red plug on the top right goes to the battery the red plug on the lower left is plugged into the receiver the black one is just loose in the box. The switch doesn't really have an off it just switches the battery from the red plug to the black plug. The black plug is not long enough to reach the charging port. All you need to do is unplug the red wire from the receiver run the wire out the notch for the servo wires and it will lock into the charger port from underneath and then plug the black wire into the receiver then if you want you can remove the switch it's just pulls right out and turn it around and push it back in and you're done.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran