RC Enthusiast

E maxx brushless gearing help

i just bought a emaxx brushless 3908 model used and want to know what gear set up anyone recommends having this truck for off road use like dust and small rocks, dirt. i plan to run 4s lipos only i have the traxxas 7600mah 25c 2s set for long run times. i like long run times and good power. i was thinking of doing a 65/23 gearing for it. any ideas or suggestions ? thanks

RC Qualifier
    Stock gearing is 68/17 which is a ratio of 4.0. Decreasing this ratio will give you more top end (straight line speed) and less torque (acceleration).
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

23/65 gearing w/4s lipo would get you more speed on top end and less accel torque off the line but at the same time increase temps but not too bad since your only running 4s. I'm running 21/65 and its got both nice evenly take off and top end. stock gearing of 17/68 has alot of wheelies going on which i like but its a little too much and top end is limited. I assume you have the MMM castle/traxxas stock esc/motor right? if so then 21/65 would be good you can still wheelie but its under control and top end is nice as well.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    I was running my maxx on 6s w/24-65. wonder if i overheated the esc and thats what caused it to runaway? I think Im going to switch back to 22-65t next time.

RC Enthusiast
    yes i do have a mmm and 2200kv caslte motor, i bought it used from a guy on ebay im just waiting for it to arrive. i dont know what he has it geared when it arrives but i want to gear it properly for my use. would a 62/21 gearing be too much for light off road use ? or you think its better to do a 65/23 for more top end speed ?

it ran away ? was it too fast with that gearing with a 3s the 24/65 ? that seems good for racing use
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-21-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    Fusion, no not too fast. I actually loved it, its awsome on a parking lot. . What i meant by runaway was it lost signal or somthing and took off on its own with no input to tx.

RC Enthusiast
    oh ive had it happen once i lost signal in a 2.4 tqi and it crahsed, i dont know it happen and a few other times it has gliched also a bit. but thanks for the gearing advice it sure helps me