RC Racer

tmaxx 3.3 won't start

hi there. I have done the run in procedure for the nitro truck all went well and now
    it won't work... I have checked the glow plug its fine , even changed it out and it still won't work. the control says both systems are fine the engine turns over but won't fire... have taken the wire off the glow plug and used my igniter and it still won't fire... the engine has been primed up all systems are said to be fine but won't start... the car has never been driven hard only the run in has been done... any ideas as to what the problem could be?

cheers

RC Qualifier
    Does the truck start if you keep the wheels off of the ground? If it does you've broken your clutch spring which is pretty common when going through break in. Try to start it with all 4 wheels held off of the ground and see what happens...Good luck.

RC Racer
    cheers mate I'll give that a go and see what happens. I took the air filter off and noticed that the carby might need adjusting. the trim adjustment on the controller doesn't seem to work :/ when u brake the carby doesn't adjust its position at all it just shuts off as soon as you let the throttle off a little strange

RC Qualifier
    Did you make sure that the red clip on the fuel line isn't closed? Sounds like a simple thing, but I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten about that being closed.

I don't see how a clutch spring can make it not start? The shoes shouldn't engage until you have it started and give it some throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    Did you make sure that the red clip on the fuel line isn't closed? Sounds like a simple thing, but I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten about that being closed.

I don't see how a clutch spring can make it not start? The shoes shouldn't engage until you have it started and give it some throttle.
    If the spring is broke then there's nothing to keep the shoes from flopping around and contacting the bell before a certain rpm. So when you start the engine, the crank and flywheel are turning, the shoes is hitting the bell causing it to move and turn the spur gear which spins the transmission then shafts then tires.
    Typical signs that the shoe/spring is broken is that it will stall when coming to a stop, start only when the tires are off the ground and will want to creep when trying to start when on the ground.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Ahh, got it. You learn something new every day

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    If the spring is broke then there's nothing to keep the shoes from flopping around and contacting the bell before a certain rpm. So when you start the engine, the crank and flywheel are turning, the shoes is hitting the bell causing it to move and turn the spur gear which spins the transmission then shafts then tires.
    Typical signs that the shoe/spring is broken is that it will stall when coming to a stop, start only when the tires are off the ground and will want to creep when trying to start when on the ground.
    What double G said! Lol! OP if you can post a video up with what it's doing it will go a long way to help us diagnose the problem

RC Racer
    the clutch is free spinning its not trying to engage the spur gear at all and it's not trying to lurch when trying. to start it. I'll check the clip when I get hone and see if it's crimping the fuel line in anyway. I'm still curious about the carby sticking closed it only shifts when u engage the throttle.

RC Racer
    but you have solved a problem I have with my other nitro car. as it stalls when u back off on the throttle and start engaging the brake. I'll have to strip the clutch on that one and inspect it. you guys have been very helpful. I'm new to nitro cars and haven't worked out all the lil quirks they have yet

When off throttle or while the brakes are engaged the Idle Gap should not change.

If you have no Idle Gap then you need to set it to 1mm, a #60/#61 drill bit shank can be used to get the 1mm gap.
    Idle Gap screw
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    cheers for the specs mate. I ended up changing out all the ez start gears as they bushes in them were buggered. I also changed the ez start harness nd had to change the carby as the throttle spring was also buggered. it now seems to be over fueling? I got it to start but when I pulled the trigger it would cut out :s. and when I tipped It a lot of nitro fuel would come out of the carby. now when I prime it up it wonth start so pretty much back to square 1. some interesting things happening with this car lol

RC Qualifier
    You're too rich somewhere, probably the HSN. I would reset the needles to factory and tune from there. 4 turns out from close on the HSN and make the LSN flush to what it screws into (around 1.75 turns if I remember right). If you need tuning tips, there's a few ways for help. One is your manual, it should give you a general idea of what to do, number two is a very popular post on here from Nitronaught where he goes over the basics, and finally, there are multiple YouTube videos helping you out, from people such as Squirrelod that can help more than text or pictures because you can hear what a lean engine sounds like, etc.

RC Racer
    yea I have another nitro car which I have to replace the clutch in. cheers for the heads up I will go through and adjust all my setting s and see if that helps the problem cheers for all the info I'll hit up you tuber